Garmin topo maps on SD card

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 24, 2015 at 15:18
ThreadID: 110861 Views:2818 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I recently purchased Topo maps for Garmin on Ebay, I have a Nuvii2797 & need help to make it usable on my GPS & also on a Samsung tabS tablet.if any one can help o would appreciate it.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Explorer - Saturday, Jan 24, 2015 at 15:37

Saturday, Jan 24, 2015 at 15:37
Hello

Firstly I dont think you will get the maps work on a Samsung Android tablet. While there is a Garmin Android GPS device (Monterra) I dont think the android software is available for other android devices. There are a number of Garmin apps but dont think any display topo maps, so depends what you are trying to achieve.

As far as your Garmin GPS unit goes, typically the map file *.img should be placed on the SD card (or internal memory if space) in a folder called Garmin. Then in settings under Map section you should be able to see the map listed - enable it and disable any other map sets.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 544813

Reply By: The Explorer - Saturday, Jan 24, 2015 at 18:08

Saturday, Jan 24, 2015 at 18:08
Hello

Further to my last post I have just established you can open some Garmin format maps on an Android Tablet (and any other android device) using OruxMaps. The program is a bit sluggish (or maybe that's my tablet) but I did mange to open Shonkymaps. While I dont know what maps you purchased on Ebay, if they are Garmin topo suspect they wont open as there will be too much data for the program/tablet to handle. Also authentic versions of many maps are locked to GPS/SD card so they may not work either if copied elsewhere.

Oruxmaps is however free so worth a try (plus it has online maps including WMS which work good).

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 544817

Follow Up By: Member - The Carman's - Saturday, Jan 24, 2015 at 18:53

Saturday, Jan 24, 2015 at 18:53
Thanks again appreciate the help, will let you know how it goes
FollowupID: 832189

Reply By: Michaeljp - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 12:52

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 12:52
Are the maps on a SD card or Micro SD card? If on a i think you need a micro sd card, my nevi 3950 only takes micro sd. If you have a micro sd insert it in the slot. Turn on the device and tap "settings", then "map & vehicle", then scroll down to" my maps". Tap on that and a list of maps on the card will appear. Tap on the map you want and it should load up.
AnswerID: 544930

Sponsored Links