EOTopo 2015 with Galaxy Tab3 & OziExplorer

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 21, 2015 at 00:33
ThreadID: 111186 Views:2533 Replies:4 FollowUps:14
This Thread has been Archived
Please advise which product to purchase.
I have OxiExplorer on PC. I've have a Galaxy3 Tab Lite which has micro SD (I would only use the Tab for EOTopo). I have fast, unlimited internet for downloads.
1. Am I best with 'Download' or 'SD/USB' purchase for the Galaxy Tab?
2. If I decide to use my iPad via Memory Map app, can you confirm I should purchase 'Download'?
3. Is there any option that will give me the flexibility to use EOTopo on both Galaxy Tab AND iPad?
Thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Boobook2 - Saturday, Feb 21, 2015 at 06:23

Saturday, Feb 21, 2015 at 06:23
If you already have Ozi on your PC and a bunch of maps then Ozi is possibably the go. If it were me, I would download the map. You get it right away and you can make a copy anyway.

Memory Map has the advantage that it will run on the IPAD, Android and PC. It also has an excellent free 250K topo map. ( I think it is the best map of that type ). However, it won't display your existing Ozi maps. It is free on the PC and Android and about $1 on Ithings. However you can buy a program called mapc2mapc than will convert ozi maps ( inc ozi2 but not 3) to Geotiff for importing to Memory Map.

IMHO Memory Map is a lot better than Ozi on the Pc because it is a ton easier to use.

AnswerID: 546285

Follow Up By: Member - Tony F8 - Sunday, Feb 22, 2015 at 09:37

Sunday, Feb 22, 2015 at 09:37
2x memory map, I run it on a samsung note 10.1 and it works a treat, as long as you download the required maps while you have internet connection.
FollowupID: 834094

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Monday, Feb 23, 2015 at 11:52

Monday, Feb 23, 2015 at 11:52
Due to the restrictions with the iPad you only have 1 option to use EOTopo on it - by using the Memory-Map app. Memory-Map is a free app available for both Android and iOs devices so you can download the app from the iStore and Google Play and there is a PC version too. So get the app first onto each device you wish to use - using the same account. Then from within that app, you can download (purchase) the EOTopo maps once, and pay for it from within the app. Then no matter what device you're using you'll be able to access your EOTopo maps that you've purchased through the app using your same account.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 546439

Follow Up By: cruiser80 - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2015 at 14:19

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2015 at 14:19
Hi Michelle, if the EOTopo comes in ECW format then you should also be able to use Twonav on the ipad.
I have an Ipad and use twonav with all topo maps, natmap 250k, hema maps and scanned paper maps without any issues at all.

Brett
FollowupID: 834219

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2015 at 17:17

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2015 at 17:17
Yes EOTopo files do come in ECW format. I have had no experience with Twonav so cannot comment. Have you tested EOTopo on it? If you're interested you could pick one of the free EOTopo ECW files available from the download page?
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 834234

Follow Up By: cruiser80 - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2015 at 21:24

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2015 at 21:24
Hi Michelle,
I downloaded the 3 free maps and converted them to the twonav format. Uploaded to the ipad and they worked perfectly. Downloaded and on to ipad in 10-15min.

My only concern with memorymap is there hasn't been an update to the app itself since Feb 2013. I bought memorymap ages ago but don't us it as you need to buy a license to import your own maps and it very limited in what you can do with it in regard to info on screen.

2.5m map
[img]
[/img]

5m map
[img]
[/img]

List of maps
[img]
[/img]
FollowupID: 834249

Follow Up By: TheSerenity - Friday, Feb 27, 2015 at 00:47

Friday, Feb 27, 2015 at 00:47
Hi Michelle. Thank-you for replying. I have travelled a lot but I'm IT incapacitated so I appreciate your advice which I'll apply. After I've done it will I also be able to use the EOTopo maps on my PC and Galaxy3 using OziExplorer (that I have a license for)? Thank-you!
FollowupID: 834423

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Saturday, Mar 07, 2015 at 06:19

Saturday, Mar 07, 2015 at 06:19
Hello

Re TwoNav: The iPad and Android versions of this program can not use ECW format images, only the PC, Aventura, Sportiva (and other handheld GPS unit) versions can.

For Apple/Android you must convert them to RMAP format using CompeGPS Land (a program from the same people that make TwoNav). Not 100% sure but think the free version does the conversion ...check out TowNav Website otherwise you may need to pay or seek out a friend who can do conversion for you.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 834937

Reply By: terryt - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2015 at 13:25

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2015 at 13:25
As far as I know the tab 3 Lite doesn't have a GPS function. It won't work out of phone and/or internet range.
AnswerID: 546487

Follow Up By: get outmore - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2015 at 15:16

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2015 at 15:16
A 10 second google of its specs shows it does..
FollowupID: 834224

Follow Up By: terryt - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2015 at 15:54

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2015 at 15:54
My Bad. I am an idiot
FollowupID: 834228

Reply By: TheSerenity - Thursday, Mar 05, 2015 at 18:27

Thursday, Mar 05, 2015 at 18:27
Hi Michelle. Thank-you for replying. I have travelled a lot but I'm IT incapacitated so I appreciate your advice which I'll apply. Two further questions:

1. Should I purchase the App on the Android or iPad first? Does it matter?

2.After I've done it will I also be able to use the EOTopo maps on my PC and Galaxy3 using OziExplorer (that I have a license for)?

Thank-you!
AnswerID: 549467

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Saturday, Mar 07, 2015 at 06:37

Saturday, Mar 07, 2015 at 06:37
Hello

Butting in...

1: What "App" are you referring to?. Sounds like you have all the "Apps" e.g. Memory Map, Ozi and Two Nav.EOTopo is not an app, it is just map images (in various formats) for use within various "Apps". Suggest you download the image format (eg ECW, OZF, Memory Map) of the map that will suit your preferred app/apps.

2. All versions (PC, Android, CE) of Oziexplorer can utilise ECW and OZF so if Ozi is your preferred program go for one of these. ECW works with many other programs so this maybe a better choice for some especially if you dont want multiple copies of the same map in different formats taking space up on your PC/device.

If you use Ozi exclusively OZF is possibly the best choice especially if using smartphones/tablets/CE device as they are not as good at handling ECW files as PC version. ECW maybe better however if you anticipate the need to use/convert the map images for use in other GPS mapping programs as OZF4 is a "locked" image format. It is possible to convert ECW to other image formats ..but not OZF4 (AFAIK).

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 834938

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Monday, Mar 09, 2015 at 12:29

Monday, Mar 09, 2015 at 12:29
Sorry Serenity, I simply did see your question until now but I see that Greg has replied. If you need more info just give our office a call and Adele will talk you through it. (08) 9467 9667.
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 835060

Follow Up By: TheSerenity - Monday, Mar 09, 2015 at 20:00

Monday, Mar 09, 2015 at 20:00
Thanks Greg, I'm hopeless with IT but trying to learn. I'll give the EO office a call, but before I do perhaps you could cast an eye over this:

I have an existing lisence for OxiExplorer on PC. I've just bought a Galaxy3 Tab Lite which has micro SD - and will use this device solely to use EOTopo (I've no other purpose for it as I use Apple devices for everything else). I have fast, unlimited internet for downloads.

1. I'd like the flexibility to use OziExplorer on the Galaxy3 AND my Memory Map app on my iPad (not purchased yet). To achieve this flexibility to use iOS and Macintosh can you confirm I should purchase 'Download'? Michelle wrote that I should buy the Memory Map App and then purchase EOTopo from within the App. I wanted to know if it matters which store I purchase the maps from - AppleStore or Microsoft App store?

2. Am I best with 'Download' or buy the 'SD/USB' package for the Galaxy Tab?

3. Am I correct thinking that I need to buy 'OziExplorer for Android' rather that Ozi 'CE' for the Galaxy3?

Thanks.

PS. I do solo outback travel so I want both iOS and Microsoft products for flexibility and redundancy.
FollowupID: 835090

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Monday, Mar 09, 2015 at 21:07

Monday, Mar 09, 2015 at 21:07
Hello

No expert but a quick read of info from the EoTopo section for the ExplorOz website provides some good info ...

First have a read of this -Memory-Map_Getting+started+with+Packaged+Downloads
which suggests getting the Memory Map app from the app store but then obtaining maps direct from the Memory Map website is best option...

This article states "Getting your maps “out-app” from the Memory-Map web site is more flexible and better value", "Maps purchased from the apple store cannot be used or shared with/on a PC or Android and cost a little more."

Also before actually buying any maps you can download theEOTopo Starter Pack for free! - not sure but think it runs for 1 day ...just so you can see what you are paying for.

For the Galaxy Tab you can also use Memory Map ..and the same maps you purchased for the Ipad (I think). If you choose to use Ozi on the Android you will need to purchase a separate set of maps - doesn't really matter what method you use to get the maps (download or SD/USB)..whatever suits you best.

Yes - Ozi Android required for Galaxy.

Hope I got all this right and it helps

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 835096

Follow Up By: TheSerenity - Monday, Mar 09, 2015 at 21:27

Monday, Mar 09, 2015 at 21:27
Thanks Greg. That helps. There are too many blooming' options but I'll get there in the end.

PS. Like exploring. Maybe you know of Jon Muir? He's done amazing stuff incl. walking unassisted from south to north across Aus. This year he's doing a leisurely 700km wander through the W.A deserts! If interested in the details look at the Kickstarter website
FollowupID: 835098

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Monday, Mar 09, 2015 at 21:44

Monday, Mar 09, 2015 at 21:44
Yes - it is indeed confusing these days....so many hardware options and corresponding software ("apps") combined with different map image formats. Thought I as on top of it a few years ago but dont have time to keep up these days.

RE Jon Muir! way out of my league - I get puffed walking up the driveway but try the best I can . Just got back for Chile, amazing walks there - doing it while you can - and no need for a 4WD :)

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 835101

Sponsored Links