Camping at Old Ford Reserve, Megalong Vallley

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 09:13
ThreadID: 110884 Views:3448 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi

I am towing a 21' caravan (non pop top) and have received conflicting advice as to whether or not I can access the Old Ford Reserve in the Megalong Valley in the Blue Mountains.

The local tourist authority advises that the road in from Blackheath is a narrow winding country road that is not really suitable for caravans, but I am sure that I have seen photos of the area with caravans and motorhomes camped there. Has anyone visited or camped there who can tell me if I can safely get my van into the reserve?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 13:15

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 13:15
I have not been there Snolly, but a sealed road may be OK.

"BLUE MOUNTAINS CITY COUNCIL CAMPING GROUND
FREE The Old Ford Reserve in Megalong Valley
This free camp ground is a bush campsite located in the picturesque Megalong Valley. Access is via sealed road and is easily accessible with a 2WD car. Toilets provided (no other facilities)"
Blue Mountains City Tourism

SparlingAventures Blog shows their truck and trailer there (which was probably the one you saw), but on another forum most advise not to take a caravan and to stay in Blackheath to do day trips.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 544933

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 13:56

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 13:56
Snolly,

Never camped at the Reserve, but been past it plenty of times. Fair bit of room there, but think it used to get pretty crowded at school holiday and on long weekends.

As MH says, it's all bitumen as far as the Reserve, but there are a couple of tight bends, read here "hairpin bends", closer to Blackheath. While road is 2 lane, you would have to watch for people coming up the Glen a bit quickly, who might think they have a right to your lane, as well their own.

With the Troopy towing your van, I don't think you'd have much of a problem, as long as you took it steady for the first km or so off Shipley Road. Would suggest you give the horn a blast before each of the hairpin beds, but as most, if not all motorists travel with their windows wound up, the warning would no doubt fall on "deaf ears".

Enjoy it down there Snolly! It's one of Mother Nature's little wonders. Have some fond memories of the place..........

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 544936

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 17:55

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 17:55
There are plenty of horse properties down there. They get their horse trucks in and out OK.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 544951

Sponsored Links