Android Phone Upgrade 2

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 18, 2015 at 11:06
ThreadID: 110777 Views:1440 Replies:1 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Having sorted out my book mark issues on my new phone with the help of forum members it is time to ask about problem number 2.

My old android phone did not have a data plan and I managed to load google maps into the system so I had backup turn by turn navigation even when outside mobile phone range. I use standard dash mounted GPS but like to have something on my phone as a backup.

With the newer android systems google maps are not loaded onto the phone as such and you need to be in mobile phone range for the system to work. For when you are likely to be outside contact range Google do allow you to download one map of a max size of about 50km x 50km which is not a lot of use if travelling outback roads.

So what turn by turn nav systems that do not use the mobile network are people using on their phones (remember is a backup only). I also have previously used Sygic but it did not work well. For real offroad work and walking I will put Oziexplorer for Android on and use the maps that I have but looking for a good turn by turn system for the phone when driving outback roads.

Thanks

Garry
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Doc - Sunday, Jan 18, 2015 at 14:36

Sunday, Jan 18, 2015 at 14:36
Have a look at Osmand on the Play Store
AnswerID: 544487

Follow Up By: garrycol - Sunday, Jan 18, 2015 at 20:25

Sunday, Jan 18, 2015 at 20:25
Thanks Doc - I have downloaded and installed so will see how it goes.

The maps are more upto date than my latest downloaded Garmin maps so that is a good sign.

I have just loaded the free version but if it works Ok I will buy the upgraded version.

Cheers

Garry
FollowupID: 831693

Follow Up By: Doc - Sunday, Jan 18, 2015 at 20:44

Sunday, Jan 18, 2015 at 20:44
I installed the free version for recent India trip, as we didn't know if we'd have a local sim and unsure of 3G coverage even if we did. As it turned we did have a sim & good coverage, so mostly used Google Maps. The playing around I did here, and the bit I used it in India seemed to work fine. YMMV, but the price is right.
FollowupID: 831698

Sponsored Links