Road trip from NSW to WA

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 03, 2015 at 08:31
ThreadID: 110968 Views:2458 Replies:4 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

My partner and I are soon to be off on a road trip. We are driving from NSW to WA to settle in WA permanently after six years of living in NSW.

Has anyone got any good advice or tips About the journey. Any advice would be much appreciated.

We are experienced campers and take safety seriously so think we are sorted in that respect.

Regards

Breezy

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Peter M (QLD) - Tuesday, Feb 03, 2015 at 11:05

Tuesday, Feb 03, 2015 at 11:05
G'day Breezy
See ThreadID: 110915 on page 2 of forum for all of the great information I received from members about going accross the Nallaboor. See motherhen's advice and her blog on travel to WA & NT
I have found that if you ask the members of ExploreOz will help
Stay well & stay safe
PeterM Qld
AnswerID: 545276

Follow Up By: Breezy - Tuesday, Feb 03, 2015 at 12:58

Tuesday, Feb 03, 2015 at 12:58
Thank you for your advice Peter I will take a look at the thread.

Also I forgot to ask is there any scams or tricks or anything we should watch out for on the way? For example, is it safe to camp along the side of the road etc?
FollowupID: 832818

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Feb 03, 2015 at 19:47

Tuesday, Feb 03, 2015 at 19:47
Yes, quite safe to camp along the roadside and plenty of room to get away from the traffic along the Nullarbor Breezy. You can contact me privately through my profile or blogs for all the details of distances, roadhouses, camping and climate.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 832844

Reply By: Zippo - Tuesday, Feb 03, 2015 at 12:46

Tuesday, Feb 03, 2015 at 12:46
Are you about using this as an opportunity to explore a sizeable bit of Oz, or is it just a case of "getting there"? It makes a big difference to the type of comments/suggestions that would be helpful to you.
AnswerID: 545284

Follow Up By: Breezy - Tuesday, Feb 03, 2015 at 12:56

Tuesday, Feb 03, 2015 at 12:56
Yes we want to use this as an opportunity to explore, we are taking approximately three months to do the trip :) any comments and suggestions would be really helpful.
FollowupID: 832817

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Tuesday, Feb 03, 2015 at 13:35

Tuesday, Feb 03, 2015 at 13:35
Hi Breezy,
You will need to give a bit more info such as the type of vehicle you are driving as that will determine which roads and tracks you can safely drive. Also Im a bit confused when you say you are experienced campers but then ask if you can camp beside a road? Just how experienced are you - again that would have a bearing on whereabouts I might suggest that you explore.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 832823

Follow Up By: Breezy - Tuesday, Feb 03, 2015 at 14:08

Tuesday, Feb 03, 2015 at 14:08
We are driving a Nissan Navara 4WD. We have a canopy at the back that we sleep in. We normally camp in National Parks or State forests that have designated campsites. We have never been on a road trip this is our first time, that's why I ask about the side of the road etc.. I have read that people do this on the Nullabour but sounds a bit dangerous to me? I hope that helps, sorry I'm new to this forum thing too.
FollowupID: 832824

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Tuesday, Feb 03, 2015 at 14:35

Tuesday, Feb 03, 2015 at 14:35
Thanks Breezy, that helps a lot. First up there is a heap of info on this site (in blogs and forum posts) to help you as you work out where you might go. Use the search button in top RH corner and check out Great Central Road, Anne Beadell Highway, Nullarbor for starters. Have a look in Places too and use the maps there to guide you around. We have a number of blogs covering the above routes and others that may be of interest to you.

If you are going in the winter months I think I would spend a while in the Flinders Ranges, head up the Stuart Highway having a look around Coober Pedy, Chambers Pillar etc on the way, spend a couple of weeks exploring around Alice Springs, then go across the Great Central road to Laverton. From there you could either wander down to Esperance and explore the beautiful south coast from Cape Arid westwards, or head west to Geraldton through wildflower country and then explore south to Perth.

With 3 months you can explore quite a bit but it will depend on the time of year that you plan to go and whether you want to be inland or stay along the coast.

As to safe camping: we often travel alone and sleep in our Troopy and have done so for a couple of decades and I can only think of one or two nights when we felt the need to move for safety reasons. But we do try to get out of sight of the road to make camp for the night, but sometimes that is not possible. The golden rule is to be a good number of kms away from towns and settlements. We have camped beside the road while on the Nullarbor and have not had any issues.

BTW any word on this site that is underlined is clickable eg click on Places and you will go directly to that part of the site.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 832826

Follow Up By: Zippo - Tuesday, Feb 03, 2015 at 15:48

Tuesday, Feb 03, 2015 at 15:48
Breezy, given the time you have available I would consider the Nullarboring as the last option to choose. I have done it at least seven times, which I consider six too many. Last time we left Perth for places afar we used the GCR, and in June we plan on leaving the same way.

Depending how soon you intend to start your expedition will impact on routes also.
FollowupID: 832830

Follow Up By: Breezy - Tuesday, Feb 03, 2015 at 16:56

Tuesday, Feb 03, 2015 at 16:56
Thanks Val and Zippo lots of useful information there. We may well miss the Nullarboring then :)

We are leaving very shortly - next month Mid-March 2015. So we are keeping our fingers crossed for the weather. Val would we still be able to venture to any of your suggestions given the time of year we are going?

Val thanks for the tip of the underlining of words.
FollowupID: 832833

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Tuesday, Feb 03, 2015 at 21:51

Tuesday, Feb 03, 2015 at 21:51
Hi Breezy,
While we haven't travelled to those areas in March the weather info in the Places information suggests that by April the inland areas are starting to cool off - but they are average temps so there could still be hot days and even fires to be aware of. To avoid the heat you could first spend a while exploring along the Murray River, or down along the Victorian coast, Grampians NP, Eyre Peninsular, then into the Flinders by early April, reaching Alice Springs by about mid April. That should be OK, but the opinions of others who have first hand experience would be better.

Remember that if you go via the Great Central Road you will need a permit.

Overall taking 3 months to travel to your new home sounds a great idea, hope you have a very enjoyable and memorable trip.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 832850

Reply By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Tuesday, Feb 03, 2015 at 16:12

Tuesday, Feb 03, 2015 at 16:12
If you have a smart phone get the Wikicamps app. It will show most of the available camping areas.
Speaking of phones get a blue tick one on the Telstra network for the best coverage.
AnswerID: 545291

Reply By: Rob J8 - Tuesday, Feb 03, 2015 at 22:06

Tuesday, Feb 03, 2015 at 22:06
If you have 3 months to get to Perth from Sydney, why not head up through Queensland, across to the Northern Territory up to Darwin, back down to Katherine, turn right and head west to the big state of Western Australia and then head down the coast to Perth. It's the long way but as some have stated you will miss the Nullarboring
Which ever way you go, enjoy the trip and you will love the west Regards Rob J
AnswerID: 545308

Sponsored Links