James (Jim) Knight plane crash desert 1962.

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 15, 2015 at 17:09
ThreadID: 111125 Views:3618 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
After info about Jim Knight who was lost flying a whackett trainer plane 276 nm north of Ceduna. His plan had been to fly home from the east and from Ceduna was to fly north till the rail line then head west. Some how he missed the trans rail line and ended up 276 nm north in the desert where the plane was eventually found three years later in 1965. His body was never found and a relation of his is planning a trip to look for him this year.
Cheers Graeme.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Sunday, Feb 15, 2015 at 18:33

Sunday, Feb 15, 2015 at 18:33
If you Google Jim Knight Wackett you will get a number of hits. Note the correct spelling of Wackett.

Google Jim Knight Wackett
AnswerID: 545982

Reply By: Member - Graeme W (NSW) - Sunday, Feb 15, 2015 at 19:47

Sunday, Feb 15, 2015 at 19:47
The aircraft itself is in the Alice Springs aviation museum. I remember there being maps of planned flight versus actual flight and some info about the search. I doubt it's info that's not readily available elsewhere.

Graeme
Lake Eyre 2011

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 545989

Follow Up By: Member - graeme W (WA) - Sunday, Feb 15, 2015 at 22:00

Sunday, Feb 15, 2015 at 22:00
Hi Guys. Thanks for the replies. We know most of the stuff, Frank the guy going on the trek was hoping some one may have been out there. Jim was flying from the front of the two seater and the story goes that some one had tied to steal the compass from there at ceduna and because it was not bolted down gave an incorrect reading which was 30 degrees out. He noticed the two compasses were different after landing and wrote as much as a record.
Cheers Graeme.
FollowupID: 833675

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Feb 16, 2015 at 14:27

Monday, Feb 16, 2015 at 14:27
Hi Graeme

I have to make a phone call at 7.30pm tonight to one of my very reliable contacts in Ceduna. What he does not know on the local history is not worth knowing at all.

I just spoke with his wife and Margaret she said that Murray will go through all his files and see what he can did up.

Keep fingers crossed and will find out hopefully more tonight.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 546020

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2015 at 09:07

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2015 at 09:07
Graeme

Send me a MM and will give you Murray's phone number.

He has a lot of information and knows someone that spend time at the crash site. He did say that it will be a hopeless situation in the hope that they will find any human remains, as over 50 years in the harsh outback will have destroyed all hopes of finding anything. Murray also said that it is very hard country at the crash site and unless the people are very experienced, remote desert travellers, they too could become victims of very hard country.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 833757

Sponsored Links