Victoria Rock Road to Cave Hill

Howdy all,
Can anybody tell me what the road is like between Victoria Rock Road and Cave Hill?
More specifically, is it wide enough to tow my pop top van or is it too narrow that I could wipe my awning off the side of the van with overhanging shrubs etc?
I wouldn't mind heading to Burra Rock from Cave Hill so I'm wondering about that road as well. Any info would help. Thanks...
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen - Saturday, Feb 28, 2015 at 00:12

Saturday, Feb 28, 2015 at 00:12
We were not towing, but on those roads we would have had no trouble with our full size van Cheeky. Some of the old woodlines which you can drive may have been a different story; we did not take any of these with our F250. Good camping areas at Victoria Rock and Cave Hill (pit toilets), and you can camp at Burra Rock.

I have My Blogs for this trip (2007).

You can see the roads and tracks we went on from this map.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 546702

Follow Up By: Cheeky1 - Saturday, Feb 28, 2015 at 11:49

Saturday, Feb 28, 2015 at 11:49
Thanks for the info Motherhen. I was just a bit worried about the width of these roads with the van. I'll check out your blogs as well.
FollowupID: 834480

Follow Up By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Monday, Mar 02, 2015 at 23:19

Monday, Mar 02, 2015 at 23:19
I am very surprised this is listed as "4WD only" on the map, Motherhen. I've always thought of it more as an infrequently maintained dirt road on which care needs to be maintained. It would have to be incredibly wet for it not to be accessible in a 2WD, in which case the shire would likely close it.

It is certainly wide enough to tow a caravan along, although it's not a road I'd be driving at much more than 60 or 70 kph on, as you come across ruts and gutters across it without much warning.

There is a track west from Cave Hill itself as well (ie instead of the road from Widgiemooltha which continues on to Queen Victoria Rocks Rd, from which you gain access to Cave Hill) and this is very narrow and unformed and generally follows an old woodline. It's a great track in the dry, but not one you'd tow a van down.

Further to Mothherhen's excellent suggestions, there's any number of great camping spots all through this country, especially amongst the Salmon Gums in slightly sandy country without the usual eremophila or saltbush.

We were at Cave Hill over the Australia Day weekend and there was adequate water for swimming and yabbying in 4 or 5 of the 7 dams. Great spot.
FollowupID: 834695

Follow Up By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Monday, Mar 02, 2015 at 23:27

Monday, Mar 02, 2015 at 23:27
Sorry, forgot to mention the road the Burra Rocks from Cave Hill is a reasonably new fully formed dirt road put in 5-6 years ago by the Shire of Coolgardie.

It's also worth your while driving that stretch of the woodline track as well if you've got some time, as it is really lovely country. Just don't tow your van down it.

You should also have a look at Wallaroo Rocks which are north of the east-west railway between Kalgoorlie and Koolyanobbing. It's about 75-80km from Coolgardie along the railway access road. Another (much earlier) woodline development now a conservation reserve you'll get your van into no worries, and again there are some nice tracks to explore without your van.

Enjoy
FollowupID: 834696

Sponsored Links