wind up jack stands for ute canopy

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 19, 2015 at 22:32
ThreadID: 111173 Views:14359 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I'm in the process of designing a canopy for the ute tray and am working on a system to remove the canopy from the ute when not in use. The canopy shell will weigh approx 300kg total and the floor will only have moderate re-enforcing so will be lifted off "empty". I was hoping to use wind up legs as pictured in the link below but was hoping to find legs with a wheel instead of a foot so the canopy can be wheeled around the carport.

http://caravansplus.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=12873

I know there are cheaper deals than the one in this link but this was just a good example image.

Has any one come across a wind leg with wheel rather than a foot plate and where might I get one? Thanks in advance.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mick O - Thursday, Feb 19, 2015 at 22:46

Thursday, Feb 19, 2015 at 22:46
I use a similar product for my ute canopy but am unsure of the price. They are heavy. I've had the handles cut off and welded a 1/4" socket fixture. This stream lines them somewhat. Casters you may have to source and fit yourself.

Mine were sourced through Marco at Allform engineering in Morwell. I'm not aware of the price and it is some four years ago. Give him a ring and I'm sure he will steer you in the right direction. Contact numbers in link below.

You will need to ensure that you have a double fixing point on the canopy and that they are very well reinforced, particularly if using Aluminium.

Building the dream off-roader

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 546213

Reply By: Batt's - Friday, Feb 20, 2015 at 00:05

Friday, Feb 20, 2015 at 00:05
They look ok .I'm going to do mine the lazy way later on replace the rear coils with air bags attach legs to canopy then lower it and drive away I saw a video once with a fellow demonstrating it and that convinced me it was what I needed.
AnswerID: 546219

Reply By: Member - Tony H (touring oz) - Friday, Feb 20, 2015 at 01:04

Friday, Feb 20, 2015 at 01:04
Hi Dermie,
If your ute has a tray & not a tub & your designing/building it yourself. Consider something like this a lot cheaper & very easy to use, slip the pipe in, slide the A frames onto the pipe & then drive off, to to refit simply reverse back on to it... then secure to tray.
Look at these links you should get the idea......
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/warragul/heavy-farming-agriculture-equipment/cattle-crate/1070181320
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/warragul/heavy-farming-agriculture-equipment/cattle-stock-crate/1070871091
Insanity doesnt run in my family.... it gallops!

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 546225

Follow Up By: member - mazcan - Friday, Feb 20, 2015 at 21:57

Friday, Feb 20, 2015 at 21:57
hi
they are called hobb hoists
FollowupID: 834013

Reply By: alhow - Friday, Feb 20, 2015 at 08:19

Friday, Feb 20, 2015 at 08:19
I paid $99 each for mine with the foot from Wang Bearings. Try trailer makers and bearing services.

I also removed the crank and welded on 19mm nuts. I also welded a socket to a crank handle in case of a flat battery with the drill.
AnswerID: 546236

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Friday, Feb 20, 2015 at 15:54

Friday, Feb 20, 2015 at 15:54
Dermie,

Bloke that made our canopy supplied a set of 4 "homemade" legs, as part of the initial cost.

If you want wheels, then go to Bunnings. They have castor wheels in various sizes, and am sure you'd get a set to match weight of your camper. You just need to bolt the c/wheels to the base plate, and all good.

FYI, the floor of our camper sits on about 5 of 75 x 50mm RHS, and this keeps the floor rigid, as well as giving an air space above the tray. Could post some photos if you're interested?

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 546267

Reply By: dermie66 - Saturday, Feb 21, 2015 at 09:42

Saturday, Feb 21, 2015 at 09:42
Thanks very much for all the replies and suggestions, much food for thought.

Many have previously told once you put the canopy on you'll get sick of taking it on and off, I don't plan to be taking it on and off when touring, in fact I wasn't even planning to take the legs. But I do need my tray space for day-to-day stuff when at home. Problem is I no longer have access to a work shop or any sort of lifting gear that was part of my original planning.

The $1000 price tag to jack it off always concerned me too so thanks again for your input. I'll post to the forum whatever the final product is.
AnswerID: 546298

Follow Up By: Member - johnat - Saturday, Feb 21, 2015 at 17:19

Saturday, Feb 21, 2015 at 17:19
Went down that track earlier, and came to the conclusion that it was more effective to use a chain block, attached to the garage roof truss. It only needs to be used to put the "pod" on when we want to go away, and remove it for storage (on a bank of old tyres) when we return.
We also need to use the tray of the ute for other stuff during the workaday, so the work involved in getting the thing on/off is no biggie!
FollowupID: 834071

Sponsored Links