Used 4wd

Submitted: Monday, Mar 08, 2004 at 21:51
ThreadID: 11107 Views:2090 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Im looking to purchase a second hand four wheel drive, at the moment i am thinking of a Daihatsu Rocky TD. It will be used mainly on the road but also offroad on holidays. I just want to know if anyone would reccomend them and how much are parts as well as their offroad performance. I Have only got a pretty limited budget by todays standard under about 10k.

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Monday, Mar 08, 2004 at 21:57

Monday, Mar 08, 2004 at 21:57
Bush Pig,
I know nothing at all about the Rocky but for that sort of money you could pick up a reasonable 85 / 86 Rangie, I did and it's great fun. Helps if you are handy around the workshops to save the costs of getting things fixed. If you're looking for economy stick with the Rocky or maybe a Suzuki Sierra even, I don't know if you're specifically looking for a diesel.
Keep the shiny side up

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 49597

Follow Up By: Bush pig - Monday, Mar 08, 2004 at 22:34

Monday, Mar 08, 2004 at 22:34
Thanks for that suggestion Martyn.

Yeah im looking for something that will be fairly cheap to run. I know that the rangies guzzle the juice (unless its LPG). Im looking for a Turbo Diesel preferable, because of their economical value and they last longer.

I like the look of the Rocky cause its an in between four wheel drive not to small yet not to big.

FollowupID: 311391

Follow Up By: biscuits - Tuesday, Mar 09, 2004 at 14:08

Tuesday, Mar 09, 2004 at 14:08
Just remember bush pig, turbo diesels may last longer and drink a lot less fuel, but when something does go wrong with the engine it will be significantly more to repair/overhaul compared to a petrol engine.

A mate of mine has a 350ci V8 2 door rangie on LPG which drinks around about the same as my turbo diesel patrol (12-13L per 100km) - of course this varies according to terrain (ie soft sand+v8+heavy 4wd=lots of heat+guzzle fuel).

Think about a rangie - cheap as, plenty of parts, coil sprung load balancing suspension, pretty reliable, aluminium body (no rust). Just make sure its on LPG thats all.

On the other hand something like a sierra could be okay - very very light (~940kg manual), very basic (easy to work on), economical 1.3L (only 45kW tho)... Gearing isnt exactly suited to anything over about 80kms (I think they rev at about 3900rpm at 100kms)....

Otherwise think about the SWB landcruisers and patrols if you dont want a full sized 4WD but still tough as reputations with turbo diesel options.

Dave.
FollowupID: 311439

Follow Up By: WarrenJM - Tuesday, Mar 09, 2004 at 21:36

Tuesday, Mar 09, 2004 at 21:36
Hi,
We went through same decision making and looked at Nissan , Pajero, Rocky etc but having had two Rangies many moons ago decided that is way to go. Bought 1982 4 door manual , 164,000 claimed miles, last owner for 14 years,
You can buy recon short motors (3.5) from $1750 and trannies are a lot cheaper than Japanese gear.

Warren
FollowupID: 311509

Reply By: Pelesino - Tuesday, Mar 09, 2004 at 11:21

Tuesday, Mar 09, 2004 at 11:21
Big Bush,
I recommend you to buy something with coils spring suspension, I think the rocky comes with leaf springs. It will make a big difference.
AnswerID: 49640

Reply By: Jon - '88 TD42 GQ - Tuesday, Mar 09, 2004 at 16:50

Tuesday, Mar 09, 2004 at 16:50
There was a 'buying used' review of the rockey in 4WD Monthly a while back. Was pretty complimentary. They're no luxury bus but apparently very tough and reliable. One part of the story I remember is a property owner who got one becasue he thought it was a partol, he just drove in, asked the dealer if it was any good an bought it on spec - ah the country - and got a farm had to drive it home only to realsie what he'd done. Now all his farm vehicles are Rockys. If you can get the back issue they talked about what to look for, common mods.probs etc so worth a look.

You can get back issues from them on 1800 801 647.
AnswerID: 49674

Reply By: Paul1 - Tuesday, Mar 09, 2004 at 18:05

Tuesday, Mar 09, 2004 at 18:05
Bushpig, I was looking in the lower price 4x4s and bought a 1990 Jackaroo. The 2.6lt EFI 4 cylinder petrol engine in economical (12 -14lts/100k city driving) and they have the space inside for gear. Jackaroos come standard with LSD and plenty were fitted out with extras. I bought mine from a retiring farmer outside of Brisbane for $8,000, and it only had 105,000ks. It had the Holden "Service Pack": 16" wheels, side steps, bull bar etc. I fitted a cargo barrier and found a full length aluminium roof rack for $100. I buy all my spares through Jackaroo World on the internet and can get parts delivered to my door for between 50 - 80% the price from a Holden dealer. I don't go mountain climbing or pushing the limits of machine against the environment, but I have been in some rugged conditions and have rescued lots of Pajeros and once a Landcruiser. The Jackaroo may lack the creature features, but for reliability, economy at the bowser and repairs it suits me fine.

Paul1
AnswerID: 49683

Sponsored Links