Hema HN6 Hardwired

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 15, 2015 at 16:57
ThreadID: 111124 Views:3323 Replies:3 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
I am curious as to why I could not get my HN6 Hema Navigator to charge when I hardwired it. I also hardwired a Polaris Heads Up Display at the same time. I could get neither to charge.

I soldered the plugs back on and all is working as before I started the exercise. I concluded that there must be something in the plug that does not allow this ?

There is a hardwire kit available for the Polaris but not the Hema apart from warnings not too. I checked and re checked my wiring earths etc so I am interested as whether you have been able to hardwire your Hema

Thanks Peter
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Sunday, Feb 15, 2015 at 17:47

Sunday, Feb 15, 2015 at 17:47
Yes Peter, I found it necessary to hardwire my Hema after the socket connection failed. I soldered the 5V cable directly to the circuit board. The device continued to work OK but of course without the mini USB socket there was no way to connect to a data source for upgrades etc.

Although it is still in the car, I no longer use it in favour of a Samsung tablet and EOTopo.

As neither the Hema nor the Polaris worked after your hardwiring I can only expect that you got something wrong...... voltage or polarity perhaps? The "plug" you refer to may contain a 5V regulator.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 545980

Follow Up By: JohnnyC - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2015 at 15:31

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2015 at 15:31
Hi Allan,
I have an original Hema HN1 navigator and want to replace it with a Samsung tablet, You said you are running EOTopo on yours, is that with Oziexplorer?
Do you know if it will also run Natmap maps and Hema maps.
Which tablet do you recommend, and any traps to watch for, I would like about 8" screen.
regards,
JohnnyC
FollowupID: 833839

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2015 at 16:17

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2015 at 16:17
Hi Johnny,
Yes, I am running EOTopo with OziExplorer on my Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 tablet.
I can also run my collection of Hema digital maps on this tablet but I am not knowledgable regarding others or limitations. There are some on this Forum who certainly could answer those and other questions.

This link to EOTopo may be useful to you.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 833845

Reply By: TomH - Sunday, Feb 15, 2015 at 18:35

Sunday, Feb 15, 2015 at 18:35
Yep common mistake cut the plug off wire into 12 v blow the board and then find the ciggy plug is a 5v stepdown.

Most GPS and tablets work off 5 v as thats what USB gives you.

Only way to find out is get another standard cord and see if they still work

Maybe you are lucky and it has an overvoltage cutout in it.

I have a Polaris HUD and I wired a ciggy socket to a spare fuse and powered it off that and had no trouble. Hate cutting plugs off anything.
AnswerID: 545983

Follow Up By: TomH - Sunday, Feb 15, 2015 at 18:38

Sunday, Feb 15, 2015 at 18:38
The HUD doesnt charge anyway it only has ACC power for when car is running Says so on the box
FollowupID: 833652

Follow Up By: Member - kwk56pt - Sunday, Feb 15, 2015 at 19:33

Sunday, Feb 15, 2015 at 19:33
Seems I have been lucky, everything worked after I soldered the plugs back on. I checked the polarity with the cut off plug when it was plugged in to make sure I wired it correctly.
I notice the Polaris hard wire kit has a small box in the positive so maybe it does step down. The reverse camera I am installing has a similar small box in the harness, had assumed it was just a fuse but it seems its probably more.
A lot of wasted time lesson is buy the manufacturers hard wire kit if they have one. Just trying to eliminate the cables on the dash.
I appreciate the input given.

Cheers Peter
FollowupID: 833656

Follow Up By: TomH - Sunday, Feb 15, 2015 at 21:49

Sunday, Feb 15, 2015 at 21:49
Would be sensible to look at the specs in a brochure as it usually tells you the voltage it works on. Lesson is to find out first before rushing in and making a fatal mistake.

Learned that 40 years ago when I metered the wrong thing in an expensive stereo and it cost me more than it was worth to fix what I shorted in it.
Usually the ciggy plug has the in and out voltage stamped on it. If its a stepdown it will and if its just 12 v it usually doesnt.

Do it with all of them as the cameras dont like too much voltage.

Mine was a 12v one but ran hot so built a little stepdown from Jaycar and ran it on 8V and it ran cool.
FollowupID: 833673

Reply By: Member - Rob D (NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2015 at 15:51

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2015 at 15:51
The plug in the HN6 converts the 12V input to 5V.

I "hardwired" mine by using a 12V cigarette lighter socket which is "hardwired" and then plugged the HEMA into that.

If you relax at a faster pace you can get more relaxation in for a given time.
Regards Rob

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 546126

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2015 at 16:03

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2015 at 16:03
I went one step further Rob. I made up a 5V, 6Amp regulator which I hard-wired to several 5V devices, dispensing with cigar lighter sockets altogether. I have the resources to do such but your method is otherwise good.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 833843

Follow Up By: TomH - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2015 at 17:00

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2015 at 17:00
Yep that way you can take it with you when needed in another vehicle Cut the end off and unless you have a spare cord you are stuffed.

I have used the stepdown power supply kit from DS to make a rear view camera run cooler with slightly lower voltage . I have used the ciggy sockets wired into a spare fuse to run two dashcams. 5 minutes and its all gone when you change the vehicle.
Also made up a longer cable to take dash camera on holiday overseas to use in the rental cars.
FollowupID: 833849

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2015 at 17:18

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2015 at 17:18
Tom, Once you get a Troopy you never "change the vehicle". LOL

But I am not promoting my unique setup methods, simply imparting them.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 833851

Follow Up By: TomH - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2015 at 19:04

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2015 at 19:04
Had a 100ser. Like a bit of comfort LOL

Now run a pair of VW's.

Gave up the nomadic life.

I think in my box of cords and patch cables and adapters I have every combination known to man except the one I need when Im looking for it ROFL
FollowupID: 833863

Sponsored Links