Comment: inReach SE Satellite Communicator

Has anybody field tested one of these units? Seems a cost-effective option to a sat phone.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Idler Chris - Vic - Monday, Jan 19, 2015 at 23:57

Monday, Jan 19, 2015 at 23:57
Your reply infers that a Sat Phone is dearer. Well it is not here is a a great Sat Phone and it is cheaper at $340. I have one a very good buy. Go here
http://www.satphonesales.com.au/Globalstar-GSP1600-Refurbished
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 544598

Follow Up By: urbanus - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2015 at 00:04

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2015 at 00:04
thanks for that; will make a note. I was shown an ad the other day for $1695 that included 400 data minutes to be used within six months.
FollowupID: 831844

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2015 at 09:45

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2015 at 09:45
Urbanus,

Yes, I field-tested one of these for a distributor when they were first introduced into this country. They are a neat unit employing neat technology, but ....

As IdlerChris said, you can get cheap sat phones and to me that makes the inReach a less cost-effective option. Costs about the same as a satphone, but you can't talk on it, only text via a smartphone or tablet.

Yes, it tracks but the text and tracking packages on offer in Australia are ridiculously expensive in my opinion, especially compared to those on offer in the US.

I think you get better value and flexibility from a Spot tracker with a basic tracking and SOS service package and a cheap text-enabled satphone on a plan that suits your communication needs.

Just my opinion

Cheers

FrankP

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 544616

Follow Up By: Idler Chris - Vic - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2015 at 10:47

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2015 at 10:47
Agree with Frank I have a Spot Tracker also, it gives you a backup should something go wrong. I would point out that it you have a Spot tracker you really should have some other means of communication. The reason is when travelling remote and it rains the wisest thing to do is find some higher ground and sit it out which could take a few days if not longer. People following your tracker may get concerned if you stop moving and so a sat phone or texting capability is required to let them know to not send out a rescue party.
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 831869

Follow Up By: urbanus - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2015 at 11:53

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2015 at 11:53
thanks Frank and Chris
one of those spot trackers along with a basic satphone seems the go.
cheers
FollowupID: 831875

Sponsored Links