Terrano 2 Temperature??

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 10, 2004 at 17:45
ThreadID: 11145 Views:4609 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
A question for Terrano 2 2.7 TDI diesel owners.
What temperature do your vehicles run at during heavy loadings?
I was on the Stock Route Spur Track near Dargo on Friday, ambient temperature was about 25 degrees, at one point on the track there is a 3.4 km uphill mainly low range first gear, during this section the temperature rose to a little over 3/4 guage! As soon as the load is taken off the vehicle, ie. start downhill, the temperature drops rapidly to normal operating temperature.
I had also noticed on the way to Dargo on Thursday, ambient temperature 35 degrees, towing my Track camper trailer, it also reached 3/4 guage.
At all other times of normal driving, in any ambient temperature, the guage sits around 1/3.
Does this sound like I may be overdue for a radiator clean?

PS. Yes, I did have the air cond on! 35 degrees, who wouldn't?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: biscuits - Wednesday, Mar 10, 2004 at 18:52

Wednesday, Mar 10, 2004 at 18:52
I've often wondered the exact same thing about my SD33T patrol.

When you take the first big (long) hill of the ranges east of perth, the temp guage always shoots right up , but then as soon as you go over (down) it, the temp guage rapidly drops back to normal...

I wonder if Nissan puts really communicative temp guages in their diesels, if both our radiators are stuffed, or our diesels just run really hot under heavy load??

I wouldnt have picked a newish 2.7 TDI engine to have the same problems as my old truck motor!

Dave.
AnswerID: 49819

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 10, 2004 at 21:37

Wednesday, Mar 10, 2004 at 21:37
Shaker,

A couple of things to check before replacing the radiator.

1. Give the radiator a good hose out. Could have some dry mud blocking the air flow.
2. Replae the thermostat.
3. Replace the coolant and make sure the right mix is used. (water to coolant ratio)
4. Replace the radiator cap.
5. Reverse flush the radiator.

I hope one or all of the above solve your problem.

Wayne
AnswerID: 49843

Follow Up By: Shaker - Wednesday, Mar 10, 2004 at 22:38

Wednesday, Mar 10, 2004 at 22:38
Thanks for the reply, I am having the radiator cleaned properly tomorrow, ie. being pulled apart & cleaned by radiator service.
The thermostat is certainly opening ok because the temp drops rapidly & it maintains an even temp at all other times.
FollowupID: 311661

Reply By: mal - Wednesday, Mar 10, 2004 at 23:49

Wednesday, Mar 10, 2004 at 23:49
g/day it seems to be a problem with the terrano mine gets very hot quickly underload also when 4wd beach very close to boiling .
hope a radiator clean does the trick if so let me know please thanks.
mal.
AnswerID: 49880

Reply By: Member - Oskar(Bris) - Thursday, Mar 11, 2004 at 09:01

Thursday, Mar 11, 2004 at 09:01
I have a mate with the Terrano II and his gets very hot climbing hills etc.
Sorry .. seems to go with the breed.
Oskar
AnswerID: 49900

Reply By: Member - Dragan T (VIC) - Thursday, Mar 11, 2004 at 16:09

Thursday, Mar 11, 2004 at 16:09
I own Terrano TD27 as well, 89 2 door. I was told it's a common thing with terranos, temaprature and transmission sensitive. Good oil in the engine and tranny, keep an eye on the gauge and no worries! On mine, temp rises on long climbs at high speeds. Did a couple hours on pretty hot day 4WDriving on the sand,temp. didn't go above 50%. On the normal city driving temp gauge is always below 30%. I guess it's normal for temp. to go up is engine is slaving harder. Let's face it it is a pretty small engine!!! Guy from QLD did an upgrade to 3 core radiator, no worries since than!! Keep your eyes on the tranny as well, it is as sensitive as engine temp. If you are using it to pull load, upgrade to tranny oil cooler would be good!!

Cheers!!!
AnswerID: 49935

Reply By: hoyks - Thursday, Mar 11, 2004 at 18:14

Thursday, Mar 11, 2004 at 18:14
Mine is exactly the same. Towing a boat back from Townsville at Christmas the gauge sat at 2/3 all the way. This was after a radiator flush. One thing I have noticed is that the electric fan in front of the radiator stops working when it gets really hot and so does the aircon. You would think that then is when you could use all the cooling you could get.
Once on Stockton beach on a nice 33 deg day I had a nice rolling boil going in the overflow tank, so they can struggle a bit at times.

If you look at the electric fan you will see that there are bolt holes to attach another fan on the left hand side. I intend to do this one day when I get the time and inclination. Either hook it up to a switch on the dash or the aircon circuit.

AnswerID: 49957

Reply By: Shaker - Thursday, Mar 11, 2004 at 19:02

Thursday, Mar 11, 2004 at 19:02
Thanks for the replies! I would be interested to know if the triple row radiator core was fitted to a Terrano or Terrano 2.
AnswerID: 49966

Follow Up By: Dragan - Terrano - Friday, Mar 12, 2004 at 11:36

Friday, Mar 12, 2004 at 11:36
From the story I got, guy just took his to radiator place and had it modified. Can't just replace it with something else because tranny oil cooler is integrated in to radiator as well. That is for terrano, dunno about terrano 2.
FollowupID: 311865

Sponsored Links