Hard to Believe !!

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 08, 2015 at 11:38
ThreadID: 111039 Views:2670 Replies:6 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
With all the comprehensive information on the mainland, Australia's third largest Island barely rates a mention in the ExplorOz website, amazingly no treck notes, a few pages, archived in the Forum mainly asking questions and the only bright note being some credible blog notes by Stephen L from Clare SA.
Is Kangaroo Island ExplorOz's best kept secret by design ? & Thanks Stephen and Fiona.
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Feb 08, 2015 at 11:51

Sunday, Feb 08, 2015 at 11:51
Hi Balvenie Pastoral

The trouble with a lot of people's thinking is the ferry cost seem to put them off. I tell people that it is not as bad they think and they are missing out on one very special place to visit here in South Australia.

My advise to anyone that I talk in going over, is go for no less that 10 days and even then you will not see it all. When they say it is only a small island and they think they can see It all in acouple of days, I tell them that there are over 1600 kilometres of great roads and the scenery is just fantastic.

We spent 5 days in the Dudley bleep ula and then 10 days down in western KI.

So come on people, do yourself justice and see one very special place in South Australia.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 545578

Follow Up By: Member - Michael John T (VIC) - Sunday, Feb 08, 2015 at 11:59

Sunday, Feb 08, 2015 at 11:59
We were there quite a few years ago now and loved it then.
We really must return for another visit.
Mike.
FollowupID: 833177

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Sunday, Feb 08, 2015 at 12:09

Sunday, Feb 08, 2015 at 12:09
Stephen,

"Dudley bleep ula" ???? I had to Google that to discover that it should be the 'Dudley Peninsular'. Your spell checker has done a great job! LOL
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 833178

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Sunday, Feb 08, 2015 at 12:33

Sunday, Feb 08, 2015 at 12:33
I think maybe Stephen mis-spelt Peninsula, by possibly not including the second "n" and EO's automatic bleeper edited out that part of the word that might have described the male appendage.....

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 833179

Follow Up By: Jos - Sunday, Feb 08, 2015 at 18:45

Sunday, Feb 08, 2015 at 18:45
I recently thought of taking the camper there for a few days, but the cost of the ferry (45 min trip) is just ridiculous. For 2 adults and 2 students plus camper and car, the cost was about $750 for return fares. Maybe ok cost if I had a few weeks there, but I'm not spending that much for just a few days of camping.
FollowupID: 833203

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Feb 08, 2015 at 19:01

Sunday, Feb 08, 2015 at 19:01
Hi Jos

If you book direct through Sealink, and pre book your first nights accommodation, they usually have a discounted price that is money you will save.

I can not understand why you would want to only be there for a few days, as you would be doing yourself an injustice, as there is just so much to see.

My next advise that I also tell people and intend to see most of the important sites, is to get the Yearly National Parks Pass, as by the time you pay to see all the important things that the Island has to offer, you are miles in front.

There are some great free camping spots, as well as very cheap Council camping spots, which again will save you money.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 833205

Reply By: Member - Andrew & Jen - Sunday, Feb 08, 2015 at 12:12

Sunday, Feb 08, 2015 at 12:12
Balvenie Pastoral
For some strange reason, many people seem to consider dollars spent on a ferry rdie to be different to dollars spent on fuel, wear and tare, accommodation and, of course their time spent traveling to locations much further away. Even if in total it is less expensive to use the ferry! Go figure :-)
BTW, there is a good Facebook group called "Kangaroo Island - Natures Paradise" that you might want to have a look at - the pictures are generally superb.
Cheers
Andrew
AnswerID: 545579

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Sunday, Feb 08, 2015 at 12:17

Sunday, Feb 08, 2015 at 12:17
Its puzzling when a well known place with plenty of attractions of one kind or another does not appear to be well recognised by others. Your comments could also apply to the NE corner of NSW and much of Queensland too, where the Great Dividing Range provides wonderful scenery, some adventurous driving and great camping.

I think that there are particular regions where people tend to go - Cape York, the Kimberley, Simpson Desert, CSR, Tasmania for extended or challenging trips, and the places right under our noses are then overlooked, somewhere to go for a short break, or a long weekend. Which is a pity because there are many places and drives that have a lot to offer.

I am one of the many who has not been to Kangaroo Island. When it comes to planning a long trip to either WA or up the centre to Alice Springs and beyond, unfortunately Kangaroo Island is off the "beaten track" (access route) and so gets overlooked. For the rest of the time its a fair step from the eastern seaboard. But keep bringing it to our collective attention, there are so many places to visit it's hard to fit them all in.

Cheers,

Val.
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 545580

Reply By: Robyn R4 - Sunday, Feb 08, 2015 at 14:16

Sunday, Feb 08, 2015 at 14:16
Totally agree!
Not sure on the ferry costs these days but factor it in and go!
What amazing experiences...the penguins that camp out in all sorts of weird places, the Remarkable Rocks, the seal colony, the beaches, the friendly roos at the picnic sites, Kelly Hill Caves and the kiosk's superb hotdogs that are still rated in our favourite meals in all our travels (I hope they're still nice!)...
Maybe people think that a 4WD means they have to take on "the big stuff" like deserted tracks and they don't realise the often much closer delights of KI!
No 4WD needed...my Nissan Skyline loved the ungraded road to Kelly Hill caves!

:)
AnswerID: 545585

Reply By: Crusier 91 - Sunday, Feb 08, 2015 at 16:16

Sunday, Feb 08, 2015 at 16:16
We live 1 hour from Cape Jervis and have never been to KI for the reason mentioned previously "great roads". We prefer off beat tracks that don't cost $350 plus for a ferry for the rig and camper.
AnswerID: 545590

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Feb 08, 2015 at 17:26

Sunday, Feb 08, 2015 at 17:26
Hi Cruiser

Trust me, it is well worth it. There are some great places to see over.

Give it a go and you will not regret it.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 833198

Reply By: OBJ - Monday, Feb 09, 2015 at 20:09

Monday, Feb 09, 2015 at 20:09
There were some reports quite some time ago about trouble some campers had with the locals (ferals they were referred to) so who made it clear to this group that they did not want tourists (terrorists they called them) on the Island. I had included KI in my trip when I was in the area, but after questioning the reporting by this aggrieved group felt they were genuine. I decided that apart from the cost of the ferry, I could well do without the hassle, and went elsewhere. It may be a pity, but sometimes the actions of locals can cause damage to the well intentioned efforts of others.

At other locations I am prepared to "give it a go" against the advice offered around the campfire, but when slugged with a ferry cost it was a risk I decided was not worth taking. It's a big country so if I miss one attraction I'll see another.

Apologies to the KI people who I am sure try to make all-comers welcome. A few locals may have tarnished your efforts.

OBJ
AnswerID: 545638

Follow Up By: Member - Munji - Tuesday, Feb 10, 2015 at 16:33

Tuesday, Feb 10, 2015 at 16:33
Maybe we could ask for a EO members discount to promote KI on this site. Just a thought.
FollowupID: 833284

Sponsored Links