Arnhem Land

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 08, 2015 at 13:43
ThreadID: 110654 Views:1774 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Gday All

We will be up in the top end in about the middle of this year and thought we might try and get up into Arnhem Land for a look around.

We have done a bit of research and are still unsure about a few thing relating to the permit to travel in this area. We thought there may be someone on this forum who has been there recently that could help us by answering a few questions.

1. Typically how long does the permit take to issue. The web site mentioned between 10 & 25 days which means we will need to submit the application on line while we are on the road.
2. We normally free camp, are there free camps up there and can these be nominated on the permit application in the accommodation details.
3. How flexible are they with the entry & exit dates. We will be coming from a trip to Cape York and probably submit the application when we start heading west. Not sure of the actual date we will be able to pick up permit at Catherine or travel up there.
4. We think about 2 days each way travelling in and out. How many days would anyone recommended staying at Nhulunbuy.

Any info appreciated.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Idler Chris - Vic - Thursday, Jan 08, 2015 at 14:33

Thursday, Jan 08, 2015 at 14:33
Been there several times, if you email me I can give you more info. It will take to long to type it all out.
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 543924

Reply By: Bigfish - Thursday, Jan 08, 2015 at 15:05

Thursday, Jan 08, 2015 at 15:05
Just left 2 years ago after 15 years living there.

Forget about free camping. No where to do this. Everywhere you travel you require a permit. No caravans allowed and if towing a campervan access to certain sites is prohibited. The easiest and wisest thing to do is either give the Northern Land Council a ring at Nhulunbuy or Katherine. Knew the people quite well at Nhulunbuy and were ok to deal with. Times change so who knows now. If your in to fishing then a month is too short. Mind you, you will be travelling after the wet season so the south easterlies will be blowing and this makes boating unpleasant. Driving in with car only takes about 8-1o hours. At least 2 spare tyres reqd and enough fuel for 800 klm. I do not think that the Land Council permit you to camp along the way in. Places are very limited and being quite remote I do not think it a wise move. You are also not permitted to leave the main road in.

I would get in as early as possible with the permit. Sometimes takes weeks to organise. Just getting hold of the correct person to speak to can take days as well. Another issue is road closures. Although not as common now at one stage the main, and only road in, would be shut for funerals by communities.

If towing a trailer then probably best to seek accommodation at the Walkabout Hotel. They have areas at rear of hotel set aside for campertrailers/small tents.

There is some magnificent country to see but you must ensure that you have the correct permits. A real pain but that's how they operate.
AnswerID: 543927

Follow Up By: Member - Serendipity(WA) - Thursday, Jan 08, 2015 at 21:00

Thursday, Jan 08, 2015 at 21:00
Been there a couple of times when I lived in the NT. Bigfish is about right with all what he says.

The only track across can be very rough and there are some deep rivers to cross depending on recent rains. Tyre punctures are a hazard and break downs.

You are not allowed to go into any communities along the road. Many long sections are signed posted as 'Ceremony Land' and respectfully no stopping at all.

Buffalo can be a problem - we came across one that just would not move off the track. Another car coming out got a bit close and 'tooted' the Buffalo and then it just charged their car. He reversed very quickly.

When you get to Nhulunbuy it is much the same as any town, Woolworths, Chemist, etc. To leave the town boundary you will need another pass acquired locally.

Not really a tourist destination as it is all private property.

I went for work.



Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 831061

Sponsored Links