Air Fittings and stuff

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 11, 2004 at 21:47
ThreadID: 11183 Views:1821 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I was tired of going from tyre to tyre with my ARB compressor (portable one) and lose pressure each time i removed the inflator form the tyre... especially when checking the pressure (too see if i had enough in there to move on to the next tyre)

So began my quest :D

I decided i needed some way of cutting the pressure to take the inflator off the tyre and check the pressure.

A few quick connect fittings replaced the weird ARB ones... to a 'normal' Jamec style fitting. This lets me use the normal hose and air tools etc.

Next, i made a Quick connect to 1/4 turn valve to Quick connect to allow me to turn off the air flow, allowing the Compressor to build up pressure whilst i checked the tyre pressure. EXCELLENT :D

Next, i added a 1/8 BSP T peice and Gauge... now i don't have to remove the Clip on Air chuck, just stop flow from the compressor with the 1/4 turn valve and read the tyres pressure :D

this worked a treat.

I converted my old 9 litre water extinguisher to an air tank which aids the whole airing up process. I also put a 0-150 psi gauge on the Compressor to see what pressure the tank was up too. With 3 quick connect fittings on the compressor , and 3 hoses, and 3 air chucks, i can 'technically' fill 3 tyres at once now :D

Some pics of the setup here :

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Toonfish - Friday, Mar 12, 2004 at 12:05

Friday, Mar 12, 2004 at 12:05
good job steve .
have you tested the accuracy?

looks a bit fiddly
but like the man said
"i did it my way"
AnswerID: 50066

Follow Up By: srowlandson - Friday, Mar 12, 2004 at 14:29

Friday, Mar 12, 2004 at 14:29
I have indeed.

The gauge i have is accurate to the 4 other gauges i have.

It also reads 2-3 PSI over the tyre pressure when inflating if the tank 'revserves' are depleted.

FollowupID: 311880

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - David - Friday, Mar 12, 2004 at 14:58

Friday, Mar 12, 2004 at 14:58

Good pictorial!

How long does it take to fill the 9ltr reserve tank using the compressor?
What pressure does it get upto?

Was it a discount day at the fittings shop or do you have contacts?
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 50090

Follow Up By: srowlandson - Friday, Mar 12, 2004 at 15:28

Friday, Mar 12, 2004 at 15:28
the 9litre tanks takes about 5 mins to fill completely. it gets up to 110psi (as thats what the ARB Pressure Switch cuts out at)

The fittings were purchased on a trade account from my local Fitting's supplier, although i did get them through a collegue @ ford to get a better price :)
FollowupID: 311885

Reply By: landcrusa - Friday, Mar 12, 2004 at 15:24

Friday, Mar 12, 2004 at 15:24
Impressive selection of spare fittings Steve. I know how much they cost.

However as the ARB cuts out when the tank has refilled , you could have just inserted into the airline a trigger operated inflator complete with gauge. Available at Supercrap for about $30 ;)
AnswerID: 50093

Follow Up By: srowlandson - Friday, Mar 12, 2004 at 15:31

Friday, Mar 12, 2004 at 15:31
I could have, but

a: it wasn't as fun.
b: I know the gauge and fittings are good quality, the ones at supercheap weren't
c: all up my inflator was about $40 with the gauge, hose, quick connect and 1/4 Turn Valve... so not much more expensive.

I have spent over $200 now on Air Fittings :|

Although, i have learn what all the components are called, what is on the market, and have assist a couple of mates in setting their cars up too. It was all R&D for our Air Manifold we designed and manufactured late last year for use with air Lockers, fittings from any compressor.

FollowupID: 311886

Reply By: John - Friday, Mar 12, 2004 at 23:38

Friday, Mar 12, 2004 at 23:38
Hi Steve
What supplier /brand supplied the 1/8" BSP tyre valve ?
I have been looking for one for the same reason as you use yours, but to date have not had much success.

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 50154

Follow Up By: bob - Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 11:53

Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 11:53

Ryco hydraulics sell tyre valve chucks pt No P214. The only thing I would add to the above system is an inline check valve to maintain system pressure when the pump is off.

Bob A
FollowupID: 311990

Follow Up By: srowlandson - Sunday, Mar 14, 2004 at 14:11

Sunday, Mar 14, 2004 at 14:11
It is on order, got a couple coming, they should be in this week ;)

I get my Jamec stuff from Des Munday in Geelong, Vic...

The tyre valve is also called a tank valave, Jamec Part number 32-3077 (short) 32-3079 Long

FollowupID: 312096

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (9)