International Women's Day

Submitted: Monday, Mar 08, 2004 at 09:39
ThreadID: 11087 Views:1598 Replies:3 FollowUps:16
This Thread has been Archived
We enjoyed a quiet and dignified Breakfast yesterday morning with a video of a farm accident and enduring family love (very thought provoking - made you get out of the safety zone). Having said that, the men had decided at Happy Hour on Friday Night that they were a bit miffed about the women so organised an International Men's Day Breakfast for the same time in a different place. It was Ian's birthday as well so they started at 8:30 a.m. with breakfast and beers. I arrived home from the breakfast at 11:30 and they were having a great time so I left them to it and the flies (they were unable to feel pain by then) - they were still going last night when some fishermen returned from one of the properties - and eventually closed at about midnight. (There were more men at their breakfast than women at ours).
They are all very slow today but a good time was had by all.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Des Lexik(SA) - Monday, Mar 08, 2004 at 11:04

Monday, Mar 08, 2004 at 11:04
The girls could have demanded equallity and joined in with the men after you finished your Kahlua's and made it an international day for people. That way everyone would be in a painfree state and who would have cared about the flies.
What did Ian recieve as a birthday present. Can you get wrapping paper in Birdsville or did you just stick on a couple of rosettes on the outer packaging. LOL
Willie sends his regards to Aunty Ruth and looks forward from hearing from you.
AnswerID: 49506

Reply By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Monday, Mar 08, 2004 at 11:23

Monday, Mar 08, 2004 at 11:23
Hi Des, no you can't get wrapping paper in Birdsville- you have to get it up on the mail plane from the newsagent in Port Augusta (with the weekly paper). Ian received a halyard for our flagpole inside our house yard (the last two were stolen along with the Australian flag), so I'm pleased to advise the flag is now flying proudly again. The flag company notified us you can now get a Happy Hour flag - seriously thinking about that.
The girls didn't want to join with the boys (and I think the boys were beyond 'reasonable' conversation) - most of the girls went home to watch the car racing!! It was important for the boys to have this bonding as they were very insecure about us all being together - and yet, the boys don't even get a mention in our conversations.
Glad you all had a good time in the LD and I will be in touch with Nephew Willem shortly. Uncle Cocka has been quiet also - hope he is alright, he and the computer had been ill.
AnswerID: 49507

Follow Up By: Member - Des Lexik(SA) - Monday, Mar 08, 2004 at 11:57

Monday, Mar 08, 2004 at 11:57
Hi Ruth, your naughty nephew little willie will be home tomorow night.
A few forumateers have either not been well or their families not been well lately. A big cheerio to them all and hope the sun shines brightly for them.
Has the fishing seriously started yet now that the river is back within its banks.
I am sure the boys bonded well together although as you say, whatever world problems they solved, they couldn't remember the solutions the next day.hahahaha I guess the panadol was in short supply thismorning.
FollowupID: 311301

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Monday, Mar 08, 2004 at 13:50

Monday, Mar 08, 2004 at 13:50
We just went down to the Old Causeway - had to walk in the last 50 metres through the silt/sand. The water has dropped markedly over the weekend. Thought we would go down this afternoon late - there is a spot where there is still water and one of the old timers told us the yellowbelly would hide in there away from the rushing water. Let you know. The fishermen referred to above at the property, only caught black bream - very big ones - they were using meat. We use prawns/shrimp.
FollowupID: 311308

Follow Up By: Member - Eskimo - Monday, Mar 08, 2004 at 18:02

Monday, Mar 08, 2004 at 18:02
one thing has me curious.
If all the fish are there prior to the floods but only in water holes doesnt it make more sense to fish the water holes rather than a river which is 20 ( i guess here) or more times larger. Why would the fishing be better ...ie where do all the extra fish come from?
FollowupID: 311348

Follow Up By: Member Eric - Monday, Mar 08, 2004 at 19:41

Monday, Mar 08, 2004 at 19:41
How are you Eskimo , jee you can run , we even have you lon video lol
FollowupID: 311363

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Monday, Mar 08, 2004 at 20:03

Monday, Mar 08, 2004 at 20:03
Mr Mo - where do you think the waterholes are - in the middle of the river! Actually, we didn't get down to try that bit of a creek (still water) because the temperature hiked to 46 in the space of half an hour when a very nasty NW wind blew up (blasted full moon causes a lot of problems), supposedly SE change coming later.
FollowupID: 311369

Follow Up By: Member - Eskimo - Tuesday, Mar 09, 2004 at 08:19

Tuesday, Mar 09, 2004 at 08:19
Eric Thats what these legs are made for!

Ruth, if the river is a series of water holes during the dry, then all the fish would be in the holes?
Then when it rains why so many fish...surely the water holes cant support so many fish ...so many to make the fishing great when the river floods.....
Or am i not seeing sometning here?
FollowupID: 311402

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Tuesday, Mar 09, 2004 at 13:47

Tuesday, Mar 09, 2004 at 13:47
Listen Mr Mo, Willem will probably get up me because I'm posting when I should be replying or something. Now what was I going to say? Hmmm, fishing. I dunno what they do or where they go - I thought that when the drought was on they dug into the sand in the bottom of the holes etc. or went into fish hibernation. But, if they were in waterholes, then when the flood comes rushing down, picks them up out of the holes and flings them around etc. What I was talking about the other day was that the fish get a bit tired trying to stay in the one place swimming against the flood tide and they nick up the side creeks and alleyways and have a little rest. So said my old mate here which is why I was going to go yesterday and give this little backwater creek thingo a fish. SE has come in today and blowing like hell - much cooler and keeps the flies off your face - so we are going to try today. So does this non-scientific explanation help you?
Oh yes, if Mr Toonfish is listening/watching/keeping an eye on things - adult catfish have ben taken out of the river but right down at Clifton Hills, never up here.
FollowupID: 311438

Follow Up By: Member - Eskimo - Tuesday, Mar 09, 2004 at 20:14

Tuesday, Mar 09, 2004 at 20:14
No, your non-scientific explanation has'nt helped one bit
maybe one of the blokes who can speak swahili can tell me why?
FollowupID: 311486

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Tuesday, Mar 09, 2004 at 21:13

Tuesday, Mar 09, 2004 at 21:13
I will now quote from one of the Swahili speaking dribbly blokes -
Quote: 'the fish live in the bloody wahterholes in the dry - how many times do I have to tell you (this is to me) - you know Andrewilla Waterhole is 90 feet deep'. Now, Mr Mo I've just read your question again - most of the waterholes are in the middle of where the river is normally, but during a flood those waterholes are still in the middle of where the river is but now the middle of maybe 50 klms. The main problem is the river has enormous current and the fish do not like this and head somewhere where there is nice still water - and I think that is in the creek near the old causeway.
Second Quote from sawhili speaking dribbler: 'Tell the b.......y Mo to come up here and I'll show him.'
FollowupID: 311504

Follow Up By: Member - Cocka - Wednesday, Mar 10, 2004 at 00:45

Wednesday, Mar 10, 2004 at 00:45
Yep, we're still here Ruth. Thanks for thinking of us (me and the comp). I had a heap of bookwork to clear up before we head out in a few weeks so have kept a low profile. There is always something going on here and it's a stinker tonight, it's after midnight and still 30 degrees, SWMBO told me to take a cold shower and it sounds like a good idea.
I'll get out and have a fish tomorrow so that will cool me down and get some fresh air into me. There are plenty of big kingfish out there at the moment so that will liven the day up, might chase some of the snapper also that have come in with the big seas.
I'll take a baitcaster up to the SD with me so I hope you leave a few Diaman Barra's for me, BTW do any of the locals do any good with lures, I've got some pretty secret weapons that I want to try out ??
I haven't seen Willem pop his head in for a couple of weeks, we need to see some of his wisdom spread amongst the young'ns to maintain the status-quo. What's he up to ??
Glad you celebrated the day of the International Women, most fitting environment but you didn't say how many were at the breakfast. Was anything achieved or was it just a tea up for the girls whilst the boys worried themselves sick wondering weather you were plotting to leave.
I gotta go and have that cold swim, I'm cooking. Cheerio

FollowupID: 311532

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Wednesday, Mar 10, 2004 at 14:01

Wednesday, Mar 10, 2004 at 14:01
Gee Cocka, I was feeling sorry for you - but not now that I know you are going fishing. Would I love to have a god at the snapper! Now, our Women's Day - there were 16 of us I think, but very low key this year. There were twice that many men at the other breakfast. How come your weather is so hot. Our is lovely. 22 overnight (needed a jumper) and only 29 max yesterday. SE blowing - not enough to keep the flies off your face though. The sandflies have gone, as have the locusts and we didn't get mosquitos. Not bad really. Willem should be back now - he went to Little Desert with everyone to keep an eye on things - heard he slept in a CP for two nights (getting soft he is). He messaged me yesterday and will be here late April/May - that when you will be here - I told him there would be some likeable fossils here about the time he was here (didn't mean you - then). I have some lures now and tried some dark ones (muddy water etc.) as the flood was coming up but am not very successful (very novice also) and I catch yella on prawns and black bream on meat. With your baitcaster - do you use Gelspun line? Have done fair bit of homework on the boat and now looking at 5.3 Stacer with 90 or 115 on the back. Will talk to you at length when you get here about "toys" as Willem calls them. Want a GPS that can go from the car to the boat but connect with depth sounder/fish finder. Willem's been a bit quiet - think he's been keeping his counsel. We went to mt Isa for a couple of days and things happened whilst we weren't here (on the Forum) and since then the talk has been all about the Little Desert trip (lucky ducks). Maybe with everyone coming up here we could have en ExplorOz group meeting here too. Talk soon.
FollowupID: 311570

Reply By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Monday, Mar 08, 2004 at 16:31

Monday, Mar 08, 2004 at 16:31
Lex say's she hopes the boys are suffering badly as they should have respected international womens day & been home cooking & cleaning while you girls enjoyed yourselfs.
AnswerID: 49539

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Monday, Mar 08, 2004 at 17:42

Monday, Mar 08, 2004 at 17:42
Les, we girls thought it showed a marked lack of respect also.
FollowupID: 311330

Follow Up By: Member - Eskimo - Monday, Mar 08, 2004 at 17:55

Monday, Mar 08, 2004 at 17:55
What!...you expect them to have done What!!!
you girls would've only grizzled if they'd stayed by your side all day whispering sweet nothings' in the ladies ears

FollowupID: 311343

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Monday, Mar 08, 2004 at 20:06

Monday, Mar 08, 2004 at 20:06
No, the girls didn't want them to hang around at all - but we didn't want them coming over to the house at tea-time expecting roast dinner with the rest of their "fishing" friends - they were incapable (all of them) of speaking "sweet nothings" all they were capable of was talking dribble!
FollowupID: 311371

Follow Up By: Member - Eskimo - Monday, Mar 08, 2004 at 20:39

Monday, Mar 08, 2004 at 20:39
So where was the lack of respect!
geez its no wonder we cant get it right! hehehe
FollowupID: 311375

Follow Up By: Member - Eskimo - Tuesday, Mar 09, 2004 at 08:23

Tuesday, Mar 09, 2004 at 08:23
Dribble!!!
its Swahili !!!!!!!....so you girls dont know what were talking about....Yep, secret mens business!!!
FollowupID: 311403

Sponsored Links