A bouquet for MSA

Submitted: Friday, Feb 20, 2015 at 14:35
ThreadID: 111181 Views:1818 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
We have an MSA fridge drop slide which, while expensive has been an excellent product and worth the money.

It has been in use for well over 2 years and supported our fridge over some seriously rough and corrugated roads.

Recently the locking tongue behind the key lock broke so I rang about purchasing a spare part.

Not a problem they say, and by the way, be sure to actually key lock the tab whilst in transit (something we've never done which I admitted).

No worries they say, we'll send you another complete lock mechanism gratis. It duly arrived within 24 hours, but I can't for the life of me locate the original key.

Another phone call and they're happily posting off another key (all their locks are keyed alike).

It's refreshing to receive such excellent service and worth sharing with our community.
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: MarkHugh - Friday, Feb 20, 2015 at 14:56

Friday, Feb 20, 2015 at 14:56
Nice to hear positives...

Mark
AnswerID: 546264

Reply By: The Landy - Friday, Feb 20, 2015 at 15:13

Friday, Feb 20, 2015 at 15:13
Hey Rosco

I had a warranty issue and no problems whatsoever. Interesting about the keylock, we never lock it, and in fact not even sure I know where the key is.

I had thoughts of locking the fridge and not being able to access the beer!

Cheers, Baz
AnswerID: 546265

Follow Up By: Member - Rosco from way back - Friday, Feb 20, 2015 at 15:23

Friday, Feb 20, 2015 at 15:23
I must admit Baz. It would be panic stations if I lost the key and the beer was securely encased behind the lock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
FollowupID: 834002

Reply By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Friday, Feb 20, 2015 at 15:48

Friday, Feb 20, 2015 at 15:48
Rosco, agree the drop slide is a great pice of kit, except ............ those key locks are a P.O.S. - too lightly made. One of my friends has had 2 go to lunch, I've already destroyed two ..... in the end we've put spring bolts down to hold it ... works a treat.

Good on 'em for replacing it, however I suspect you're going to run into the same probelm again....
AnswerID: 546266

Follow Up By: Member - Rosco from way back - Friday, Feb 20, 2015 at 16:17

Friday, Feb 20, 2015 at 16:17
Mate

I'll take your suggestion on board for future reference. Certainly sounds like a good solution.
FollowupID: 834005

Follow Up By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Friday, Feb 20, 2015 at 17:28

Friday, Feb 20, 2015 at 17:28
Rosco, the issue is the toungue and sliders are anchored to a piece of plastic that in it's own is anchored to the tray front via a nut and washer. All the lateral and transverse tension is focussed on that one bit of plastic. Add the steel tray, fridge, and contents and you've got a lot of stress and weight on that one bit.

As long as you steer clear of rough stuff, it will probably last .... however given the rest of the unit is built to take a fair pounding (and that sucker weighs a ton), too much corrugations and rough stuff . snap !
FollowupID: 834006

Reply By: Member - Norm & Lisa - Saturday, Feb 21, 2015 at 09:43

Saturday, Feb 21, 2015 at 09:43
Have had similar experiences with my MSA drop slide. First was when one of the nuts came loose and was lost. Dropped in to see them at a show and they gave me a couple of nuts no problems. Second was in Broome and broke one of the struts (don't ask). Went to ARB who rang MSA and a new one was sent up pronto and no charge. Mind you the struts are a pain to fit. BTW have never locked mine. Now to find the key.
Everyday is a holiday
Norm & Lisa

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 546299

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Feb 21, 2015 at 10:32

Saturday, Feb 21, 2015 at 10:32
Rosco,

Bit OT, but this talk of locks, missing keys and secured beer, got me thinking.

Just checked the keys to 2 items I have, one bought in the Isa in 2003, and the other bought on the coast, in 2013. Both items are keyed alike, CH510, so one wonders just how secure are some these "locked" accessories we have on our vehicles?

Might have to padlock the fridge in future? :-)

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 546308

Follow Up By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Saturday, Feb 21, 2015 at 13:21

Saturday, Feb 21, 2015 at 13:21
Frankly I never saw the point of the lock on the drop slide unless it's necessary to stop the mechanism and sliders from work loose under travel (which I suspect it is..). In which case a non keyed latch lock would have done the same thing.

Security is a moot point on these things as it's either inside a canopy or car and won't stop your fridge being nicked anyhow...
FollowupID: 834047

Sponsored Links