Techni-ice

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 07, 2015 at 14:18
ThreadID: 110643 Views:2343 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi fellow travellers

Sent the following inquiry to Techniice customer service, but have had no response and wondered if any one has managed to solve the problem?

My thread search shows some for and some against the product, but nothing relating to dealing with this issue:

'Hi – Just looking for advice on the ‘slimy’ sheets my son has passed on (rather than see them thrown out).

Seems a problem for some users from my web research.

I have used my sheets for over ten years without a problem – possibly because I keep them frozen all the time and refreeze them as soon as I can after use.

My son bought two techni-ice ice boxes around 2 or 3 years back and has complained about his sheets from day 1.

Please advise if there is a reason these sheets (which would be much newer than mine) would be so slimy between uses and if there is any way to overcome the problem.

Many thanks'

Cheers - regards, Phil
Phil 'n Jill (WA)

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2015 at 17:29

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2015 at 17:29
Phil ! I bought about 6 sheets of Techi Ice and found it no better than anything else on the market. It has a paper/plastic ( a bit hard to tell) outer and is a bit slimy. If you want something like that, try Bunnings, you can get a thick see through plastic bag with blue gel inside, cheap at about $5 each. Chuck the Techni Ice and move on. I think its promoted well but you can do better in other brands. Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 543872

Follow Up By: Member - Phil 'n Jill (WA) - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2015 at 18:10

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2015 at 18:10
Probably will dice it thanks Michael.

Just got a rev up from the better half for bringing home more 'junk'. Supposed to be clearing out - not collecting...;O)

Cheers - Phil
Phil 'n Jill (WA)

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 830981

Reply By: Peter T9 - Wednesday, Jan 07, 2015 at 18:59

Wednesday, Jan 07, 2015 at 18:59
Hi Phil

The slimy sheets are apparently a symptom of the need for further hydration.

I would thaw them out and then soak in luke warm water and see how you go before chucking them.

BTW we have sheets of a different brand plus the Techni-ice and I can honestly say the Techni- ice are much better particularly in the strength of the plastic outer sheeting which has seen the others start to peel apart.

Peter

AnswerID: 543879

Follow Up By: Member - Phil 'n Jill (WA) - Thursday, Jan 08, 2015 at 00:23

Thursday, Jan 08, 2015 at 00:23
Thanks Peter, I agree there are some commercial products used for trucking fish around the country which I suspect are a 'one off' product. Had a couple for a very short time and the outer sheets just peeled away, whilst these old Techni-ice sheets have kept very well.

Will try a couple of the young bloke's after a good soaking and see if the come up to par.

Cheers - Phil
Phil 'n Jill (WA)

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 831013

Reply By: philw - Thursday, Jan 08, 2015 at 20:09

Thursday, Jan 08, 2015 at 20:09
I have been using the same ice sheets,on a daily basis,in my work esky,for 6 years.
They are great for a day out,but they don't last longer than crushed ice on longer trips.
AnswerID: 543944

Follow Up By: Member - Phil 'n Jill (WA) - Thursday, Jan 08, 2015 at 21:04

Thursday, Jan 08, 2015 at 21:04
Hi philw - Agreed, the packs don't hold for a long period, but for day trips or overnighters they save having to find ice - gone are the days where a bloke could run a twelve cubic foot freezer down the shed, so these packs are quite handy short term.

Regards - Phil
Phil 'n Jill (WA)

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 831062

Sponsored Links