maps etc for beginners

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 01, 2015 at 22:01
ThreadID: 110945 Views:1962 Replies:6 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
OK forgive my ignorance her but I am baffled by the choices of maps, files etc available.
i have a HN6 loaded with Topo 20 maps plus all others that come with it. Fine for my HN6 but the wife wants a set of her own so she can follow (check!) on her iPad, whilst driving
So which maps (off road - not navigation - that do not require internet connection ) do I get that will run on her iPad and be compatible with the Hema HN6?
Note the Hema has some version of OZI explorer loaded but as it will not run on my Mac I do not use it?
(not interested in the dual boot windows/mac system)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: rocco2010 - Sunday, Feb 01, 2015 at 22:48

Sunday, Feb 01, 2015 at 22:48
Hi Andrew

If you have an ipad with cellular capability you can use the Memory Map app which is free and comes with a basic Topo map which will let the co-driver keep tabs on you. Does not need internet connection once loaded.

Cheers

AnswerID: 545191

Reply By: get outmore - Sunday, Feb 01, 2015 at 23:16

Sunday, Feb 01, 2015 at 23:16
Short answer is you need an android pad running ozi explorer to be able to interchange the maps from one to another.
Long answer is you need an android pad running ozI explorer to share the maps between the 2 devices.
Bout as simple as I can put it
AnswerID: 545194

Reply By: Michael H9 - Monday, Feb 02, 2015 at 07:06

Monday, Feb 02, 2015 at 07:06
Not all ipads have the gps chip so make sure your wife's does before you start. The gps chip is part of the 3g chip which gives rise to the false idea you need 3g coverage for the gps to work, you don't. Also, there are several ipad apps that will read Ozi Explorer map files, so no need to buy a new tablet. I recommend Memory Map as unlike Ozi Explorer, the application is almost free, it works on ipad, iphone, android and pc. You pay once for a quality set of maps that work on all those devices, so no drama when you have to upgrade your gear.
AnswerID: 545203

Follow Up By: get outmore - Monday, Feb 02, 2015 at 08:09

Monday, Feb 02, 2015 at 08:09
Memory map wont read his ozi explorer maps.
See my short and long explanation to have maps working on both devices
FollowupID: 832733

Follow Up By: richard - Monday, Feb 02, 2015 at 08:19

Monday, Feb 02, 2015 at 08:19
Agree with Michael

Definitely do not need another tablet. Just verify you have the 3G model IPAD which has GPS capabilities.

If you can spend a little bit have a look at

Hema Explorer (I have not go it as I have the other one)
Co-pilot - full navigation but cheap and good
Maps-n-trax - will accept Oziexplorer maps.
Motion X
Memory Maps - although free or a couple of $ the maps can cost a bit unless you are happy with the free ones provided

Plus lots more

I have use my IPAD here and overseas for navigation and it works well. I have the 3G model but I don't have a sim car installed.

If yours is not a 3G model you can buy bluetooth GPS or an adapter to make it work.

The biggest pain is that Memory Maps does not run on your MAC. There are a couple of Apps - from Garmin and Bitmap for but planning trips but not great.

Richard

FollowupID: 832734

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Monday, Feb 02, 2015 at 09:19

Monday, Feb 02, 2015 at 09:19
get outmore, There are several ipad apps that read ozi explorer files, one is called Bit Map, I can't recall the others. I wasn't recommending Memory Map for the Ozi files, I was recommending it because I like it in preference to Ozi and the Ozi maps. I have both available to me and I haven't used Ozi or its maps for around 6 years. Buying a new tablet and a new program seemed a bit rich.
FollowupID: 832740

Follow Up By: cruiser80 - Monday, Feb 02, 2015 at 09:49

Monday, Feb 02, 2015 at 09:49
Don't think Bitmap is around any more.

Twonav app on an Ipad will run most ozi maps once the ozf files are converted with their pc software (which it will do using free version of software).
FollowupID: 832743

Reply By: AlbyNSW - Monday, Feb 02, 2015 at 08:43

Monday, Feb 02, 2015 at 08:43
Andrew why don't you just let your wife sit in the front seat with you and she can look at your navigator :)

For simplicity the free map that comes with Memory Maps is a good map and would probably do the job you are looking for
AnswerID: 545211

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Monday, Feb 02, 2015 at 10:02

Monday, Feb 02, 2015 at 10:02
Maybe even better Alby........ let the wife drive and be Commander and Navigator. lol
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 832744

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Monday, Feb 02, 2015 at 10:31

Monday, Feb 02, 2015 at 10:31
Alan is that your secret to a happy marriage?

I have always found my wife and I have the best holidays when she goes to England and I go to Bali :)
FollowupID: 832746

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Monday, Feb 02, 2015 at 10:42

Monday, Feb 02, 2015 at 10:42
LOL Alby, But no. When Roz is behind the wheel, which is often, she has the 'Conn'.

Actually, our navigation tablet sits directly in front of the passenger. The skilful manipulation of the Troopy demands the full attention of the driver. lol
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 832748

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Feb 02, 2015 at 10:20

Monday, Feb 02, 2015 at 10:20
Don't know what's the best Andrew, but I've been using the Hema app on with iPad.

Works well anywhere, and has a good selection of maps. The GPS works okay too. Would really need a mount for it in a vehicle, as it is a bit tiresome to hold it all the time. Or like my Co-pilot, when she's not checking where we are, or what speed I'm doing, she's on Facebook, or playing bloody games. :-)

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 545219

Reply By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Thursday, Feb 05, 2015 at 22:21

Thursday, Feb 05, 2015 at 22:21
Herein lies the great conundrum for those of us who got totally spoiled by starting with a laptop running OziExplorer, connected to a GPS, in the car. Nothing else comes close for utility and flexibility albeit with an absolute spaghetti junction of wires everywhere and a great heavy laptop that weighs a ton sitting on your (wife's) lap.

None of the iPad apps do the business without driving you nuts because they won't do really simple basic things that OziExplorer does really easily on a PC. All the money I've wasted on iPad apps trying to do the same thing could have bought several computers now I reckon, so good luck with your deliberations.

That said, if all your wife wants to know is where you are going, Memory Maps or MudMaps may well suit her, but I always find that the precise map section you need has mysteriously deleted itself just as you get out of the range of the Internet to be able to download it again. I guess this is because Apple has some magical method of deleting the file you need just before you need it, whilst retaining millions of others you will never need. It takes rare genius.
AnswerID: 545428

Sponsored Links