WAECO CCF40 fridge

Submitted: Thursday, May 09, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1108 Views:8020 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Does anyone know how well this 40L fridge performs? Is it equal as Engel when run as a freezer? Any comments on this subject and the price of this unit would be appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sean - Friday, May 10, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, May 10, 2002 at 00:00
Jacko

last months (or maybe the month before) 4wd monthly has a back issue attached that did a comparasion on all the fridges. The Waeco did not fare as well as I thought it would by all the claims.

Cant help further as I have only used the Engel.

Are you the Jacko from Port

Sean
AnswerID: 3436

Follow Up By: Cracka - Sunday, May 12, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, May 12, 2002 at 00:00
Sean I was a little puzzled by your post. I have read the test several times and found that the Engel was the model with the problems keeping up with it's reputation. The WAECO tested, was one of the best performed fridges when analizing the test data and not getting stuck in the journo's speal. Have another look mate. The overall winner of the test was six hundred dollars more than the WAECO and four hundred more than the ENGEL. You get what you pay for.

I have an Indel-B in my truck, as a standard fitting. I have had nothing but trouble with it. The workshop manager cannot find anyone in Brisbane to fix it. ENGEL and WAECO can be fixed anywhere according to him.

Cracka
FollowupID: 1406

Follow Up By: Sean - Monday, May 13, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, May 13, 2002 at 00:00
Jacko

I am also puzzled. My view is that neither the Engel or the Waeco did all that well. After all the Waeco claims to be the most effiecient fridge (or something like that) which was not reflected in the tests. I have an Engel and I agree that if it was not for reliability, people would not rate them so well.Mine is about 3 years old, is rusting, cannot pull down below -10 or so and will run a battery flat. If I was to do again I would investigate an engel compressor/condensor unit into an Evercool icebox.

Good luck with your enquiries, it is the only way through all the bs.

Sean
FollowupID: 1416

Reply By: P.G. (Tas) - Friday, May 10, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, May 10, 2002 at 00:00
G'day Jacko, just been down this road myself. All Waeco's use the Danfoss? compressor, darn good compressor by all acounts, however, the CF/CCF range are built in China and don't have anywhere near as good insulation as the German built FF range, consequently, the compressor is running a lot more often and for a lot longer. I believe this is why they are cheaper to buy. They don't include the 240V adapter (you really need to pre-cool all portable fridges and their contents before setting off if you can), these cost about an extra $80 or so. I remember from an article I recently read, there are very poor tie down positions on the FF range and I think the CF/CCF range are similar in that respect. The other thing I wasn't convinced about was the plastic cabinet. Sure it may be strong in the showroom, but in the real world of the Outback, will it take repeat poundings from things tied next to it, or rubbing against it. You may have to dedicate a shrine to it to ensure it comes home in one piece?

I ended up buying an Engel MT45F, the new 40 litre model, at AGFEST here in Tasmania. The cost was $1,149.00 but as a show special I got the insulated transit bag and a small wire basket (it clips onto the big basket to hold the butter) thrown in as a "show special". These have 240V built in. When I did my sums, this was a far better buy than the Waeco. There are many stories about 20 and 30 year old Engel's still going strong, there aren't many other (any?) brands that can that can come close to that!

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

AnswerID: 3438

Reply By: Geoff- Saturday, May 11, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, May 11, 2002 at 00:00
Hi Jacko
I have the new cf-50 dam good to. It's selling for $987 and was given the adaptor to plug in to 240 volts. I tested it by filling it up with items that were hot then went in and out now and then and turned it off at night turned it back on in the morning. Filled it up with more items that have not been in the fridge and I got 18 running hrs out of a 40 amp battery before the fridge turned it's self off to save the battery at around 10.5 volts i think.The battery started the jackaroo afterwards.

Regards Geoff
AnswerID: 3472

Follow Up By: Steve - Sunday, Jul 07, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, Jul 07, 2002 at 00:00
I also have cf-50 and have tried it during a three day trip it ran 4 three days with 6 people opening it up all the time (getting there cold drinkies out of it)and it had no problems at all it even kicked me 4be over al well when we left
cia steve
FollowupID: 2006

Reply By: greg - Monday, May 13, 2002 at 00:00

I ran an engel for 30 years and was very happy with it. It could pull down to -25 deg C very rapidly. A year ago I bought a Waeco FF30 at the very cheap price and it has worked well. It will only pull down to -15 deg C but uses much less power than the old Engel did and ven when turned off with a full frozen load and in its protective cover will remain frozen for several days in warm to hot weather. I have a Chescold made out of similar plastic and have used it constantly for over 10 years with no probelms with the plastic. The only probelms with the waeco are the tie down points and the power plug is very difficult to get in and out and needs something to hold it in.
AnswerID: 3489

Reply By: steve - Monday, May 13, 2002 at 00:00

Hi,

I have a CCF-40, which I have been running for several years now (it was one of the first sold). This fridge has been running basically
every day since the day I bought it, and has been to Birdsville (in 40+ heat) and all the corrugations around Betoota, Simpson desert, Maree,
and numerous other trips. I rate it higher than the Engel. The Danfoss compressor can be fixed almost anywhere. The concerns raised by
other replies regarding the plastic case are, I think, misguided. The metal case of other fridges dents whereas this case bends. It has not
had any marks left on it or suffered any problems. I do agree, however, that the tie down points aren't that great - however, Waeco has
fixed this and as of last month, all CCF's come with tie down handles as per the new CF50 (I don't think this has been addressed on the CC
range). The fridge has never run down my second battery, even when the car has been stationary for several days, and everything has
been kept frozen - even when thawed esky blocks were put in to refreeze overnight none of the other contents were thawed during the
process. I use one of the insulation bags (as well as the 240v converter when running the fridge at home), and to be perfectly honest I'd
buy another Waeco in preference to anything else. Another advantage of the plastic case is the weight saving over the metal fridges.
Another comment regarding a reply above about the compressor having to run more often - what this is, is theactually the fan running to
circulate air, and this is done rather than use all that extra space for the mesh grille to allow air to circulate naturally. Given that the fridge
works in the car most of the time, I'd rather have the electronic fan to force air through the condenser area rather than rely (rather
hopefully) that fresh air will manange to work its way around everything packed in the car and thus provide the necessary heat exchange.
AnswerID: 3491

Follow Up By: Steve W- Sunday, Jul 07, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, Jul 07, 2002 at 00:00
Steve w posted this followup

I also have cf-50 and have tried it during a three day trip it ran 4 three days with 6 people opening it up all the time (getting there cold drinkies out of it)and it had no problems at all it even kicked me 4be over al well when we left cia steve w
p.s i wrote the above mess 2
FollowupID: 2007

Sponsored Links