Advice for travelling between Jindabyne and Omeo

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 04, 2015 at 13:45
ThreadID: 110617 Views:2779 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I will be travelling in Mid January and I'm looking for advice on the recommended track to take between Tom Groggin and Omeo. I have a camper trailer in tow and do not have a winch fitted. My FJ has plenty of ground clearance.
My options on the map appear to be the Tom Groggin track, Mount Hope rd and Beloka rd.
Or
Davies Plain Track, Mount Misery track , wheat paddock creek track and Beloka rd.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: AlbyNSW - Sunday, Jan 04, 2015 at 14:07

Sunday, Jan 04, 2015 at 14:07
I was there last week and can't help you with those tracks but can definitely advise you not to take the Mt Pinnibar route.

There was a well equipped 200 series with camper trailer in tow winching and using maxtrax for a number of hours and requiring a snatch when we last saw him and there were more difficult sections to follow so don't know how he faired

The river is low and straight forward at the Tom Groggin crossing
AnswerID: 543718

Reply By: Michael H9 - Sunday, Jan 04, 2015 at 14:39

Sunday, Jan 04, 2015 at 14:39
Davies Plain should be ok. We went via Limestone Creek which does get pretty steep in parts. I know it's probably a bit easier than Mt Pinnibar.
AnswerID: 543723

Reply By: Member - Will 76 Series - Sunday, Jan 04, 2015 at 21:29

Sunday, Jan 04, 2015 at 21:29
G'day,

Tom Groggin is a good area to camp. I have done this trip from Tom Groggin to Omeo a couple of times and my suggestion would be:
-Cross the river at Tom Groggin and proceed south down Davies Plains road. Given your tow vehicle and camper it should be fine pending the conditions. If it is wet then it will be more difficult and the crossing over the Murray River may be less viable.
Follow Davies Plain Track spitj tp tje east/west limestone road (a very good dirt road).
Davies Plain track will change to MOutn Misery trail towards the Southern end. When you hit Limestone there is anice camp area at Native dog flat about 2.5km to the east. From Limestone it is a straigt forward run west to Omeo. Great old pub at Omeo and good meals.
Have a good one, take it slow, sus out the river crossing at Tom Groggin and all should be Ok.

Regards Will
AnswerID: 543752

Reply By: jamesw - Monday, Jan 05, 2015 at 10:13

Monday, Jan 05, 2015 at 10:13
I would take the Tom Groggin track from the Murray River Crossing, Mount Hope Road then Beloke Road to the junction of The Limestone Road. It is the easiest option. You could continue on from the junction of the Tom Groggin track /Mount Hope Road and take Track 6 which will bring you out on Buenba Road, not far from the camping area. The Davies Plain Track is a steep climb up from the Murray and while it is doable with a camper it can be slippery, even in the dry, with lots of dust on the top which will result in traction loss.
AnswerID: 543778

Follow Up By: jamesw - Monday, Jan 05, 2015 at 10:21

Monday, Jan 05, 2015 at 10:21
Native Dog Flat is more than 2.5k's out of the way over to the east, approx 22k's actually, but if you have the time the spare it is a good camp. We just did a trip through the area a week ago.
FollowupID: 830803

Follow Up By: Lonelycruiser_au - Monday, Jan 05, 2015 at 15:31

Monday, Jan 05, 2015 at 15:31
Thanks heaps James. I was originally looking at the Tom Groggin track. How did you find the river crossing and are there any steep hills on this track to worry about when towing.
You also may be able to advice me on my second option, which was to go up to Corryong and take the bennambra Corryong rd down to Omeo. your thoughts on this would be appreciated.
Thanks
Mick
FollowupID: 830826

Follow Up By: jamesw - Monday, Jan 05, 2015 at 15:58

Monday, Jan 05, 2015 at 15:58
My 4wd club just did the Murray crossing towing two camper trailers over Christmas. From the pics I have seen the level is pretty low, as it normally is this time of the year. We headed over to Omeo via McKillop Bridge and Moscow Villa Hut. Most of the roads in the area you are going to are OK with a camper in tow. The Tom Groggin track is the best when towing campers. Mount Pinnibar is the hardest by far, then Davies Plain. We went from Omeo to Corryong on the road you are thinking of. It has about 50 to 60 k's of switchbacks up and over Sassafras Gap, but the road is good with great scenery. Great campsites at Nariel Creek Recreation Reserve and Staceys Bridge, both on the Corryong side. They are listed in Camps 7. The Barry Way is another alternative, but very narrow in parts and with a trailer not the most fun.

Cheers
James
FollowupID: 830829

Follow Up By: Lonelycruiser_au - Monday, Jan 05, 2015 at 20:37

Monday, Jan 05, 2015 at 20:37
Thanks again James, had a closer look at the map regarding the corryong/Benambra rd. looks like a few river crossing along the way and more frequent camp sites. Im thinking this maybe my best option. Just a little concerned of doing damage to the trailer as I have a 4000k trip back to Perth after visiting the High Country.
Thanks for sharing your knowledge.
Mick
FollowupID: 830842

Sponsored Links