Plugged tyres

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 21, 2015 at 08:26
ThreadID: 111191 Views:3870 Replies:15 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
How permanent do you make plugged tyres.

I have collected quite a collection of plugged tyres.(I'm starting to get good at it)

Do you use plugs as very temporary repair and replace tyres when you get home?

Some are getting old now. If I dropped a tyre into a tyre place for repair wouldn't they just use plug for a nail or screw?

Thanks

Alan
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: den57 - Saturday, Feb 21, 2015 at 09:06

Saturday, Feb 21, 2015 at 09:06
Yes, that is exactly what happened to us in Cairns. Was a screw in the tyre so I had read where plugs are supposed to be a temporary fix. Paid the $20 and got home and found the tyre plugged.
Could have done that myself for 50 cents.
Den
AnswerID: 546293

Follow Up By: baznpud (tassie) - Saturday, Feb 21, 2015 at 09:22

Saturday, Feb 21, 2015 at 09:22
Agree with above, had a screw in a tyre in another vehicle, took it to a tyre place, they now remove the tyre and plug from the inside, then remove the tail that is sticking out.
baz
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 834022

Follow Up By: BunderDog - Saturday, Feb 21, 2015 at 09:28

Saturday, Feb 21, 2015 at 09:28
Our local tyre shop will not use the string type on road going tyres they only use the vulcanized mushroom ones due to liability.
FollowupID: 834023

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Sunday, Feb 22, 2015 at 09:40

Sunday, Feb 22, 2015 at 09:40
Bunderdog is correct.

Only the mushroom type plugs that tyre dealers use are considered permanent. They are inserted from the inside and the large internal base is glued to the inside of the tyre.

However, if I stake a tyre and repair it with the rope style plug, I don't chuck the tyre if it still has a useful tread life.
A dealer may be able to replace the rope style plug with the mushroom style if required, otherwise just leave the rope style plug in place.
If the air is not leaking, the seal is sound.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 834095

Reply By: Jackolux - Saturday, Feb 21, 2015 at 09:25

Saturday, Feb 21, 2015 at 09:25
There is more than one type of plug , I believe mushroom plugs inserted from inside the tyre a permanent fix ,
AnswerID: 546295

Follow Up By: cruiser 3 - Saturday, Feb 21, 2015 at 10:06

Saturday, Feb 21, 2015 at 10:06
I agree that plugging from inside is the correct way however I had a screw go in a brand new tyre and plugged it from the outside and it remained sound for the life of the tyre (about 90,000kms)
FollowupID: 834027

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Feb 21, 2015 at 10:04

Saturday, Feb 21, 2015 at 10:04
Alan,

Agree with other comments about mushroom plugs. Might look like an ordinary plug from outside, but a lot safer on the inside.

Those string plugs are quite good, but no doubt are frowned upon because if they are not installed to the correct depth, then they could fall out, deflating the tyre again, and perhaps causing an accident?

The Safety Seal kits allow you to insert the plugs to correct depth, and no further. Have used them in everything from Falcon sedan to a Cat grader(about 6 plugs for that repair!) and they've all done what's required.

When I took the above Falcon tyre to tyre fitters, they put a patch on inside, after trimming the plug........done plenty of clicks since with no drama.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 546302

Reply By: 671 - Saturday, Feb 21, 2015 at 10:27

Saturday, Feb 21, 2015 at 10:27
Alan

All the externally applied plugs that I have seen so far have been marked temporary only. They work if the hole suits them but more often than not in the bush the holes are too big.

Have a look at the tyre repair equipment on Rema Tip Top's website and you won't believe what is available. There are all kinds of temporary and permanent plugs plus reinforced patches for tread, shoulder and side wall repairs.

There is a lot more information here on bush repairs
http://www.beadelltours.com.au/rim_debate.html#8
AnswerID: 546307

Reply By: Angryz - Saturday, Feb 21, 2015 at 10:51

Saturday, Feb 21, 2015 at 10:51
Externally fitted plugs are for temporary repair only, they actually are not for road use & do make your vehicle unroadworthy. Once home you should have external plugs replaced with the internal patch plug type.
AnswerID: 546313

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Saturday, Feb 21, 2015 at 22:06

Saturday, Feb 21, 2015 at 22:06
While that may be the legal situation Angry - they are a temporary fix, but will probably outlast the tyre. Some years ago our son got a stone puncture on the Gibb River Road. The gash (NOT sidewall) took four plugs in a line. He showed me 12 months later :O when we were leaving for the GRR.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 834078

Reply By: Idler Chris - Vic - Saturday, Feb 21, 2015 at 10:57

Saturday, Feb 21, 2015 at 10:57
Holes created by nails and screws can usually be repaired by a string plug from the outside particularly if it is in the tread, and these can last the life of the tyre. String plugs are considered as a temporary repair only and there is some risk if you continue to use the tyre. If you have a TPMS then you greatly reduce this risk.
It so happens that I am writing a blog on this subject which I will finish in the next couple of hours, I will post a link when I do.
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 546314

Follow Up By: BunderDog - Saturday, Feb 21, 2015 at 11:37

Saturday, Feb 21, 2015 at 11:37
Your post doesn't make sense one place you say string plugs are Ok and in the next sentence you say they are a temporary fix.
FollowupID: 834037

Follow Up By: garrycol - Saturday, Feb 21, 2015 at 12:59

Saturday, Feb 21, 2015 at 12:59
They are marked as a temporary fix but in many cases like many temporary fixes they can last for the life of the tyre, but then they may not last.

As mentioned - they should be replaced as soon as possible with the correct internal mushroom style plugs but if not there is a chance the string style of plug could fail.
FollowupID: 834046

Reply By: Sigmund - Saturday, Feb 21, 2015 at 12:32

Saturday, Feb 21, 2015 at 12:32
If memory serves (and increasingly it doesn't!) in Vic you can only legally have one plug.

As for the string types, provided they're properly fitted they're quite durable.
AnswerID: 546321

Reply By: Troopyman - Saturday, Feb 21, 2015 at 13:28

Saturday, Feb 21, 2015 at 13:28
Plugging a tyre yourself is a temporary fix .
The only plug I would keep permanently in a tyre is from the safety seal kit .
Safety seal is the only plug kit I ever use .
safety seal
AnswerID: 546326

Follow Up By: garrycol - Saturday, Feb 21, 2015 at 13:55

Saturday, Feb 21, 2015 at 13:55
That is no different to any of the brand name temporary repair kits available (I have the ARB kit). Irrespective of what Safety Seal say it is only considered a temporary repair and should be replaced with an internal mushroom seal at the earliest opportunity.
FollowupID: 834049

Reply By: TomH - Saturday, Feb 21, 2015 at 16:42

Saturday, Feb 21, 2015 at 16:42
Dont think you can plug sidewalls. Also a few years ago retreaders wouldnt accept any tyres with plugs in them. Guess its not done so much now.
AnswerID: 546339

Reply By: swampfox - Saturday, Feb 21, 2015 at 19:57

Saturday, Feb 21, 2015 at 19:57
hi
String leather strips use to be an acceptable repair ,done right ,till around 1980 then I found mushroom plugs .
Leather plug strips are flexible and in a soft low ply count tire which has plenty of flex they can work out . In a Skid steer they are useless as they can turn on the plug .
In a car they should only be a temporary as most suggest.

Mushroom plugs r great and need to be installed with cold vulcanizing glue

swampfox
AnswerID: 546347

Reply By: 671 - Saturday, Feb 21, 2015 at 23:13

Saturday, Feb 21, 2015 at 23:13
The mushroom plugs mentioned here are very good, legal and permanent but once again the old problem of not being suitable for all holes comes up. They are restricted to tread punctures only and not shoulder or sidewall. They must also go straight through the tyre and not on an angle. They also need the correct size cutter drilled through the tyre first.

There are other things like stem plugs for angled holes. These do not have a mushroom head but I think from memory a small reinforced patch must also be used with them.

Other issues that not all that many people seem to be aware of with internally applied repairs is the need to first clean the area to be covered by the patch with a tyre mould release agent remover. After thoroughly scouring the area and applying the patch, any scoured area not covered by the patch should be sealed by painting on a inner liner sealer otherwise it can lead to a slow loss of air. The reason for this is a tyre is porous and has a very thin inner layer of rubber on the inside surface that seals it. That layer must be resealed after roughening it for the patch.

I would recommend anybody seriously interested in proper tyre repairs to go into a Rema Tip Top depot and discuss everything with the staff. These depots are usually only in capital cities but the local reps will come to your home, or meet you at a nearby tyre service, with a truck full of just about everything you could possibly want.

Another point is don't give up if a tyre service says your puncture is not repairable. Take it to a place that does major repairs and be guided by them. There are not all that many around but a quick look in the phone book and a few calls should find one. They often deal in heavy truck tyres.

Another alternative is to ring Tip Top and ask them. If there is one in your area, chances are they will be supplying them with all the equipment they need.
AnswerID: 546361

Reply By: AlbyNSW - Sunday, Feb 22, 2015 at 07:23

Sunday, Feb 22, 2015 at 07:23
In NSW string plugs are illegal for on road use
The tyre must be removed from the rim and repaired from the inside
AnswerID: 546368

Reply By: Alloy c/t - Sunday, Feb 22, 2015 at 10:41

Sunday, Feb 22, 2015 at 10:41
In Qld it is illegal for a tire repair for on road use be it string plug , internal mushroom plug or patch on a sidewall if the repair is to be 12mm or more from the tread …. all to do with liability in the event of sudden deflation…….
AnswerID: 546383

Reply By: john m85 - Sunday, Feb 22, 2015 at 20:12

Sunday, Feb 22, 2015 at 20:12
nothing wrong with string pliugs i have used them several times and 60000klm tyres are still going

cheers
john

AnswerID: 546412

Reply By: swampfox - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2015 at 11:19

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2015 at 11:19
hi
It sounds interesting that Qld bans string plugs .Mushroom plugs maybe better but. Although possible it sounds more like scare tactics from tire dealers . Never seen any paper work on this .This is what happens when u let lawyers to close to real life .
After all before mushroom plugs there was only tubes and sting plugs anyway

swampfox
AnswerID: 546484

Sponsored Links