Tyres for around Australia trip

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 15, 2015 at 04:36
ThreadID: 110748 Views:2530 Replies:9 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
G'day,

Am soon to take off on my trip, I currently have HT rated tyres on my 4WD.
I expect to do approx.30,000km's, with about 5-6,000km's of this "off road" (Central Hwy, Cape York, etc) Current tyres should last the trip if nothing happens to them.

My question is; should I upgrade to AT tyres, i.e. are they necessary for a trip like this?

I have read a bit on this subject & the debate is reasonably even as to for & against. Just wondering if it is more about marketing/advertising than real requirement?

It is not a cost thing, as I will keep current cases & use them next time.

Would be interested to hear what other have done or a doing.

Cheers
Tony
"For the Rover's life has pleasures, that the townsfolk will never know" - sort of from Banjo Paterson

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Tony (ACT) - Thursday, Jan 15, 2015 at 07:01

Thursday, Jan 15, 2015 at 07:01
Go for AT tyres. On most dirt roads HT will be ok until you get into loose gravel edges and corners where they tend to skate a bit, no matter what speed you are doing.

I go with MT tyres, for the odd times, like the cape last year when they come into their own, and the times on our 6 month trip when we had rain on dirt roads.

If you can run the same tyres on van and vehicle, gives you more spares.
AnswerID: 544296

Reply By: Michael H9 - Thursday, Jan 15, 2015 at 07:55

Thursday, Jan 15, 2015 at 07:55
You could walk around Australia in business shoes, but walking boots would be a better choice. Highway tyres are great for tar roads and ok on most decent gravel roads. Some poorer dirt roads have sharp rocks that will cut them good. The garages out in the centre do well out of tyres and tyre repairs, plus most of the main dirt tracks are quite littered with old tyres off to the side. It depends on what actual roads you are going to travel.
AnswerID: 544298

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Friday, Jan 16, 2015 at 07:32

Friday, Jan 16, 2015 at 07:32
Hey Michael,

I like your analogy mate! very well worded reply.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 831461

Reply By: Member - escapesilv - Thursday, Jan 15, 2015 at 08:12

Thursday, Jan 15, 2015 at 08:12
Hi Sanantone

We are just back from our round Australia trip including Cape York and Bungle Bungles using ATR tyres and never had a flat, but did change tyre pressure regularly.

Cheers and enjoy your trip.

Rob.
AnswerID: 544299

Reply By: Member - Russler - Thursday, Jan 15, 2015 at 08:35

Thursday, Jan 15, 2015 at 08:35
Hi Tony,
As others have suggested, I'd also recommend AT's. They'll be better for the dirt road conditions, and more resistant to punctures by sharp rocks and stones. The extra tread depth of new tyres will also help resist punctures. Adjust your speed and tyre pressures for the conditions and you'll be fine. Hope you have a great trip.
AnswerID: 544301

Reply By: Notso - Thursday, Jan 15, 2015 at 11:39

Thursday, Jan 15, 2015 at 11:39
AT tyres are the first pre-requisite, but I would also add Light Truck to that definition. Stiffer side walls and generally better tread depth.
AnswerID: 544313

Reply By: ABR - SIDEWINDER - Thursday, Jan 15, 2015 at 15:20

Thursday, Jan 15, 2015 at 15:20
Hi Tony

30000km no matter what you choose I recommend a TPMS, it will be a fuel saver and tyre saver on the trip.

Regards

Derek from ABR

AnswerID: 544323

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Thursday, Jan 15, 2015 at 17:44

Thursday, Jan 15, 2015 at 17:44
I agree with what has been said about upgrading to an AT also and would highly recommend fitting a TPMS system as well as Derek has suggested.
I would say this is one of the best vehicle accessories I have fitted and has saved me on a number of occasions from not only potentially wrecking a tyre from driving unwittingly on a flat tyre and also from being able to plug and reinflate the tyre whilst still on the vehicle rather than having to get the jack and and change the tyre..... much easier.

Those shredded tyres on the side of the road you often see wouldn't be there if the owners were using a TPMS system and they wouldn't be forking out the $ to have to replace them either.
FollowupID: 831431

Reply By: TomH - Thursday, Jan 15, 2015 at 20:17

Thursday, Jan 15, 2015 at 20:17
We put a new set of BFG A/T's on when doing the big lap.

Did 51,000k and never had a puncture even Did some sand tracks and a bit of offroad and tread was still legal when I sold vehicle after 65000k on them.
AnswerID: 544338

Reply By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Saturday, Jan 17, 2015 at 10:12

Saturday, Jan 17, 2015 at 10:12
Tony
I've not done "the big lap" but do 40 000km pa, that pleasure awaits me but I do travel predominantly rural highways with dirt roads.
Assuming you are going to be towing that caravan, I think it would be wise to shoe everything with some LT (Light Truck) AT tyres. Travelling 30 000km on bitumen in a vehicle lightly loaded is one thing, doing it with a decent load and some dirt/ gravel is another.
I find that some HT tyres (eg the Yokos which Mitsubishi put on our last 3 Pajeros) are absolute nightmares on dirt/gravel roads, soft compound suffers numerous punctures through stones/sharp gravel.
Store your current HT tyres, they will still be there when you get back. AT tyres have more tread depth, you get more kms out of them.

The only downside will be the cost of the double fitting and the firmer slightly noiser ride.

Mark
AnswerID: 544407

Reply By: Batt's - Saturday, Jan 17, 2015 at 22:27

Saturday, Jan 17, 2015 at 22:27
Definitely upgrade to at least A/T tyres for peace of mine I've had BFG A/T on 2 vehicles they give good grip on and off road and will last a long time. I've also had Kumho KL78 A/T on 2 different vehicles and I'm running them on my twin cab Nissan Patrol at the moment which weighs around 2.6 ton empty. They have 83,000 km on them and they have about 6 mm of tread left so they also will last a long time and are good for general driving on and off road. But in comparing the 2 the BFG''s are a bit better off road in mud and rocky terrain because they have a more aggressive grip pattern in saying that I would recommend either one of these brands for the type of driving you'll be doing.
AnswerID: 544447

Sponsored Links