Spot Connect Australian support

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 12, 2015 at 17:23
ThreadID: 111097 Views:2087 Replies:5 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
I bought a Spot Connect in 2013 through ExplorOz, bought a plan, but couldn't pair Spot with my phone, at the last minute we delayed our trip for hubby to buy an iphone, still no go, so we took off next day thinking we'd surely be able to succeed along the way, nup! At Bourke Telstra tried for a couple of hours..nup! Up through Qld to the Gulf and back down the coast. We stopped asking people to help after Cairns. As soon as we arrived back home, son and family of 6 moved in with us for 10 months, so Spot lay forgotten. We've never been able to use it. It's firmware was/is up to date by the way.
In April we're planning a long outback trip.... oh no, Spotty, does anyone know where I can have this lemon looked at ?

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mick O - Friday, Feb 13, 2015 at 06:55

Friday, Feb 13, 2015 at 06:55
Hi guys. I don't have a spot but I travel with companions who do use them. I must admit I thought that a SPOT was a stand alone tracking device. Why would you need to hook link it through your phone? When we use them they connect direct to the spot service through a satellite. They work really well.

Am I barking up the wrong tree?

All the very best with it.

Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 545815

Follow Up By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Friday, Feb 13, 2015 at 07:13

Friday, Feb 13, 2015 at 07:13
There are a couple of Spot devices. The one you are familiar with is a stand alone with fixed messages. The Spot Connect allows you to write different messages via your phone. Click on the links to see better descriptions.
FollowupID: 833466

Follow Up By: Mick O - Friday, Feb 13, 2015 at 08:41

Friday, Feb 13, 2015 at 08:41
Thanks for that Rod. That clears it up for me.

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 833471

Reply By: The Landy - Friday, Feb 13, 2015 at 07:38

Friday, Feb 13, 2015 at 07:38
With the later generation of Spot devices you are able to send limited SMS and emails from the device when paired with your smart-phone, however without knowing which unit you have it is difficult to comment on whether it is possible to link it to the phone. But from your post I’m sure you have this aspect covered.

Could I suggest you call Spot support, I’ve had a couple of interactions and have always found them very helpful.

I have an older version of Spot which I use when bush-walking or when touring in the four-wheel drive as a tracking device. To do this you need to pay an annual fee to Spot and this will make your tracking visible via the Spot website and in turn this can be linked to EO tracking.

I did find this on the website, have you done this?

Let us know the outcome!

Cheers, Baz – The Landy
AnswerID: 545816

Follow Up By: Member - Chucklingwater - Friday, Feb 13, 2015 at 11:12

Friday, Feb 13, 2015 at 11:12
Downloaded both android and apple apps on two different phones, no go, unfortunately Baz. I'll go back to the site, thanks for help.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 833495

Reply By: Sigmund - Friday, Feb 13, 2015 at 10:18

Friday, Feb 13, 2015 at 10:18
The connection is made via Bluetooth. Test the smartphones' pairing with another device. If they work then maybe the Spot's Bluetooth is defective.
AnswerID: 545843

Follow Up By: Member - Chucklingwater - Friday, Feb 13, 2015 at 11:01

Friday, Feb 13, 2015 at 11:01
First we tried pairing it my android phone then when that didn't work, hubby went off an bought an iphone, still no go. So definitely not the phone's fault. I have a naughty heart that's misbehaving more lately (needs a good talking to!) so I need to be able to make contact. If no Spot then it'll have to be a Sat phone.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 833492

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Friday, Feb 13, 2015 at 11:20

Friday, Feb 13, 2015 at 11:20
Hmm.Well as Landy suggested, best call Spot in Aus. I've done it once too.

I will say that though these devices are solid state they can still fail. Spots are not the most rugged IMO. Compare their build quality with say a GME PLB. Chalk and cheese. And firmware updates can fail. If you have the patience and there's the option, try a reset and reinstall. I've had a new Satphone half work and then stop altogether after a firmware update.

Good luck with it.

FollowupID: 833498

Reply By: Member - Andrew & Jen - Friday, Feb 13, 2015 at 20:37

Friday, Feb 13, 2015 at 20:37
Hullo Chucklingwater
I have had the older SPOT2 for about 4 years - this sends a message to designated phones as a sms.
I use 4 standard messages, with the only one I have used to date being "All's well" and giving my position with GPS coords. My daughter has an app on her smart phone that immediately shows my position on a map. As a trained emergency officer, she knows the drill re responding to problems.
The other messages are "I need vehicle help", I need medical (non life threateneing) help" and lastly, the SOS that goes through to SAR in Canberra.
Initially I had difficultly getting the settings right to send the sms; that was sorted out when I realised I had to use the international code for Australia, ie, +61......... as the sms was being sent from the US.
Very reliable, simple to use and handy size for carrying in the pack. A key attribute for me is the ability to send an appropriate message for the situation.
Cheers
Andrew
AnswerID: 545879

Follow Up By: richard - Saturday, Feb 14, 2015 at 13:04

Saturday, Feb 14, 2015 at 13:04
To ask a dumb question did you register it and get a plan with SPOT.

You not only have to buy the device you have to pay a yearly subscription to them..

Sorry if you already stated this

Richard
FollowupID: 833571

Reply By: Member - Chucklingwater - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2015 at 10:01

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2015 at 10:01
Thanks everyone, for your suggestions. It's back to Support for Spotty. I had registered, bought a plan, those that tried to get it going at 3 Telstra places after I failed, checked that too! Anyway along the way I've learnt more from your comments so that's been helpful. Keep smiling, Ange.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 546538

Sponsored Links