Landcruiser 80 Series 1HZ-T to 1HD-T engine conversion

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 17:33
ThreadID: 110889 Views:7284 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All.

my 1HZ-T has 336000 Km and it as a broken ring or the rings are wore out and I just installed a big top mounted intercooler :( so ... I got an idea... instead that refurbish my 1HZ I'm thinking to install a 1HD-T :)

I found an 1HD-T to be reconditioned and I can do it myself including the engine fitting.

Have anyone on this forum done it?

I read that the 1HD-T has 12mm fuel lines and the 1HZ has 10 mm fuel lines so people install a fuel pump in the tank to compensate the smaller fuel lines.

Any suggestion about it? What pump should I install ?

Does anyone know if I need an engineering certificate/Vicroad certification for this kind of swap?
I had a look at Vicroad rules and they state that if the new engine to be installed on the car is an engine type that the factory was installing on the same car model then you do not need to engineer the conversion neither go trough Vicroad certification.

Can this statement be used for my conversion?

Thanks
Simon
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: rumpig - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 18:27

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 18:27
If you get no answers here, jump on LCOOL forum and I would think you are bound to find threads on such a conversion, it's a Landcruiser forum dealing with tech questions like you are asking.
AnswerID: 544955

Reply By: Crusier 91 - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 19:07

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 19:07
www.offroad80s.com is another aussie 80 series forum. Heaps of info.
AnswerID: 544961

Reply By: pop2jocem - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 19:32

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 19:32
I swapped my 1HZ for a 1HD-FT to give better towing ability.
I left the original fuel lines in place, been like that for about three years or so and so far haven't noticed any fuel starvation symptoms. I guess if you are after maximum performance and going to wind the fuel screw out then maybe the larger fuel lines or a booster pump would be a necessity.

No idea what the regs in Vic (I'm in WA) are but I would imagine an inspection afterwards would be required. Personally I would get in touch with them and get it in writing.

Going by your original post I gather you turboed the 1HZ. Heard too many hard luck stories about that. That is why I went the way I did.
Have a browse of the lcool site by all means. This subject has been covered many times and there may even be a thread or 2 running at the moment.

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 544963

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 19:36

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 19:36
One other other thing, which you may already have done, install turbo boost and exhaust temp gauges.
FollowupID: 832421

Reply By: aussiedingo (River Rina) - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2015 at 08:04

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2015 at 08:04
G'day all, the best small external 12v fuel pump is from a VL Commodore, you could also have a separate on/off switch to turn it on when required
"the only thing constant in my life is change"

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 544979

Reply By: Flighty ( WA ) - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2015 at 10:25

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2015 at 10:25
Simon
done same conversion on my previous 75 series.
From memory metal vacuum line on engine will need minor mods simply fitted rubber as HD-T doesn't have this.
advise H/Duty clutch if not already fitted, apart from that pretty good fit with minimum mods required.
You already have other equipment required as your existing has turbo fittings, etc
Cant help with certification side as am in W.A but all I had to do was advise them with new eng. No on rego
Cheers
Flighty

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 544981

Reply By: DirtDevil - Saturday, Jan 31, 2015 at 11:32

Saturday, Jan 31, 2015 at 11:32
Hi Simon,

I did the exact same change and had no issues at all, everything fitted straight back in. I left the original fuel lines and had no fuel starvation problems.

Sorry can't help with Vic rules as I am from WA also.

Mike
Evil will always triumph when the good do nothing.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 545104

Sponsored Links