Video Editing Software

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 06, 2004 at 13:06
ThreadID: 11053 Views:1345 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hey guys, a bit off the track I know but basically I have heaps of digital 4WD pics and short movie clips from my digital camera taken from various trips and shows and I want to put them all together, chuck in some mp3s in the background and have something to wow the mates with.
I have tried using moviemaker on XP but I have found that the quality is no good even on the best settings. Wondering if anyone has done anything similar and knows any good software packages?
Thanks
Tim
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: cokeaddict - Saturday, Mar 06, 2004 at 13:14

Saturday, Mar 06, 2004 at 13:14
Hi Tim,
First off i need to know what system you are running....eg.. CPU type. how big is your HDD, how much ram etc, If you can give me as much detail as you can about your seyetem, I can help you with your editing. I have done years of editing and love it but it sure will be time consuming for you. Hope you have plenty of sapre time up your sleeve, but its well worth it in the long run.
I assume you are running XP from your coments, is it Home or professional?

Let me know and i can help you

Regards Angelo
AnswerID: 49364

Follow Up By: Tim - Saturday, Mar 06, 2004 at 18:28

Saturday, Mar 06, 2004 at 18:28
OK, don't laugh, I do a fair bit of work on computers at work with PLCs and stuff as an industrial eleco BUT I am not totally sure what the machine is.
It either a 800 or 1G with 256Mb RAM, HDD is huge (80Gb I think) and its XP home.
Thanks
Tim
FollowupID: 311199

Follow Up By: cokeaddict - Sunday, Mar 07, 2004 at 10:12

Sunday, Mar 07, 2004 at 10:12
Tim,
without sounding offencive, the system you are running is border line as far as video editing goes. It can do the job, but the speed of your system will frustrate you over time.
Saying that and reading comments from others in here, which are all good. If you just want to burn some home dvd's and show them to friends, then i would recomend ulead Movie Maker 2, as Paul mentioned, it is very easy to use and gives you the basics to make your dvd look presentable to others.
The Pinnacle is also fantastic but unless your thinking of going more professional in your presentations, its really overkill for what you want to do.
I use most of the major video editing programs myself as some have more to offer in some areas than others and its handy to combine the best into 1, but keep in mind i do lots of weddings and other functions for people so its way above what you need to do.

Ok so id suggest either......
Ulead Movie Factory 2 OR
Ulead Video Studio 6 OR 7 SE (special edition) they are good programs and in most cases you can get a free copy of it bundled inside things like graphics cards and the like.
Another good basic one is Power Director.

If you need more advice please contact me at this address....

cokeaddict@optusnet.com.au feel free...after all if we cant help each other then whats the point of being here.
FollowupID: 311238

Reply By: Dave from Fraser Coast 4WD Club - Saturday, Mar 06, 2004 at 16:06

Saturday, Mar 06, 2004 at 16:06
I have found that the single biggest factor in quality DV production is the speed that your hard drive recieves the data from the camera.

On my laptop, it's acceptable but not quality, on the comp at home it's good. At home I use WMM at work, if I want to get tricky we use pinnacle (with the hardware accelerator)

My 2c, if its just for personal use, I've found WMM easy to use and of a high enough quality. If you want to do amazing things then look at Pinnacle, trouble with the good gear is that it takes forever to render, so you end up getting frustrated (well I do anyway)
AnswerID: 49380

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Saturday, Mar 06, 2004 at 20:14

Saturday, Mar 06, 2004 at 20:14
We use Adobe (?) Pinnacle - I think David has put in a post (would now be in archives) some time ago. It might be worth a search. It's a fantastic, professional, bit of software.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 49404

Reply By: Coops (Pilbara) - Saturday, Mar 06, 2004 at 22:34

Saturday, Mar 06, 2004 at 22:34
I have Pinnacle editing software which will cost you a motza to start with but appears to be pretty good.
Haven't explored it much at this stage as my Hard Drive is full and I need an upgrade. That should happen in next few weeks.
AnswerID: 49414

Reply By: Member - Paul H - Sunday, Mar 07, 2004 at 08:30

Sunday, Mar 07, 2004 at 08:30
Hi Tim, Depends on how serious you want to get in to it.
I use ulead DVD Movie factory2 & found it very simple & easy to use. (suits me jst fine) Its not as compliated as some of the others around & can copy from your DV camera via firewire straight on to DVD format in real time.(Not hours of rendering) From there its just a case of editing & creating scene selections & then your right to burn a DVD of your "movie".
I think there would be newer versions of this program around. Ulead do have a website. Check them out if just for a comparison

Good luck,

Paul
PMK
AnswerID: 49423

Reply By: Patsy - Sunday, Mar 07, 2004 at 10:49

Sunday, Mar 07, 2004 at 10:49
Hi Tim
I have "Pinnacle Studio 7" which I purchased from Harvey Norman for around $179.00. It is 1000 x better than moviemaker on XP.
Cheers
Patsy

AnswerID: 49427

Follow Up By: Matt (W.A.) - Monday, Mar 08, 2004 at 10:01

Monday, Mar 08, 2004 at 10:01
Hi Tim,
I use Pinnacle Studio 9 with the hollywood effects great Package, Got it from Plaza Digital for $249 Full Version it's $349 if you need the Digital Capture (Fire Wire) Card as well very easy to use it also has a Preview Capture so you can doo all the editing without having to capture the whole video onto your hard drive, An Hour and a half DV Tape can take up to 10Gig to store on your PC As Full DV Quality Capture!
The Speed of your PC WILL be a BIG factor i have a P4 3.0Ghz with a Gig of Ram and its not Bad!
FollowupID: 311298

Sponsored Links