Driving the outback way

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 17, 2015 at 13:23
ThreadID: 110767 Views:2929 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
we are driving the outback way in early april from and i am wondering if anyone has any info on the dirt roads from Boulia to Alice Springs and then from Ayres Rock to Kalgoorlie? We have a 07 Navara with 2 inch lift kit and towing a kimberley kamper platinum. Just wondering if anyone has any advice or any info as to what permits we need? Cheers Brett
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - tommo05 - Saturday, Jan 17, 2015 at 16:56

Saturday, Jan 17, 2015 at 16:56
If you haven't already checked it out, this website could be useful:
Outback Way - Australia's Longest Shortcut

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 544428

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Saturday, Jan 17, 2015 at 17:04

Saturday, Jan 17, 2015 at 17:04
There were a few threads before Christmas. Do a search of th eforum and you will get your answer. Also use "Great Central Road" for your searches.
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 544429

Reply By: Ron N - Saturday, Jan 17, 2015 at 18:46

Saturday, Jan 17, 2015 at 18:46
The Plenty Hwy and most roads East and NE of Alice Springs have been damaged by the recent heavy rains.
Check with local Shires and the relevant States Main Roads, "road conditions" sites, before setting out, as road conditions can change (deteriorate) rapidly.

ABC Rural News - Plenty Highway damaged by heavy rain - January 2015

NT - Road Report website

RACQ Road Conditions report

Main Roads Western Australia oversee, repair and maintain all the roads classified as "Main Roads" in W.A.
However, the Great Central Road is not classed as a Main Road and it is overseen, repaired and maintained by the ?Shire of Ngaanyatjarraku.

MRWA Regional Works and Conditions

Cheers, Ron
AnswerID: 544431

Reply By: Ron N - Saturday, Jan 17, 2015 at 19:19

Saturday, Jan 17, 2015 at 19:19
You will need a transit permit from the NT Central Land Council to travel from Yulara to the West Australian border.
This permit is free, and can be obtained online, or at the Tourism Office in Yulara (it's near the shopping centre).
If you wish to visit Uluru and Kata Tjuta, you also need a Park pass, which costs $25 and is good for 3 days.

To travel along the Great Central Road from the West Australian border to Laverton, you will need a permit from the West Australian Dept of Aboriginal Affairs.
This permit is also issued free and is available online.
This permit is only for 3 days as well and is issued for transit and refuelling purposes only.
You must not deviate from the main road or approved camping areas.

You have to supply a permit holders name, vehicle make and rego number, and colour.
You are not allowed to enter Aboriginal communities, but you can enter Warburton townsite.
Photography of Aboriginals and community areas is forbidden. Aboriginal culture, in common with many tribal societies, believes you are stealing a persons soul by taking their image. So be careful what you take photos of, and be aware of any Aboriginals that may think they are purposely being photographed, when they are not.

You are advised to avoid taking regular ULP into Aboriginal Lands and even Alice Springs. Petrol sniffing is still a major problem in these areas.
Opal is the only type of petrol sold around Alice Springs and in all Aboriginal Lands.
If you must take regular unleaded petrol with you, you are advised to keep it under lock and key.
Most accommodation points have locked security areas for unleaded fuel carried by travellers.


DAAWA - Travel Permit for Aboriginal Lands

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 544432

Follow Up By: CSeaJay - Sunday, Jan 18, 2015 at 11:10

Sunday, Jan 18, 2015 at 11:10
Our free land, Australia day coming up and all
Free for citizens to travel as they wish
FollowupID: 831619

Follow Up By: Ron N - Sunday, Jan 18, 2015 at 11:29

Sunday, Jan 18, 2015 at 11:29
Yeah, I often wonder why this permit system has been allowed to develop. Probably because no white person has been outraged enough to mount a legal challenge, which would be costly.
I also wonder what chance you'd stand of suggesting a permit system for Aborigines to be able to enter or traverse our major cities - which are all "white man" construction?
I reckon even just mentioning it would immediately label you the biggest racist ever born. Just goes to show how easily we are walked over.

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 831623

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (9)