I have gas problems

Submitted: Friday, Feb 13, 2015 at 18:36
ThreadID: 111108 Views:1672 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
In my caravan my hot water service works perfectly on 240volt but when running on gas it seems to heat well when first turned on but soon after (maybe an hour later) it keeps making a clicking sound and gas smell is apparent. Anyone been through this before?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: TomH - Friday, Feb 13, 2015 at 21:37

Friday, Feb 13, 2015 at 21:37
Wind blowing the flame out Something wrong with jet or igniter.

Igniter misaligned
AnswerID: 545882

Reply By: hooks - Saturday, Feb 14, 2015 at 10:22

Saturday, Feb 14, 2015 at 10:22
Hello, Been-Everywhereman, you may have a slight leak around the gas joints to your hot water service. I fitted a safety monitor to the gas cylinder, the kind to indicate a leak. Although we could not smell gas inside the van, the gauge was indicating a leak somewhere. It turned out to be a loose connection at one of the elbow joints in the gas line. We had occasional trouble igniting and some clicking sounds evident, but eventually the water heated, this despite the loose nut.
I suggest it would be wise to check the nuts, the one in our example was loose by a good turn with the shifting wrench.
Hope you are able to find the problem.

Bob.
AnswerID: 545902

Reply By: HKB Electronics - Saturday, Feb 14, 2015 at 10:44

Saturday, Feb 14, 2015 at 10:44
The clicking is probably the ignitor trying to light the burner.

If you can smell gas it is most likely the flame has gone out or is not lighting,
if easy to get at, check the lighter electrode etc. Check you have gas and that it is turned on, not some setups might have a service tap located under the van etc if you have more than one gas appliance to allow individual appliances to be isolated.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 545903

Reply By: Member - mike g2 - Saturday, Feb 14, 2015 at 11:53

Saturday, Feb 14, 2015 at 11:53
Hi, agree with comments- gas smell + clicking seems to mean not enough gas getting thru to igniter most likely because of a leak. sounds like an auto ignite type.
in my previous motorhome, 3 way system looked for whatever is "on" and selects it. If 240V is off, tries 12V, then tries gas. Auto selector kept clicking( sparking the ignitor ) as I assume it doesn't know if gas is on or off. Stops clicking when gas on and ignited.
flame may also be going out after time because of wind or faulty system. check with soapy water for leaks.. A "gas fuse " if installed should quickly indicate and prevent against leaks as well. 1 hr delay in time between turn on and loss of heat would be the water heater taking time to heat any rate. next step- check/service the heater at a c/van centre or gas plumber .
I have heard of cases of contaminated gas supplies. also ? partially blocked jet.etc.
MG
AnswerID: 545905

Follow Up By: TomH - Saturday, Feb 14, 2015 at 12:29

Saturday, Feb 14, 2015 at 12:29
As I understand it a gas fuse wont operate on a small leak It is designed to shut off in the case of a connection failing or a hose blowing

In the event of a major gas leak, the Gas Safety Gauge will automatically shut off the gas. This makes the Gas Safety Gauge 100% perfect for spare cylinders by preventing the accidental release of gas.

Have got two of them Tried both Neither detected a deliberate slow leak and neither actually show the level in the bottle. One shows full even when the bottle is empty. Yes I do know to pump them to get them to work.

A classic case of marketing over actual ability.
FollowupID: 833567

Reply By: Been-Everywhereman - Saturday, Feb 14, 2015 at 13:16

Saturday, Feb 14, 2015 at 13:16
Thanks for your replies. It gives me a lot to go with.
AnswerID: 545910

Follow Up By: Member - Jim - Monday, Feb 16, 2015 at 18:00

Monday, Feb 16, 2015 at 18:00
Been-Everywhereman,

Check the operation of the gas solenoids, the usual fault is that one of the solenoids fails and the gas switches off.
This can vary from single minutes to multiples thereof
Put a multimeter in the circuit measuring the current, it will be about 1 amp for normal operation and when it goes off it will go to about 0.5 amp. This closes the valve.
If this happens there is your problem.
The other issue is the on an off sensors for temperature that are in the circuit. This may be secondary after the first check.

The gas solenoids are expensive, what isn't but it is a common fault.

Cheers,
Jim

FollowupID: 833717

Reply By: Glenn C5 - Sunday, Feb 15, 2015 at 15:53

Sunday, Feb 15, 2015 at 15:53
Me have gas problems too. No clicking sound but gas smell is apparent.

Damned baked beans!!
AnswerID: 545973

Sponsored Links