Visiting Kakadu in March

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 21:11
ThreadID: 110891 Views:2362 Replies:9 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi I have a friend visiting Oz in March and we are keen to explore Darwin and the top end for a 3-4 day 4WD adventure. I know it is the wet season but can some of you more seasoned travellers provide some suggestions on what can/can't be done. We would like to do some day time hiking etc. with overnight stops in either camp grounds or lodges. Are Jim Jim and the Twin Falls areas accessible in March ?
Thank you, Marc
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: AnneC5 - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 22:04

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 22:04
They are usually not open until very late May/early June. I have been to Kakadu 3 times in May and they were still closed by road each time. It is possible to fly over them though. This website shows expected opening times of many areas of Kakadu.
http://www.parksaustralia.gov.au/kakadu/do/waterfalls.html
AnswerID: 544972

Follow Up By: mcboom - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 22:38

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2015 at 22:38
thank you, do you know if walks are still possible or does it rain almost every day ?
FollowupID: 832433

Follow Up By: AnneC5 - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2015 at 07:37

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2015 at 07:37
Hi McBoom,
I do not know about rain, it would be best to look at the Bureau of Meteorology website to look at annual rainfall. In March many of the areas may still be closed, I know we have struck that in May. Even if the tracks aren't covered in water they will keep them closed until all crocs in the area are cleared. It would be best to contact Kakadu information centre at Jabiru for more info as they are very helpful. Have you thought of Litchfield NP? It is a lot closer to Darwin and higher meaning more of it remains open during the year. Although many of the 4WD tracks will be closed at that time of year.
FollowupID: 832441

Reply By: Bigfish - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2015 at 08:34

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2015 at 08:34
It is still the wet season up there in March. ANYTHING is possible weather wise. We still get cyclones in April! The park will have plenty of water laying around(once again depending on wet season.
If it was me I wouldn,t be making to many plans. Rather visit the lace and see what is available at the time. Maybe river cruises, helicopter flights(money allowing) or as you say walking/hiking tracks open. Litchfield may also be another avenue you could explore.

It really is at its best in the wet and the best time to see why it is held in such high regard with most tourists.

enjoy
AnswerID: 544980

Reply By: Krooznalong - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2015 at 14:05

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2015 at 14:05
Why don't you ring the rangers and see what they advise?
AnswerID: 544986

Reply By: Top End Az - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2015 at 15:10

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2015 at 15:10
So most of the waterfalls are closed due to flooded tracks. these include Gunlom, Maguk (Barramundie Gorge), Jim Jim/Twin Falls. Yellow Waters cruises are often closed at this time, but maybe check it out.Ubirr Rock access is often closed as the road in is low lying.
Best bet would be to go to Window on the Wetlands, Jumping Croc cruise on the Adelaide River, and Jabiru is accessible where you can get a flight over Kakadu. I haven't done this but Jim Jim and other falls will be flowing, whereas they usually don't, and the scenery from the air would be spectacular.

Hope this helps, but like the other responses, go online or ring up

http://www.ntlis.nt.gov.au/roadreport/obstructions-byregion.jsp
http://www.kakadu.com.au/
AnswerID: 544989

Reply By: Steve in Kakadu - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2015 at 16:28

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2015 at 16:28
High 848 March is the hight of the wet season, but there is still plenty to do especially if you have a 4wd.

Ubirr is accessible via the Guluyambi cruise, they do a combine boat tour and Ubirr tour if the Magela creek is 1 metre or more, if the Magela is between 0.5 or more it is impassable The road is open but Ubirr site is closed to prevent tourist drowning their cars ( 2 last week), tour operators have key access to the site though a special permit, as I type Ubirr is open but it was closed 2 days ago so at the minute it is still filling the food plains, so the level is up and down weekly.

Jim jim and Twin falls are seen only by small plane ( 2 companies in Jabiru).

Yellow water tours go all year round.

Boulder creek motor car falls and the rock hole are open most days and if they are closed it would only be for a day or 2.

Nourlangie Rock and the walks near by are open every day.

As other have said you can check the road report daily, or ring Bowali visitor centre ( 0889381120 ) between 8 am to 5 pm daily, who knows you may even get me on the phone.
AnswerID: 544991

Follow Up By: mcboom - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2015 at 22:49

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2015 at 22:49
Thanks a lot for your advice Steve, will give you guys a call soon to discuss options..any recommendations for a 4WD rental company in Darwin ?
FollowupID: 832496

Reply By: mcboom - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2015 at 22:47

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2015 at 22:47
Thank you all so much for your advice and suggestions. Will look at Litchfield as an option. Any recommedations on what to see/do there over 3-4 days ? We would require accomodation at a caravan park or lodge..
AnswerID: 545005

Reply By: Batt's - Thursday, Jan 29, 2015 at 02:37

Thursday, Jan 29, 2015 at 02:37
I don't live up there but if Kakadu is partly closed due to the wet wouldn't Lichfield be in the same boat so to speak. Ayres rock should be dry but a bit further down the road..
AnswerID: 545008

Follow Up By: Bigfish - Thursday, Jan 29, 2015 at 04:08

Thursday, Jan 29, 2015 at 04:08
Litchfield terrain is different. However if a big wet then it will also have access limited. Be vary wary of hire car companies. The devil is in the fine print regarding kilometres and insurance. Google is your friend here. Check the companies out and ring them for exact pricing and insurance details. 4WD rentals can be pricey compared to normal vehicles. Of course the other option is to use a tour company. Steve at Kakadu should be able to steer you in the right direction. You cant beat local knowledge.

good luck.
FollowupID: 832499

Reply By: AnneC5 - Thursday, Jan 29, 2015 at 07:48

Thursday, Jan 29, 2015 at 07:48
When hiring 4WD from Darwin most companies do not have unlimited kilometres. I was told by the hire company when I collected ours that if I had booked through the Tourist Information Centre in Darwin I would have been able to have unlimited kilometres. This is worth checking out. In Litchfield we have stayed twice at Litchfield Tourist Park which is on the boundary and found it very good.
AnswerID: 545012

Follow Up By: mcboom - Wednesday, Feb 04, 2015 at 21:31

Wednesday, Feb 04, 2015 at 21:31
I got the following quote with unlimited kilometers from Tourism Top End
Hertz
Large 4WD – $130/day
Rates Include: Max Cover, Unlimited Kms, GST, Admin Fee, VRRF, Additional Drivers, Windscreen Cover for 4WD.
FollowupID: 832905

Reply By: mcboom - Wednesday, Feb 04, 2015 at 21:34

Wednesday, Feb 04, 2015 at 21:34
I have put together the following list of things to see/do over 4 days in the Territory. Any comments, suggestions, additions are MOST appreciated :)

12/3 Darwin
- Charles Darwin National Park
- Stokes Hill Wharf and Darwin Waterfront Precinct - maybe we can go a harbour cruise
/have dinner here ?
- Fannie Bay Gaol

13/3 Jabiru
- On the way Jumping Croc cruise on the Adelaide River ?
- Window on the Wetlands
- Ubirr Rock - is accessible via the Guluyambi cruise, they do a combine boat tour and
Ubirr tour if the Magela creek is 1 metre or more
- Nourlangie Rock
- Maybe flight over Jim Jim Falls

14/3 Pine Creek
Katherine gorge – kayak / boat cruise

15/3 Litchfield
- Florence Falls
- The magnetic termite mounds
- Buley Waterholes
- Wangi Falls
- The Cascades

16/3 drive back to Darwin