Goodyear MTR's

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 10, 2004 at 22:21
ThreadID: 11155 Views:1845 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Rob from Cairns Offroad Training & Tours how are your MTR's performing since last April '03. What wear are you experiencing and are you still happy with them.
What sort of mileage do you think you'll get ?
H
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - StevenL - Wednesday, Mar 10, 2004 at 23:05

Wednesday, Mar 10, 2004 at 23:05
Hi All,

I was reluctant to start yet another tyre post but seeing as Harry has obliged I'll ask the question!

I am looking at getting a set of MTRs for the Prado. Big question is do they come in 17". I want to buy some 17" steel wheels and create a bush set with MTRs and then run the Alloys with Grand Treks around town. Why wear out a set of $270 MTRs driving to work when $120 Highway tyres will do the job with less noise!

Any advice on compatible steel wheels and/or other good 17" Bush capable tyres would be appreciated!!!! OEM spec tyres are 265/65R17 on 7.5JJx17 on alloy rims. (GX model has 225/70R17 tyres on 6Jx17 steels)

PS. I am not keen on the brake caliper griding mod so will be sticking with 17".

StevenL
AnswerID: 49874

Follow Up By: Member - StevenL - Wednesday, Mar 10, 2004 at 23:54

Wednesday, Mar 10, 2004 at 23:54
PPS. I know I could go to Toyota and get some steel rims for a GX to put on my GXL but I am afraid I'd have a heart atack at the price!!
FollowupID: 311680

Reply By: Member - Cocka - Wednesday, Mar 10, 2004 at 23:58

Wednesday, Mar 10, 2004 at 23:58
I can't enlighten you on the mileage bit as I'm still on my first set of 6 (4+2 spares) we have done a couple of awsome trips and they have not let me down, if you get what I mean, not a problem. I do work the tyre pressures constantly to suit the road/rock/beach conditions. I tend to keep the pressures on the high side travelling on the black, 50 psi when loaded up.
They are a little noisey but if it annoys me I wind the windows up. A bloke from whom I bought them & who fitted them was a Coopers agency and he said (quitely) "they are a much better tyre than the Coops". Generally, they seem to be wearing OK.
AnswerID: 49883

Follow Up By: Coops (Pilbara) - Thursday, Mar 11, 2004 at 14:44

Thursday, Mar 11, 2004 at 14:44
I've done 35 000 km's on my set of 5 (2nd spare not used or rotated as yet) and still have 12mm of tread after starting with 15mm.
Couldn't be happier apart form harder work in soft sand but there's not much of that around here. Absolutely great on rock, a huge surprise on gravel and given that I spend a great deal of time on bitumen the wear rate is well ahead of schedule.
I've had 2 staked sidewalls (where other vehicles in the party shredded their tyres) which I promptly filled with plugs and are still on the "truck" now (patched). Eventually they will end up on the trailer but not 'til they've worn a bit more.
Hope this helps
FollowupID: 311733

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Mar 11, 2004 at 09:11

Thursday, Mar 11, 2004 at 09:11
THey are noisey when they start to wear, I think gettin 70-80,000 would be a good run out of them.. although Im gonna sell em soon, get some new ones, or some Xterrains.
AnswerID: 49901

Reply By: Trol - Thursday, Mar 11, 2004 at 11:02

Thursday, Mar 11, 2004 at 11:02
Hi Rob,

I have a set of the MTR's on 15 x 8's on my Nissan Patrol, do all kind of work ie. beach 10%, offroad 20% and onroad obviously the rest. I've done 45,000 k's so far and have about 50% tread remaining, I would estimate about 70,000 would be about it (tyres seem to wear quicker once your halfway through.

They are a little noisy when they hit 60% (aren't all mudders), and as I have discovered, it is imperative that you have a balance and alignment every 5000ks if you have a suspension lift. I did 7000k's at the end of last year straight in about 20 days and the two middle sections of the tyre wore quite strangely. I have my alignments and rotations done at goodyear and he gave me a roasting for leaving it too long.

Great in the wet, pretty good performer in the mud and fantastic on rocks. I'm really happy with them and wouldn't go back to the harder compound of BFG's mudder (obvously my on opinion!).

Happy tyre hunting!

Cheers

Trol.
AnswerID: 49912

Reply By: Harry - Friday, Mar 12, 2004 at 15:09

Friday, Mar 12, 2004 at 15:09
Giddaye Trol,
I think u meant Hi Harry, anyways good feedback from u guys, just what I needed to hear. A dealer is chasing me to put Cooper's on, but i have been reluctant to take his offer.
The noise part is not a factor to me, it's performance that's what i am after.
Funnily enough I haven't heard from Rob yet.
Thanks Truckster, Cocka, your comments are appreciated, and any others that took the time to reply, a big thank'u'.
Now all i gotta do is choose size. Size does matter doesn't it. So do the girls like bigger ones or what?
Confucios say" Man who go through airport turnstile sideways, probaly going to Bankok.
Harry :>)
AnswerID: 50091

Sponsored Links