GlobalSat

Submitted: Tuesday, Dec 30, 2014 at 16:23
ThreadID: 110566 Views:1418 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I am about to load my registered (old) version of OziExplorer onto a similarly old Laptop Computer (Dell at this stage) to take travelling with me. I don't think the Australian topography has altered too much in the 10 years or so that I have had this OziExplorer program, so don't feel the need to rush around buying upgrades unless I can come across some compelling reason to do so.

I am looking at the Globalsat device above, which I have worked out is a means of getting a GPS fix for the program. But it says it is a mouse??? As I read through he specs onsite here it says it has a magnetic base. How do I drag a mouse around on a magnetic base? So is it a GPS satellite device or a mouse? Or both?

Would love to hear from existing users with answers. I have read the reviews etc here and if I can get this issue sorted I'll probably buy one from the store.

Thanks in advance.
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jack - Tuesday, Dec 30, 2014 at 16:25

Tuesday, Dec 30, 2014 at 16:25
Oooops . Hit the wrong key ..
The device I am considering is the Globalsat BU-353S4 Mouse GPS.
Thanks again.
Jack

AnswerID: 543519

Reply By: TomH - Tuesday, Dec 30, 2014 at 16:40

Tuesday, Dec 30, 2014 at 16:40
I have a Globalsat BT338 Bluetooth GPS I no longer require Would need to have bluetooth on your laptop for it to work

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/bt338.php#_Toc99554379
for a review

I used this with a GPS logger on a Nikon camera
AnswerID: 543520

Follow Up By: TomH - Tuesday, Dec 30, 2014 at 16:43

Tuesday, Dec 30, 2014 at 16:43
The 3534 is better described as a "puck"

Its definitely NOT a mouse as in a mouse to use with the laptop
FollowupID: 830473

Follow Up By: Member - Jack - Wednesday, Dec 31, 2014 at 15:06

Wednesday, Dec 31, 2014 at 15:06
Hi TomH.
If you want to put a price on it let me know and I may buy it.
Cheers
Jack

FollowupID: 830531

Reply By: The Explorer - Tuesday, Dec 30, 2014 at 17:10

Tuesday, Dec 30, 2014 at 17:10
Hi

As suggested by TomH above the term mouse is in reference to the gps units configuration - a small dome shaped gps with a magnetic base (the "mouse" body) with a usb cable which connects to the PC (the "mouse" tail). It is not a specific reference to your traditional "mouse" pointing device.

RE OziExplorer

You are confusing software updates to map updates. OziExplorer is a gps mapping program ..it is not a "map".

If you have a registered version of OziExplorer you get free lifetime updates - you may as well update to the latest version if this is the case. Just download the latest version from HERE and install it over your existing version. Pretty simple.

If your digital map collection is 10 years old you may well be advise to update some/all (if updates are in fact available for areas/scales of interest), but it may not be necessary. Depends what you are doing/where you are going.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 543523

Sponsored Links