Holden Rodeo Experts

Submitted: Monday, Jan 05, 2015 at 23:00
ThreadID: 110631 Views:3812 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Calling on all rodeo experts , looking for some advice on a 2005 rodeo 3.0 TD Im looking at buying.
The car has just had the clutch replaced and flywheel machined but ever since it has been in limp home mode with the check engine light on. No tacho reading, idling rough and not revving over 2600 rpm. The job was not done at a licenced workshop.
Does anyone know if the flywheel may be in the wrong position for the crank angle sensor causing the problem or could it just be a damaged sensor/wire.
Tried googling the problem but not much luck there.
Yes I know holden could scan a code for me but I dont have that option as I dont own the car and are just trying to see if anyone has had similar issues and whether it may be a simple fix and how much it might cost to repair.
Thanks in advance
Ed
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - mark D18 - Tuesday, Jan 06, 2015 at 08:24

Tuesday, Jan 06, 2015 at 08:24
Hi Edwin.

I have in my occupation worked with a few companies that had this model rodeo from new .
They all got rid of them after a couple of years because of troubles you have described , no one could sort out the issues .
In my opinion It would be a good model to leave alone. Others will disagree with my assessment for sure , but I saw the troubles first hand.

Good luck
AnswerID: 543818

Follow Up By: Bigfish - Tuesday, Jan 06, 2015 at 08:52

Tuesday, Jan 06, 2015 at 08:52
Car not functioning properly and major work done by unlicensed people. You cant be seriously thinking of buying it?
FollowupID: 830868

Follow Up By: edwin - Tuesday, Jan 06, 2015 at 09:21

Tuesday, Jan 06, 2015 at 09:21
Thanks Mark for your info.
Big fish, the work was done by licenced truck mechanics as a cashi after hours, so they do have a clue, just not as to electronics of a rodeo system hence the thread topic. It may or may not be a simple fix that is why I am asking people who may have had similar issues/experience. I have spoken to the mechanics and they are good people who thought a quick clutch replacement would be a bit of extra chrissy cash and didnt see this coming. Something may have been disturbed or it might just be a coincidence and as Mark said some just have issues.
FollowupID: 830877

Follow Up By: Ozhumvee - Tuesday, Jan 06, 2015 at 11:13

Tuesday, Jan 06, 2015 at 11:13
Sounds suspiciously like the flywheel wasn't put back on in the correct position.
Don't know about the Rodeo but usually the flywheel will only fit in one position or is marked to be fitted in one position as the crank sensor is quite often in the flywheel/bellhousing, so if the flywheel is off then the whole engine timing etc is off.
Alternatively the crank sensor might be unplugged/damaged etc during the job.
FollowupID: 830886

Reply By: Ross M - Tuesday, Jan 06, 2015 at 14:04

Tuesday, Jan 06, 2015 at 14:04
Normally a crank angle sensor detects No 1 and is therefore the beginning if the sequence.
Probably you can't get it wrong for the reason of identifying No1.
If the flywheel can be fitted in alternate positions, then the mechanics who are trusted people, are not to be trusted.

If a CAS isn't connected, all engines won't run at all because the injection system doesn't know where No 1 is. ie shootin' in the dark.

You didn't say what engine designation it is. Some models of Isuzu should be avoided unless passionate about your ability to repair it yourself.
if a 4JJ1 engine then they are very reliable.

Why not ask for it to be running properly BEFORE deciding to purchase.
Is there a reason why that particular vehicle is preferred over others of the same?
AnswerID: 543826

Follow Up By: Member - kwk56pt - Tuesday, Jan 06, 2015 at 22:05

Tuesday, Jan 06, 2015 at 22:05
I agree there is a excellent chance the flywheel has not gone back in the original position
FollowupID: 830916

Reply By: Sigmund - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2015 at 05:10

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2015 at 05:10
Try a post here:http://www.clubisuzu.com/index.php?sid=c9fcec5d34fe52d8a4bd250fd571dd82
AnswerID: 543840

Sponsored Links