Subaru XT Forester

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 10, 2004 at 12:26
ThreadID: 11139 Views:2121 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Looking to upgrade my GT to an XT Forester. Has anyone had any experience towing anything substantial with this car. Lift kit and bigger tyres planned. Looking to haul a 1000kg+ camper up the beach and through the forest and I think I may be having myself on...even though they have 180kw power...

Anyone ever seen lifted turbo Foresters battling through the thick stuff?

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Well 55 - Wednesday, Mar 10, 2004 at 12:30

Wednesday, Mar 10, 2004 at 12:30
Anything is possible as far as a lift goes. But a 1000kg+ is a big ask.

AnswerID: 49772

Reply By: flappan - Wednesday, Mar 10, 2004 at 12:32

Wednesday, Mar 10, 2004 at 12:32
With no low range , you would be pushing it. Outright power will only get you so far.
AnswerID: 49773

Reply By: IT Doctor - Wednesday, Mar 10, 2004 at 13:31

Wednesday, Mar 10, 2004 at 13:31
A mate of mine has the turbo 180kw engine fitted to his, we went down to Preston Beach and while he skimmed along at a phenominal speed when it came time to turn around in the soft stuff he got stuck. Clearance definately a problem, tyres and lift kit would be minimum. He stated that the Jap Turbo verisons have a lower first gear anyway and that is why they dont have dual range.

I am yet to be convinced.... I think if you are towing that weight then you definately need the gearing when the going gets tough. You cant skimm over the surface for ever.
AnswerID: 49782

Follow Up By: flappan - Wednesday, Mar 10, 2004 at 14:44

Wednesday, Mar 10, 2004 at 14:44
"He stated that the Jap Turbo verisons have a lower first gear anyway and that is why they dont have dual range. "

I believe thats the case for the Auto , not sure on the manual. With an auto , to a degree, it can take the place of a dual range cause there is no clutch to worry about. that would work fine for the vehicle , but add a quite heavy trailer , and with the amount of power available , I can see you digging in, real quick. You would need the low range to give you all the power you want , but at a greatly reduced pace.
FollowupID: 311581

Reply By: Member Colin - NSW Bungendore - Thursday, Mar 11, 2004 at 19:37

Thursday, Mar 11, 2004 at 19:37
The new XT really has too much power - completely unnecessary. Anyway - if you are thinking about doing any 'off road' driving, the only option is an auto gearbox - and I believe there is an optional auto gearbox cooler?
As far as towing 1000kg camper on the beach - I wouldn't - trailers are good as boat anchors and not to be towed behind cars!

An auto GT was a better car then the XT in my opinion - we have had one to a lot of places including the CSR - unstoppable on sand dunes. Not sure what the latest is in regard to lifting from SubaExtreme - We use 'nylon' spacers on top of the strut, under the strut tower. Get some higher profile A/T tyres as a start.

Good luck
AnswerID: 49974

Sponsored Links