Comment: Making Your Itinerary

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 11, 2015 at 09:06
ThreadID: 111079 Views:2464 Replies:11 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
We are planning an 8 to 10 week trip from Sydney to Perth, Broome, Karratha and back to Sydney via the NT. Starting date would be October 2016 and returning late December/early January.
We will (more than likely) be driving a late model falcon wagon, so are not planning on going off road. We will be looking for accommodation, not camping and a maximum travel time of 8 to 10 hours a day (including breaks). There are two of us and we will be sharing the driving duties. We have extensive driving experience on Oz roads & conditions and regularly do road trips.
We were looking for advice on places to stay & see. What to avoid and any helpful hints & tips.
Thank you.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Wednesday, Feb 11, 2015 at 09:16

Wednesday, Feb 11, 2015 at 09:16
Are you sure of your timing. It is going to be very hot at that time of year and a good chance of getting caught in the wet with flooding roads.

Winter is usually the time everyone goes north??????????

Alan
AnswerID: 545700

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Wednesday, Feb 11, 2015 at 16:09

Wednesday, Feb 11, 2015 at 16:09
Hi Narina,

I have to agree with Allan H about your timing. Suggest that if at all possible reverse your direction and go north first to avoid the summer heat and the possibility of running into an early wet season. Even so, coming home across the Nullarbor could be rather warm.

You would also need to tell us what sort of things interest you - there is so much to see, but also long stretches where many find it "boring" - though not everyone would agree with them.

My best suggestion is to become familiar with the Places section of this wesite (just click on the underlined word and you will be directed there). You can use the map (expand it to full screen) and cruise your proposed route to see accommodation, points of interest etc. Just click on the icons for further info. That may not cover all possibilities but will at least get you started on planning your trip - and in my opinion planning is half the fun so why ask others to do it for you? Use Google for further info about particular areas of interest. Once you have a framework of a plan then come back and ask for advice on significant things you may have missed. Another option is to wing it, but go in to tourism centres for information about local things to do or see, or better still ask other travellers about places of interest.

I hope that hasn't come across as negative but there is just too much out there to list, and in any case much the info you need is already on this site. Which reminds me that there are thousands of blogs on here that will also help to guide you, including over 100 that we have written about our travels that have covered much of your proposed route.

Cheers,

Val.
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 545721

Reply By: Member - BUSH CAMPER - Wednesday, Feb 11, 2015 at 20:49

Wednesday, Feb 11, 2015 at 20:49
Not a good time to travel due to very hot weather and also the start of the wet season, at least you won't have any trouble getting accommodation as nobody travels at that time of the year. Good luck, you will need it!!
AnswerID: 545735

Reply By: wholehog - Wednesday, Feb 11, 2015 at 20:55

Wednesday, Feb 11, 2015 at 20:55
Same advice from me, everyone (most) leaves after Easter to go where you are going and is back south by end October. Accommodation won't be a problem, but heat, rain, water, and flies sure will.
AnswerID: 545736

Reply By: Rob J8 - Wednesday, Feb 11, 2015 at 21:24

Wednesday, Feb 11, 2015 at 21:24
Narina , do listen to what the experienced people say.
If you lived in the North of Australia, no-one would try and give you advice because you would know what to expect. If the cyclone season hits while you're in Broome for example, you could be in the bleep - literally
Look up cyclone Tracy. It hit Darwin one Christmas Eve.
Give it a lot of serious thought .
Rob J
AnswerID: 545739

Reply By: Rob J8 - Wednesday, Feb 11, 2015 at 21:27

Wednesday, Feb 11, 2015 at 21:27
Sorry, couldn't think of another word that would impact as well.
Rob J
AnswerID: 545740

Reply By: Kumunara (NT) - Wednesday, Feb 11, 2015 at 22:31

Wednesday, Feb 11, 2015 at 22:31
Narina

I live in the north and love the heat. I love the wet season. Expect temperatures 35+ and high humidity.
Some roads do get cut due to the rainfall so I suggest that you reverse your trip.
Go to the NT first and then WA, south to Perth and then back to Sydney.
The wet is only just starting in October so unlikely any roads will be closed that time of year.
Places to stay and see. Of course I would recommend the Katherine Gorge, Litchfield, Kakadu, McDonnell Ranges (East and West), Uluru, Kata Tjuta, Kimberley, Karijini, Gibb River Road, Mitchell Falls, Windjana Gorge, Tunnel Creek, etc. That is the start of thousands of places.
Life's great and it just keeps getting better

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 545745

Reply By: Michael H9 - Wednesday, Feb 11, 2015 at 23:17

Wednesday, Feb 11, 2015 at 23:17
Definately agree with going north first. I'd go Sydney, Broken Hill, Port Augusta via the Flinders Ranges, Coober Pedy, Uluru, Alice Springs, Katherine, Kununurra, Halls Creek, Broome, Karatha, Coral Bay, Monkey Mia, Perth then back along the Nullabor with the wind behind you. We did it about 8 years ago and it was around 15,000 kms from memory. There are great things to see and do in all the places I mentioned, too many to list really. If you are time poor like us, you gun it between the towns for an 8-10 hour stretch and spend 2-3 days in each place. If you haven't seen any of the places before then you won't care how hot it is, we did it in January, we're Aussies, flies and heat are normal. On a safety note, I would swap drivers every few hours if you are doing long hops. The garages are a few hours apart out there so make use of them and break the monotony.
AnswerID: 545746

Reply By: Narina M - Thursday, Feb 12, 2015 at 09:29

Thursday, Feb 12, 2015 at 09:29
Thank you everybody for your prompt replies, all your comments are very welcome & appreciated. This will be the first seriously long road trip we have contemplated. Our previous longest has been about 3 weeks.

To be honest, we didn't even consider the possibility of an early wet season and the more extreme temperatures. When we have previously driven through FNQ & NT it has been in the cooler months. Originally we choose October because we were interested in seeing the WA wild flowers in bloom.

We are considering postponing the trip for another six months (May 2017) or going late August 2016 and heading North initially, before driving West and back home.

On the list of places of interest are : Broken Hill, Flinders Ranges, Wilpena Pound, Lake Eyre, Coober Pedy, Tennant Creek, Kununurra, Broome, Kalgoorlie. Any other suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.
AnswerID: 545758

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Thursday, Feb 12, 2015 at 11:06

Thursday, Feb 12, 2015 at 11:06
Well the Ningaloo Coast and Shark Bay are both World Heritage areas so it would be a shame to miss them. Certainly better than Tennant Creek ;-)
FollowupID: 833387

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Thursday, Feb 12, 2015 at 11:24

Thursday, Feb 12, 2015 at 11:24
Narina, I note you mentioned an interest in seeing WA wildflowers in bloom. Whilst we cannot predict what nature will bring each season, the wildflower season is typically late August - last September. This can vary a little depending on how much rain has fallen over winter and how much sunshine the spring brings but generally the wildflowers in the Perth hills appear in August. However if you are travelling about, you'll find wildflowers are widespread across the state with the climatic changes giving plenty of opportunity to see them from the north to the south and the interior. Typically, the blooms start in warmer north earlier (so even July you might see wildflowers), around Perth the season is August-Sept, then in the cooler south you'll still see blooms in October. It's the summer heat that kills them so the window of opportunity is dependent on the seasonal conditions and the exact area you are in.
This article may be of interest to you - Finding Wildflowers in WA
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 833390

Reply By: Member - Peter R (QLD) - Friday, Feb 13, 2015 at 19:58

Friday, Feb 13, 2015 at 19:58
Hi Narina, I created the attached excel doc for our 2009 trip, instructions are in document. This will help you to estimate your travel time between towns (and in total).
AnswerID: 545873

Reply By: Member - Peter H1 (NSW) - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2015 at 08:30

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2015 at 08:30
Sorry unless I wrong, all you will see is a white line, no time to stop and smell the roses.
Cut the trip in half and see the country.
PeterH
AnswerID: 546071

Sponsored Links