Provent 200.....suitability for a larger capacity engine??

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 07, 2015 at 11:01
ThreadID: 111028 Views:3776 Replies:7 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Okay, here's the deal....

I have a 2003 Landcruiser 100 series and I fitted a Provent 200 oil catch can to it back in 2010 when I bought it.

I swear by these beaut little items as they keep all the crud out of the intercooler and associated downstream pipe work.

Now that I have the Chev Silverado, I am wondering whether the Provent 200 will be up to the task?

The specs for the 200 say that they are suitable for engines up to 250kW....whereas the Chev has a maximum output of 297kW which would tend to indicate I should be fitting a Provent 400....which is good for up to 500kW.

Given that I don't drive my rigs "hard", I doubt I would ever be demanding more than 250kW from the engine anyway, so I'm thinking the best (cheapest) option is to just rip-out the 200 off the cruiser and install it on the Chev.....

Before I go ahead down this path, does anybody have any considered thoughts about this, please?

Cheers

Roachie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bigfish - Saturday, Feb 07, 2015 at 11:07

Saturday, Feb 07, 2015 at 11:07
Give Western Filters a ring. I bought my provent from them and I think they will be able to steer you in the right direction. They sell the original Mann product. Not imitations.

cheers
AnswerID: 545533

Reply By: pop2jocem - Saturday, Feb 07, 2015 at 12:32

Saturday, Feb 07, 2015 at 12:32
G'day Roachie,

More a comment than a recommendation. As the Provent, or any such similar device, is intended to remove, as much as possible, oil from the engine's crankcase breather system, I would have thought the engine's capacity would have played more of a part in the selection of a suitable sized component rather than it's power rating.
Sure, as a general rule the bigger the engine, the bigger power output. Generally speaking the engine "breathes" from it's crankcase because of piston blowby.
Maybe have a look at the size of the breather piping of the Chevy as compared to your previous steed.

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 545539

Reply By: cruza25 - Saturday, Feb 07, 2015 at 12:48

Saturday, Feb 07, 2015 at 12:48
I am sure there is room for 2 x 200s under that bonnet ( or should i say Hood)....??

Seriously though, 1 may be ok but might you just may have to drain and change the filter a bit more frequently. The risk of clogging could be over-pressurizing the crankcase and damaging seals.
May be for peace of mind sell the 200 and get a nice new 400 with a new filter.

Cheers
mike

AnswerID: 545540

Reply By: Roachie.kadina.sa.au - Saturday, Feb 07, 2015 at 13:59

Saturday, Feb 07, 2015 at 13:59
Thanks for the responses...all good info and ideas.

Surprisingly, there is very little space on the driver's side of the motor (which is the side that the breather hose is on) due to a massive air intake ducting system (previous owner fitted a Banks cold air intake set-up and i think the pipes are about 5" diameter)...so whatever I decide to fit will have to be plumbed-up to be located down near the headlight or similar.

I think it will be best if I give Western Filters a call next week....I'm sure they'll suggest the 400 as it's $395- posted!!!

Roachie
AnswerID: 545545

Reply By: Geepeem - Saturday, Feb 07, 2015 at 15:10

Saturday, Feb 07, 2015 at 15:10
Has anyone noticed how hard it is becoming to buy a good Silverado second hand? At the end of last year there was 97 for sale on Carsales but it has slowly been dropping and today there are only 76 listed. As soon as a good recent model is listed it is sold. Even people from southern states are coming up here to buy our good Queensland ones…LOL. What hope have I got???

I think people are just realising how good they are.

Cheers

AnswerID: 545550

Follow Up By: Member - Fab72 (Paradise SA) - Sunday, Feb 08, 2015 at 10:22

Sunday, Feb 08, 2015 at 10:22
G'day Geepeem,
Looking at carsales, cars from QLD are generally 5-10% cheaper than the equivalent vehicle here in SA or Vic. The floods that happened a few years ago still have people a bit on edge about buying a QLD car.
On a big dollar purchase, the cheap airfares, a few nights in a seedy motel and a road trip makes the fly/drive worth it.
Especially for us here in SA where as long as the tyres have tread on them, the lights work and the VIN and Engine No. match the paper work, it's a tick in the box and about $100 to register it here.
I've bought my last few cars from interstate because of the cheaper price.
WA is cheap on second hand cars and boats too. Cashed up miners wanting the latest and greatest means there is a frequent change over of low km/hours cars and boats and the second hand market is flooded.
Fab.
FollowupID: 833172

Reply By: Roachie.kadina.sa.au - Saturday, Feb 07, 2015 at 17:33

Saturday, Feb 07, 2015 at 17:33
Okay, I've been watching a Provent 400 on ebay, from Western Filters.

They've got a special on at the moment whereby they are doing them postage free.....

So, I've jumped in and bought one, without even knowing how/where I will fit it.

The one thing I do know for sure is that I don't want anymore blow-by gases going into my intake structure!!! This should do the trick.

Roachie
AnswerID: 545558

Reply By: Racey - Saturday, Feb 07, 2015 at 19:08

Saturday, Feb 07, 2015 at 19:08
Roachie, Have a look on the Landcruiser owners website. Provent catch cans

You may have to register if you haven't already.
AnswerID: 545560

Follow Up By: Roachie.kadina.sa.au - Saturday, Feb 07, 2015 at 22:08

Saturday, Feb 07, 2015 at 22:08
Thanks mate,

Yes I am already a member on Lcool site and read that thread. In fact I think I actually contributed to another thread about catch cans on that site, including pics of how I mounted mine.

I will wait and see how big the 400 is and then work out where I can fit it.

Roachie
FollowupID: 833160

Follow Up By: bluefella - Sunday, Feb 08, 2015 at 11:37

Sunday, Feb 08, 2015 at 11:37
G, day Bill
I bet you told the missus you would not be spending $$$$$$ on this one too, nothing wrong with having a flash horse is there mate,
Cheers and all the best with your new venture.
Al.
FollowupID: 833176

Sponsored Links