Old Electrolux Gas only fridge

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 14, 2015 at 07:58
ThreadID: 110728 Views:2082 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi guys,
A mate of mine has recently come across a very old Electrolux gas only fridge, and has no ideas as to performing the lightning procedure, as the "burner" is right at the rear far LH corner and has very limited space was there a lightning procedure or other equipment. From what I can see there appears to be some sort of "rail" or guide underneath and heading towards a burner.

I am sorry but there doesn't appear to be a model number, it is approx. 500mm square, dirty yellow in colour , and has a Temp control in the LH Rear corner.

Regards

JD
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wayne's 60 - Wednesday, Jan 14, 2015 at 10:10

Wednesday, Jan 14, 2015 at 10:10
Hi JD,

I'm not sure if the following information will help.

The Vintage Caravan Forum has a post about half way down the page. There is discussion about lighting a gas only fridge by lighting a wick and pushing it along a rail.

Hope that this helps a little.

Cheers,
Wayne & Sally.
AnswerID: 544220

Follow Up By: oldtrack123 - Wednesday, Jan 14, 2015 at 14:26

Wednesday, Jan 14, 2015 at 14:26
Hi
Yes
A wick of asbestos string was the way
It was soaked in metho, then pushed in under the gas burner
Held there until gas ignited then for a bit longer [about a minute to ensure the flamefailure valve had opened
If pulled out too soon the gas would shut OFF

FollowupID: 831342

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, Jan 14, 2015 at 16:53

Wednesday, Jan 14, 2015 at 16:53
TL,

I've used a piece of Chux, in lieu of asbestos, in the manner described by OldTrack. Doesn't last as long as asbestos, but is easier to procur. An off cut of asbestos would be difficult, if not impossible to purchase.

If the gas flame won't stay alight, you may need a new thermocouple. They sit there, with their willy in the flame for days, and months, and eventually cease to function. You didn't hear this from me but you can use a small piece of thin wire, like fuse wire, to keep the valve open, to keep the gas flowing while you see if the fridge does get cold. Not wise to do this permanently!!!

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 831362

Follow Up By: Member - Tony F8 - Wednesday, Jan 14, 2015 at 19:16

Wednesday, Jan 14, 2015 at 19:16
Firstly before even thinking about trying to light it, I would be having inspected by a certified gasfitter, who knows what the o rings etc would be like.
FollowupID: 831371

Reply By: Treading Lightly - Thursday, Jan 15, 2015 at 09:42

Thursday, Jan 15, 2015 at 09:42
Thanks for all your replies, the Vintage Caravan Forum was a real eye opener.

Regards

JD
AnswerID: 544305

Sponsored Links