road conditions

Submitted: Friday, May 10, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1111 Views:1670 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
hi all, I am heading inland early july . was wondering is it possible to tow a pop-top van 16ft between tibooburra and innaminka with a Patrol
Any comments on road conditions much appreciated
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Fred - Friday, May 10, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, May 10, 2002 at 00:00
Hello Gerry
I have a 16ft pop top and definitely would not tow it from Tibooburra to Innamincka. I could, but wouldn't if you know what I mean. The road is rough in parts and dust and stones can also be a problem. If it rains you would be quickly stuck. We were in a party stranded for over 30 hours between Innamincka and Tibooburra when it rained last July and we were all in 4wds without even trailers. Now if you get ideal conditions and take it easy you'll get there allright but your van may suffer. I think good tents are a much better alternative in the outback. Good luck!
AnswerID: 3454

Reply By: Steve - Saturday, May 11, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, May 11, 2002 at 00:00
Gerry : if dry this trip is a breeze and with a van a little less than a breeze but no real dramas ... if it is wet or has been,, its a hell of a different scene !! Any rain in the Outback really sets the cat among the pigeons !!!

Why not give the Tibooburra Hotel and The Innamincka Trading Post a call prior to your departure to verify road conditions etc... its their business to keep the travellers happy after all !!

steve
AnswerID: 3458

Reply By: Gordon - Sunday, May 12, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, May 12, 2002 at 00:00
Gerry, If the weather is ok and you are sensible about what you are doing you will have no problems.I have towed a 12ft pop-top from Birdsville,Marree,Oodnadatta,Coober Pedy,Port Augusta,Flinders Ranges,Innamincka,Tibooburra,Wanaaring,Bourke and back to central Qld.Aug/Sept.,I feel this is a better time to travel, Rains have gone?and temp. is more pleasant.I have never had any problems in all the years I have been travelling out back.
AnswerID: 3477

Reply By: Fred - Sunday, May 12, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, May 12, 2002 at 00:00
Gerry, Fred again - just remember that even with a good weather report and road report, the roads go from OK to undriveable in hours if it rains. Hence be sure to carry adequate supplies as you'll be stuck for longer than solo vehicles in th event of rain. I recently travelled the Old Strzlecki track and wouldn't recommend it for a van - take the slightly longer way around.
AnswerID: 3478

Reply By: Mal Try - Tuesday, May 14, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, May 14, 2002 at 00:00
Fred, they graded the Old Streslecki three weeks ago. It's NOW the way to go. Mal.
AnswerID: 3533

Follow Up By: Fred - Wednesday, May 15, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, May 15, 2002 at 00:00
Oh OK Mal that's useful info for current travellers - I thought it was the "minor" track - but a grader makes a difference!!
FollowupID: 1446

Sponsored Links