Android Phone Upgrade

Submitted: Friday, Jan 16, 2015 at 13:03
ThreadID: 110755 Views:2330 Replies:5 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
I had an early Motorola Smart Phone that was fitted with an early Android operating system. Under the internet icon on the phone I had Google as the home page and in my Bookmarks I had most of my 4wd and Camping sites including ExplorOz.

I just upgraded the phone to a Samsung Galaxy with the latest Android operating system and it also has the Internet Icon but doesn't seem to have a Bookmark function so when I try to search ExplorOz on the phone I have to type the URL each time. :-(.

Can anyone with a late model Android tell me if the Internet (I assume google) does have a bookmark function and if it does where do I access it.

I guess I can install other search engines like Chrome but would prefer if possible use the one provided by Android.

Thanks

Garry
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Explorer - Friday, Jan 16, 2015 at 13:36

Friday, Jan 16, 2015 at 13:36
Hi

The icon at the top far right corner of the internet app allows you to to add and view bookmarks.

Also if you press the first button from left on bottom of phone a menu will appear which also has add bookmark function.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 544369

Follow Up By: garrycol - Friday, Jan 16, 2015 at 14:00

Friday, Jan 16, 2015 at 14:00
Thanks Greg for that very informative post. I opened my page as to as you have it with Exploroz and have a similar layout as you have displayed - I do not have the * icon as you have pointed to. I have the page 1 just to the left but not the * (bookmark) icon. :-(

When you have gone into settings you have the big list as you have indicated but I only have 3 on the list

Share via
Find on page
Settings

Very confusing :-(
FollowupID: 831473

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Friday, Jan 16, 2015 at 14:15

Friday, Jan 16, 2015 at 14:15
mmm my android version is 4.3 on the phone, 4.4.2 on the Galaxy Tab...both are the same with respect to layout. Maybe they have gone and changed the internet app for some reason.

There are some clues as to where the bookmarks option is HERE plus alternative approach (i.e. save bookmark to home screen)

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 831475

Follow Up By: Zebra400 - Friday, Jan 16, 2015 at 14:44

Friday, Jan 16, 2015 at 14:44
With new Android phones, you have to push the hold the bottom left hand part of your screen. If you dont hold after pushing you will get a list of your loaded apps.

FollowupID: 831477

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Friday, Jan 16, 2015 at 19:50

Friday, Jan 16, 2015 at 19:50
Garry, The "first button from left" that greg refers to above may not be immediately visible to you. It is not an 'actual' button like the 'Home' button in the centre below the screen but in fact is a 'virtual' button which may, or may not be visible.

Open the website that you want to bookmark then just tap the face of the phone immediately to the left of the 'Home' button and the menu that Greg shows above will open to allow you to set an "Add Bookmark" which will appear on your desktop.

That 'button' to the left of the Home button can be tapped at any time to bring up the menu with a whole lot of selections.
The virtual button to the right of the Home button is a 'Revert' function which will take you back to the previous screen.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 831493

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Friday, Jan 16, 2015 at 21:06

Friday, Jan 16, 2015 at 21:06
Yep sorry ..forgot to mention if a Galaxy S5 operation of the "button" has changed. Instead of a tap a LONG PRESS is required to bring up some menus. We have discussed this on some other threads, no idea if it represents a solution but worth a try.

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 831514

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Friday, Jan 16, 2015 at 21:50

Friday, Jan 16, 2015 at 21:50
Good onya Greg, a picture is better than countless words!

Tried the "LONG PRESS" on mine and guess what?.......... it brought up the EO Forum! That David Martin sure is a Wizard.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 831523

Follow Up By: garrycol - Friday, Jan 16, 2015 at 22:58

Friday, Jan 16, 2015 at 22:58
Ok rather than individual replies - thanks to everyone there.

Found the "invisible" button (the hard settings button is as I described above). The Invisible button does bring up the following options

Open
Open in new window
Save Link
Copy link URL
Select Text

Still no bookmarks - I tried save link but it is not a bookmark.

Thanks for the tip in saving webpages as shortcuts and would be great but when I have this all sorted bookmarking ExplorOz there will be far to many others to make short cuts.

It was just so much easier on the early android version - hard settings button had Bookmarks in there.

The research continues.
FollowupID: 831532

Follow Up By: garrycol - Friday, Jan 16, 2015 at 22:59

Friday, Jan 16, 2015 at 22:59
Oh my new phone is a Galaxt S4 - with Andoid 4.4.2 on it.
FollowupID: 831533

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Saturday, Jan 17, 2015 at 08:30

Saturday, Jan 17, 2015 at 08:30
Very strange, my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 is on version 4.4.2 and has all of the bookmark icons shown in the pics above. I don't use the default browser, I use either Opera Mini or Dolphin. They are both free and have some good features.
FollowupID: 831535

Reply By: Member - sdr00y (Beecroft,NSW) - Friday, Jan 16, 2015 at 18:40

Friday, Jan 16, 2015 at 18:40
Your phone may only have a basic web browser installed. Although you don't want to, it may be better to install a free web browser anyway so you get bookmarks.

I use firefox on my phone and it is quicker to load than the standard browser and does not get tracked as much (if at all) as google chrome browser.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 544384

Follow Up By: garrycol - Friday, Jan 16, 2015 at 23:01

Friday, Jan 16, 2015 at 23:01
That is the fall back option, though Chrome is on there.
FollowupID: 831534

Reply By: Shaker - Saturday, Jan 17, 2015 at 08:30

Saturday, Jan 17, 2015 at 08:30
Isn't there an ExplorOz App? There is for iPhone.

AnswerID: 544401

Reply By: garrycol - Saturday, Jan 17, 2015 at 13:29

Saturday, Jan 17, 2015 at 13:29
Ok - thanks to everyone for their input - I appreciate it.

There seems to be something different about the setup I have as none of the advice given seems to apply to my phone even though it is running standard Android 4.4.2 and is straight out of the box and not played with.

I need to find someone in person to assist.

The next issue is google maps - my old smart phone did not have a data plan so google maps were on the phone and worked fine outside outside of wifi range.

On the new data plan and phone it will not have any of this and will not connect to google maps if there is no wifi or mobile phone range. So I need to work on this - but another thread for another day after I have sorted the bookmark issue.

Thanks to everyone for your input.

Cheers

Garry
AnswerID: 544416

Follow Up By: TomH - Saturday, Jan 17, 2015 at 14:32

Saturday, Jan 17, 2015 at 14:32
Options for using maps are alterable in Settings/location and security
FollowupID: 831549

Follow Up By: garrycol - Saturday, Jan 17, 2015 at 14:56

Saturday, Jan 17, 2015 at 14:56
Well I have been surfing the web and it seems that as indicated by my experience that Bookmarks no longer come with the standard Internet connection provided by Android 4.4.2.

So I need to work out how to get the Internet shortcut off the Homepage and replace it with Chrome or Firefox or link the internet shortcut to either of the browsers.

TomH - thanks for that advice but when I enter settings and then location the only options I have are

GPS Mode (satellite, WIFI/mobile etc) mine is set to Satellite

Location Services - just talks how to link mobile settings to apps.

My Places - is basically place favourites

There is nothing about security.

Well the later versions of Android has certainly gone downhill as far as usability goes - the very early version on my old phone was easy to use and intuitive - seemed to be designed by a "normal" person - the later versions were obviously designed by computer geeks with no idea of reality.

Cheers

Garry
FollowupID: 831552

Reply By: garrycol - Saturday, Jan 17, 2015 at 21:09

Saturday, Jan 17, 2015 at 21:09
Issue solved - the Home Screen was set to Easy Mode and when that is selected you only get a couple of home page panes and it would seem a number of other functions are disabled.

I switched the Home Screen to standard mode and wallah - when I selected "internet" it was as described in the pics above and Bookmarks are now there along with some other functionality.
AnswerID: 544440

Sponsored Links