Gunbarrel Hyw

We are travelling from Darwin to Broome and down as far as Exmouth in August this year and would like to return via Carnigie and the Gunbarrel Highway, can anyone help us with a suggested route to get across from Exmouth to Wiluna, I have looked at possibly via Mt Augustas or back to Newman and something like picking up the Talawana /Canning /Wiluna
We will be towing a well set up Kimberley Kamper trailer with our LC 200 with long range Fuel and water in company with similar vehicle trailer setup.
Appreciate any suggestions, many Thanks in advance,
Nev & Leanne
4US24WD
NEVS4B
4US24WD

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mick O - Monday, Mar 02, 2015 at 18:57

Monday, Mar 02, 2015 at 18:57
Nev, how about heading in to Tom Price, Karajini, Newman then up the Nullagine Road to the Talawana, turn left into Rudall then back out to Georgia Bore on the Canning. From here you could head straight through to the Gary (reccomended) and down the Gary or eagle Highway if you want a bit of extra adventure,to the Gunbarrel.

Or.... head up to Nullagine then east on the Skull Springs Road to Carrawine Gorge and then Telfer and into Rudall River exiting through the bottom of the park to get to the Talawana and Georgia Bore (refuel at Cotton Creek (Parnngurr) if needed).

Or..... turn right from Georgia Bore and head down the Canning Via Durba etc and off at well 9 or 5 across to the Gunbarrel. No trailers are allowed on the lower section half of the Canning. You could then refuel at Carnegie and head across the Gunbarrel to Warburton.

Ahh such great country and so many choices.

Safe Travels

Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 546848

Follow Up By: Member - Nevs4b - Tuesday, Mar 03, 2015 at 01:25

Tuesday, Mar 03, 2015 at 01:25
Hi Mick, Thanks for the info, I'm getting real keen on your suggestions, that is the sort of thing I had in mind, sounds like you are familiar with some of these yourself ? We did the Canning from Halls Ck to Wiluna and then across the Gunbarrel in 2004 without the trailer and for what I remember it was slow going but nothing too bad in the way of steep sand hills, I'm not at all familiar with the Pilbra/Telfer/Rudall side, do you think there would be any problem on those sections with the trailers ? I know the bottom of the Canning is off limit.
Oh, you're definately so right about this beautiful country, we are so lucky to have to explore, life begins in low range eah !
Cheers for now, Nev
NEVS4B
4US24WD

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 834699

Reply By: Gotlost - Wednesday, Mar 04, 2015 at 11:59

Wednesday, Mar 04, 2015 at 11:59
Nev i did the Gunbarrel Hwy in Aug 2008, was living in Exmouth at the time, went Burketts Rd to North West Coastal Hwy turned off the Hwy at the Towera Station sign then onto Mt Augusta via Burringurrah then Landor Station onto Meekatharra then Wiluna.

Cheers
Mark
AnswerID: 549413

Sponsored Links