Kalumburu camping option

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 09, 2004 at 14:18
ThreadID: 11121 Views:3354 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,
Here is another option for anyone wanting to camp at Kalumburu. By the way also
make sure you go see Father Anscar's museam while there, it is fantastic and if Father does the tour one of the most enjoyable things you will do up here. He has the greatest personality. Normally 10 am weekdays and not expensive at all for the 1.5 hours of guided tour you get. Amazing variaty of stuff he has in there, I've done it three times and would still do again any given chance.
There have been at different times problems with some of the coast camps but you could consider staying in at the Mission and just drive out the 20/ 30 km to the beaches. I just rang to check for latest with the mission at Kalumburu and got an update about their camp ground.
It isn't at the beach it's at the Mission but as they said , it is clean & green, they even have powered sites now. I personally haven't seen the set up but being the Mission it will be clean and it is amazing that they tell me that they have green grass in the camp ground during the 'dry' . This takes a huge effort and cost.

Per night

Adult $10
child 6 / 15 years =$4
child under 6 = free
Family rate ( Mum Dad & unlimited kids) =$25

They do take bookings ( which we don't)
ph (08) 91 614 333
They also have e-mail, you can phone for address if you wish.
cheers, Anne

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Alan- Tuesday, Mar 09, 2004 at 15:43

Tuesday, Mar 09, 2004 at 15:43
Anne, you're going to have to stop posting on this forum cos I'm getting itchy feet and want to desperately get back to the North, particularly the Kimberley!
Years ago I worked on drill rigs out of Kunnunurra, on the Curtin RAAF Base at Derby, on the black top between Fitzroy and Halls Creek, visited Wyndham, Broome and other places at various times since the early 70's.
So stop it, please, I hate sitting behind this desk!
AnswerID: 49666

Follow Up By: Salty - Thursday, Mar 11, 2004 at 01:17

Thursday, Mar 11, 2004 at 01:17
G`Day Alan,
When did you work at the curtin RAAF base? I drove road trains for Bellways carting roadbase from the Leopold range to the base when the job first started back in the early 80`s?
Regards salty,
FollowupID: 311690

Follow Up By: Member - Alan- Thursday, Mar 11, 2004 at 11:19

Thursday, Mar 11, 2004 at 11:19
Hello Salty. I was a mech. fitter with Leightons in about 1983 for around 6 months. Stayed in the "Spini" in Derby for that time. Had some good times there and had a quick visit a year or so back. They've cleaned Derby up quiet a bit but the Spini was the same, bit more run down really.
Dusty job that was especially in the mornings, couldn't see a thing sometimes and they had to stop work as it was too dangerous with heavy machinery flying about.
Worked for Bellways in Perth for a short period until a height disadvantaged twit of a foreman upset me!
Too bloody old for the tough jobs now, polish a seat for a couple more years. I for one won't be working til I drop like Costello wants us to!
Then off to the Kimberley and Top End for a considerable period.
Can't wait.

FollowupID: 311720

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Tuesday, Mar 09, 2004 at 16:34

Tuesday, Mar 09, 2004 at 16:34
Isn't our Anne wonderful!
She also sent this information directly to me so I will be able to update the trek notes with this info so it doesn't get lost in the archives.
Many thanks Anne.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 49670

Reply By: Graham & Ann - Tuesday, Mar 09, 2004 at 16:36

Tuesday, Mar 09, 2004 at 16:36
Thanks for the updates and info Anne, would love to be visiting this winter, good rains this current wet by the looks of it, ( http://tinyurl.com/3xfr5 ) but new grandkids coming along have had us put our trip up your way off till winter 2005.
Enjoy
AnswerID: 49671

Follow Up By: Anne from Drysdale River Station - Tuesday, Mar 09, 2004 at 23:41

Tuesday, Mar 09, 2004 at 23:41
Hi Graham & Ann,
Yes pretty good wet, we are over average now reached 1,138 mm this morning and a shower this evening to add to that. Needed it, the last wet
was very low. Two or three low ones in a row and the cattle are in trouble and the Falls stop to early and people are dissapointed with what they see.
cheers, Anne
FollowupID: 311526

Reply By: vk5ex - Tuesday, Mar 09, 2004 at 20:48

Tuesday, Mar 09, 2004 at 20:48
Hello Anne and all,

Thankyou for your information regarding the mission at Kalumburu. Im just curious to know what the 'problems' are / were with the coastal camping up that way ?
We are going to be visting Kalumburu in mid July, so it would be nice to know about any impending problems !!

Regards .. Andrew

AnswerID: 49697

Follow Up By: Anne from Drysdale River Station - Tuesday, Mar 09, 2004 at 23:25

Tuesday, Mar 09, 2004 at 23:25
Hi Andrew,
My post was a follow on to
7 th March Sandie posted question re Honeymoon or McGowns for camping.
Skip back a couple of pages and read the responses given to the question.
Judging by the travellers comments I heard during last year I gather things were no better and sometimes worse, I was agreeing with problems mentioned.
All that said some people still loved the beach camps, others did not.
I posted as a new subject so that anyone not checking back may also get to see the other option.
cheers, Anne
FollowupID: 311523

Sponsored Links