D22 Navara YD25 unichip & tune

Submitted: Monday, Jan 19, 2015 at 13:11
ThreadID: 110796 Views:3569 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hey guys my D22 is getting a Unichip and tune (want a bit extra for towing and overtaking road trains) in the next couple of weeks, already have an exhaust and snorkel fitted. Just wondering if there was any other mod recommended before I get it tuned? I was looking into getting the exhaust side of the turbo machined but can't find enough info and pricing is all over the place.
Any advice would be appreciated, thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: noggins - Monday, Jan 19, 2015 at 23:48

Monday, Jan 19, 2015 at 23:48
As most chips increase the fuel pressure I'd be advising getting an ECU update.
I had my 3ltr Ranger done and it gave me the extra grunt I wanted without playing with fuel rail pressures.
As you've already done the snorkel and exhaust this would be the next step ( as well as blanking the EGR valve )
I'd advise ECUWest in WA, Good service etc

Ron
AnswerID: 544596

Follow Up By: zimbo FOX - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2015 at 12:27

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2015 at 12:27
Unichip is a piggy back ecu so thought I wouldn't need to touch the stock ecu?
Have read a lot on egr and can't find enough evidence for or against, what difference did you notice?
Thanks
FollowupID: 831877

Follow Up By: noggins - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2015 at 18:40

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2015 at 18:40
The difference I noted was better response when traveling , slightly better economy and so far not done , reduced crap in the inlet manifold.
Having the ECU done I also got it turned off , so no fault codes there.

Getting a chip + tuning I suppose near a grand
Getting the ECU done , about the same

My ranger out performs a friend of friend's Ranger that's been chipped ..

Ron
FollowupID: 831908

Reply By: Athol W1 - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2015 at 07:29

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2015 at 07:29
zimbo FOX
Before you get it tuned I would suggest that you get the timing chain looked at and inspected/ measured at each and every link, as these chains have been found to have excessive wear and even breakages at very low distances travelled.

I have seen several chains that were reportedly removed from these engines at very low mileage, and some only had a few links that were showing the signs of wear. Breakages have occurred as low as 60,000km.

Extensive dismantling of the front of the engine is required for the inspection of this chain.

Check out www yd25.com.au for further information.
I have no affiliation with them.
AnswerID: 544605

Follow Up By: zimbo FOX - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2015 at 12:23

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2015 at 12:23
Was checked last service, no initial signs of wear but will look into it a bit more thanks
FollowupID: 831876

Reply By: Slow one - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2015 at 20:42

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2015 at 20:42
zimbo da fox,

do a bit of research on chips like the unichip, any low priced chip usually plays with the fuel rail pressure, are your sure you want to risk your fuel system with that type of performance enhancer.

With the erg blanked off it stops the recirculated gas mixing with the small amount of oil blowby vapour from the engine and forming a tar like substance on everything. This tar coats everything after where the recirculated exhaust gas enters the air inlet piping.

Here is a look at what happens.

Patrol 3l

Not picking on Patrols as it happens to all crd engines.
AnswerID: 544646

Follow Up By: zimbo FOX - Wednesday, Jan 21, 2015 at 10:50

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2015 at 10:50
Thanks Ron

I found Unichip was pretty good from research I've done, and being tunable you don't have to raise fuel rail pressure if you don't want to.

As for erg if I blank it completely will it affect anything?
FollowupID: 831956

Follow Up By: Slow one - Wednesday, Jan 21, 2015 at 13:23

Wednesday, Jan 21, 2015 at 13:23
Don't know what happens with a Navara, you may get an answer here from a d22 owner or you may wish to go to a Navara forum. I am sure you will get answers there.

I know if the previous model rangers and bt50's are blanked off completely they throw a warning where as the current models are fine.

Good to see you have researched the unichip
FollowupID: 831961

Sponsored Links