Quarantine gates WA

Submitted: Monday, Jan 12, 2015 at 16:36
ThreadID: 110699 Views:1975 Replies:6 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
In Feb we will be travelling west along the Nullabor. It is our intention to drop south to Israelite Bay near Balladonia and then slowly explore all those great remote beaches on the way to Esperance. The only problem is how do we provision if we have to hand in our fresh fruit and veges. My memory of the only roadhouses one passes by have little or no fresh fruit etc.
Any suggestions?
Noels and Pete.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: pop2jocem - Monday, Jan 12, 2015 at 16:55

Monday, Jan 12, 2015 at 16:55
When we passed through the VIC, SA and WA quarantine areas my Mrs pickled and bottled as much of the veggies as she could and we used tinned fruit and frozen veggies until we could lay in some of the fresh stuff. All good as long as the original packaging is not opened.
Not the ideal diet but it was not as if we were planning on living on that sort of food long term.

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 544130

Reply By: Member-Heather MG NSW - Monday, Jan 12, 2015 at 17:03

Monday, Jan 12, 2015 at 17:03
I usually eat a lot of raw vegetables and fruits and really miss the fresh ones also.

We will be taking a variety of dried, frozen and canned vegies and fruits with us when we travel from east to west later in the year. Supermarket shelves and freezers have lots to choose from if you look closely, or you can cook up your own just before you get to the border checkpoint and then reheat when necessary.

You are correct about the roadhouses along the way, and the little they do have is very expensive for obvious reasons, as far as I can recall. If you don't mind paying there is a very limited variety and quality is dependent on when the last delivery took place.

When you finally get to a place to restock it makes them taste all the better.

regards,
Heather

Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 544132

Reply By: Member - mark D18 - Monday, Jan 12, 2015 at 17:04

Monday, Jan 12, 2015 at 17:04
Noelene/
Peter

You wont be able to restock until Esperance if you are heading to Israelite bay Turning off at Balladonia . The turnoff is easy to miss ( I went past it by 30 km last year ) it not far from the roadhouse .
Cheers

AnswerID: 544133

Follow Up By: noelene/peter b - Monday, Jan 12, 2015 at 23:19

Monday, Jan 12, 2015 at 23:19
Mark Did you have a GPS and how was the road? Is Israelite Bay worth the effort? It sounds iconic, but sometimes places can and then after much difficulty you get there and wonder why you put yourself through the grief.
N
FollowupID: 831261

Follow Up By: AlanTH - Tuesday, Jan 13, 2015 at 10:24

Tuesday, Jan 13, 2015 at 10:24
The turn off to the Parmango Road and Esperance (and other more remote spots) is a couple hundred metres east of the Balladonia Roadhouse on the left.
Parmango Rd can be a bit rough but nothing reduced tyre pressures and speed won't fix. There's an abandoned station someway down on the right for an overnighter and plenty of other places you can get off the road plus a track runs off to the left to Mt Ragged (I think) and the coastal cliffs but wouldn't take a van down there.
AlanH.
FollowupID: 831274

Follow Up By: Member - mark D18 - Tuesday, Jan 13, 2015 at 13:48

Tuesday, Jan 13, 2015 at 13:48
Peter /Noelene

Its a long drive in and the condition of the road varies ( about 5 hours from Balladonia with a lunch stop ).
We were not over impressed with Israelite Bay ( but I know of other people who love it ).As Allan said I wouldn't take a van there as well , the track past Mt ragged is very narrow and it is slow progress.

Cheers
FollowupID: 831280

Reply By: Member - John and Lynne - Monday, Jan 12, 2015 at 20:01

Monday, Jan 12, 2015 at 20:01
We stopped just before the border checkpoint and cooked up all the fresh stuff we bought in Ceduna. It worked well. A simple casserole and some soup for the freezer. Then I steamed potatoes and carrots lightly and refrigerated them in plastic containers. Chopped onions lightly fried and garlic peeled and in a jar of oil oil. Fruit was stewed. None of this took much effort really (although the van smelt quite fragrant!)and we ate proper food for the next two weeks until we reached Norseman. We had some back up tinned and frozen stuff as well but nothing very unusual - frozen peas, tinned tuna, tinned chick peas, tinned tomatoes etc. So long as vegies are peeled and partially cooked they will be fine for the inspectors and they will keep well for a few days. We missed salad but really ate well! Now I would take my spout farm and some seeds so I could grow fresh alfalfa sprouts etc on the road! Remember you can't take honey into WA! Lynne
AnswerID: 544146

Follow Up By: BunderDog - Monday, Jan 12, 2015 at 21:32

Monday, Jan 12, 2015 at 21:32
FYI Seed entry into WA is also restricted.

RESTRICTIONS apply to any plants or parts of plants, including fruit and seed, brought into Western Australia.
ONLY permitted species of plants or parts of plants can be imported, and these MUST satisfy applicable treatment and certification requirements.
FAILURE to satisfy legislated requirements may result in items being confiscated for destruction or re-exported back to the State or Territory of origin and FINES being imposed of up to $5000.
For further information on the above contact Quarantine WA on (08) 9334 1800.
FollowupID: 831253

Follow Up By: noelene/peter b - Monday, Jan 12, 2015 at 22:41

Monday, Jan 12, 2015 at 22:41
John and Lynne, great suggestions will do the same and thanks to everyone for your input.
Noels and Pete
FollowupID: 831257

Reply By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Jan 13, 2015 at 01:37

Tuesday, Jan 13, 2015 at 01:37
Hi Noels and Pete

You may get some supplies at the Eucla roadhouse. Frozen, canned, dehydrated or processed fruit and vegetables can substitute. Fresh salad greens is about all you have to take out of your diet. I have a big "cook up" the night before the border.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 544158

Follow Up By: noelene/peter b - Tuesday, Jan 13, 2015 at 16:56

Tuesday, Jan 13, 2015 at 16:56
I think I will bring the trusty cryovac this time and stew fruit and steam veges. We will be away from fresh for possibly up to 3 weeks and isn't it funny how when we can't get fresh veggies we crave them yet when we have lots we sometimes waste them.
N
FollowupID: 831291

Reply By: Member - Mark - Tuesday, Jan 13, 2015 at 21:42

Tuesday, Jan 13, 2015 at 21:42
Contact the motel at Eucla. Several years ago we ordered veggies and they were delivered here. Unfortunately I can't remember the details.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 544203

Sponsored Links