Leyland Brothers Documentary

Submitted: Monday, Feb 16, 2015 at 19:35
ThreadID: 111137 Views:3428 Replies:7 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
On the ABC 'Australian Story' tonight 8.00pm.

>>>>>>>>> THE LEYLAND BROTHERS <<<<<<<<<<<<

For those of us who can remember.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 3 Moderator

Reply By: pop2jocem - Monday, Feb 16, 2015 at 20:56

Monday, Feb 16, 2015 at 20:56
Yep, I'm definitely gonna be watching that.

I have the 2 disc set that shows the first real west east trip across the continent and the second that has the re- enactment, done around 2005 (or thereabouts) just before Mike Leyland unfortunately fell victim to Parkinson's.

What a pity the failure of their theme park caused the brothers acrimonious split.

A question I asked on that "other forum", the long wheel base Landy that was used on that epic crossing was donated to the museum in SA by Mike Leyland.

Does anyone know what happened to the SWB one that was also used???

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 546051

Follow Up By: mike39 - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2015 at 07:55

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2015 at 07:55
For a précis of their E/W Simpson crossing the following site provides a little more inside insight!

www.simpsondesert.fl.net.au/sponsors/

mike
FollowupID: 833753

Reply By: Robin Miller - Monday, Feb 16, 2015 at 20:56

Monday, Feb 16, 2015 at 20:56
Was an interesting story Alan, I wish it went a bit longer and explored more of their issues.

I only used to catch the odd story on TV and my memory of it that it was ok but a bit tame.

As we look back it now seems more adventurous and makes you think a bit.

I remember seeing the rain cascading down Ayres rock and paying about 5 secs attention to it and in to-nights story they said its very unique and only 1 in 100,000 see it.

I guess sometimes we don't appreciate these things except in hindsight.

Its a reason why I try to always document our trips.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 546052

Follow Up By: Member - Murray R (VIC) - Monday, Feb 16, 2015 at 21:23

Monday, Feb 16, 2015 at 21:23
Hi Robin
You are right about seeing things in hindsight, we have seen a few things in our travels that have been one offs and thought nothing of it at the time.

Murray
Another Mexican

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 833731

Follow Up By: Member - Howard (ACT) - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2015 at 12:25

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2015 at 12:25
I remember one of my cousins talking about a trip to ayres rock in the late 60's while on uni holidays from melbourne
they drove their 2 wd vehicle right up to the rock and camped there high point of their trip was showering under the water cascading down the side of the rock during a rain storm .
would have been an experience and definitely one not achievable in todays political correct enviroment.
cheers
howard
Resigned to Retirement

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 833771

Reply By: Member - Murray R (VIC) - Monday, Feb 16, 2015 at 21:12

Monday, Feb 16, 2015 at 21:12
Alllan
Some good menories there and some amazing footage. Pitty their theme park venture went bad and got bad press over it. Was sad that they had a falling out and not spoken to each other for years before Mikes passing. Mal seems to be on the right track now and we wish him luck.

Cheers Murray
Another Mexican

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 546054

Follow Up By: mike39 - Monday, Feb 16, 2015 at 21:43

Monday, Feb 16, 2015 at 21:43
It was an interesting show but it may have been more informative had their lifestyle post the theme park venture been explored.

No doubt they were great adventurers and pioneers in the outback filming of Australia, our kids thrived on the episodes.

Unfortunately, Mal and Larain came to Glen Innes with a "don't you know who I am" attitude which was very sad and didn't help their B&B and other ventures.

I do hope they find that Maleny is their place for peace and future happiness.
mike
FollowupID: 833734

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Monday, Feb 16, 2015 at 22:11

Monday, Feb 16, 2015 at 22:11
Mike,

If you don't mind me asking, When you mention "Maleny is their place for peace and future happiness", do you mean the Maleny Qld, just up the road from Landsborough?

The reason I ask is that during our recent 6 month "lap of the block" we stayed in the caravan park in Landsborough while I was getting an upgrade to the van's GTM done and did a tour of Maleny and Montville. Fascinating places.

Cheers
Pop

FollowupID: 833737

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Monday, Feb 16, 2015 at 23:37

Monday, Feb 16, 2015 at 23:37
Yes Pop, Mal and Larain are living in Maleny Qld in the Blackall Ranges, above Landsborough. A very pleasant and 'somewhat different' township.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 833741

Reply By: Warren B - Monday, Feb 16, 2015 at 21:15

Monday, Feb 16, 2015 at 21:15
Thanks for posting that allan, it answered a few questions.
Those two buggers have cost me thousands and thousands over the years, 14 4wd's off road campers and vans, more must have camping equiptment than you can poke a stick at. and an itch I cannot scratch. mental note to self must patch things up with brother

Might put the east west DVD on before going to bed.

Warren
AnswerID: 546055

Follow Up By: Derek Jones - Monday, Feb 16, 2015 at 23:51

Monday, Feb 16, 2015 at 23:51
In the USA you would be able to take them to court for causing financial and emotional distress.

Just don't mention the good memories when mounting your case:)
FollowupID: 833742

Follow Up By: Warren B - Wednesday, Feb 18, 2015 at 19:29

Wednesday, Feb 18, 2015 at 19:29
Good idea derek but they broke so point there, and besides when the judge asks me have I suffered I wouldn't be able to keep a straight face. Bloody itch doesn't go away or diminish with time in fact it get worse.
FollowupID: 833867

Reply By: ChrisK - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2015 at 08:40

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2015 at 08:40
Their show may have been a bit more amateurish by today's standards but I much prefer them and others of their time to the advertorials rubbish that is dished up to us these days....
Loved the show last night..
AnswerID: 546072

Reply By: Ron N - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2015 at 12:48

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2015 at 12:48
The show certainly provided an interesting insight into their lives.

With advancing years, one understands that many people share a similar life path, full of major highs and lows, and people who often reach great heights, often reach great lows as well.

It's worse when the low point is in old age, when one isn't as physically fit any more.

I have plenty of friends who have done the same, and my life hasn't been much different.
I wish Mal and Larain enjoyment of the simple life and happy memories in their old age.
At the end of the day, large amounts of money isn't everything - although it certainly makes life easier.
Family splits are inevitable as aims and personalities change, and as families develop with increased numbers.
Poor business decisions within families are often the result of inadequate outside consultation. The family members always think they know best.

I had a split with my brother over our 30 yr large business failure (due to bank bastardry), and it changed the dynamics of our relationship forever.
We still talk occasionally, but the relationship will never be the same because of the way he treated me when the chips were down.
I was essentially turfed out into the street with just the shirt on my back, when we had to sell everything for nothing, and it made me realise he had used me so much during my earlier life in partnership with him.
The drive for great wealth is so often put in front of those more important things in life - good health, good friends, and supportive family.

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 546076

Reply By: Bazooka - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2015 at 22:06

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2015 at 22:06
Legends of the small screen and bush travel.
AnswerID: 546099

Sponsored Links