EO Topo downloaded for IOS unusable on windows - yes?

Submitted: Monday, Feb 23, 2015 at 17:07
ThreadID: 111218 Views:1794 Replies:1 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I finally got fed right up with trying to use MudMaps and Memory Maps on an iPad in the car in the bush and bought a cheap Windows tablet (HP Stream 8 $169) to run OziExplorer on. Can get my NatMap Raster set on along with all my other maps acquired (largely scanned from 100k paper maps) over the years, but it appears the EO Topo set I have are not able to be used on this Windows device, unless I buy them again.

Is this correct, or is there some workaround, as I do like the EO Topo maps, being a bit more up to date than my 2004 NatMap set?

Grateful the collective wisdom of the forum.

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Boobook2 - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2015 at 08:15

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2015 at 08:15
I believe your problem was with the IPAD, not Memory Map or Mud Map. Apple restrict the way documents are handled and it cripples what you can do with Mapping apps.

Since you appear to have the Memory Map version of the EO topo, why don't you download Memory Map for the PC and put it on your PC. It's free and a very easy to use map program on the PC. You can import Geotiff maps with an option, though that is relatively difficult.

AnswerID: 546476

Follow Up By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2015 at 01:15

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2015 at 01:15
Thanks very much. That seems to be working, even if it is taking 15 hours to download.
FollowupID: 834264

Follow Up By: Boobook2 - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2015 at 06:35

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2015 at 06:35
You can download the maps quickly from

bulk download page

or here

packaged maps

This may also help you with the IPAD. IPHONE IPAD instructions
FollowupID: 834265

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2015 at 11:40

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2015 at 11:40
Paul, I just reread your original post and suspect that the problem with the EO topo on the IPAD was to do with the way Memory Maps on the IPAD works and you should be able to use it on the IPAD if you do the following.

Download the EOtopo map in full from the first link I provided above.

Then plug the IPAD into your PC with Itunes turned on.
then follow these instructions.
IPAD instructions

I suspect that you don't bulk load and whenever you lost service Memory Map looks for the bits of the map that you don't have yet. Bulk download fixes that and it works 100% off line.
FollowupID: 834274

Follow Up By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Thursday, Feb 26, 2015 at 01:25

Thursday, Feb 26, 2015 at 01:25
Thanks Boobok, but I don't want to use the iPad in the car. The HP tablet is just perfect for what I want to do as it essentially gives me full Ozi functionality without any of the annoying little things that Apple won't let you do on Memory Maps (or MudMaps, for that matter) or because it has run out of memory yet again.

I have all my maps functioning on the HP except for EO Topo, which I have managed to download, but it's in .qc3 format, which I haven't yet figured out how to convert for use in Ozi. Any thoughts?
FollowupID: 834350

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Thursday, Feb 26, 2015 at 07:00

Thursday, Feb 26, 2015 at 07:00
Unfortunately I haven't found a way to convert encrypted QC3 to any other format.

I don't believe it's possible.

FollowupID: 834351

Sponsored Links