Modifying air filter do's and don'ts?

Submitted: Sunday, May 12, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1120 Views:2661 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Another 84 na Pajero question.

I am planing to modify the airfilter system on my pet 84 SWB Pajero. I am keen to try and improve the fuel efficiency/ performance (and enjoy fixing/breaking things that are not yet broken!!)

Hopefully the modification will involve a ram pod style filter and a homemade Hi Clone like device (more about this below).

As I plan to do some relatively serious touring in the car I want the system to be solid and relatively water safe.

At present a snorkle is not an option.

Where is the best place to the mount an intake (ie pod) in the engine bay where it is least likely to become inundated with water?

If I have a downward section in the air hoses and angle the filter downwards will this reduce the likelyhood of flooding the engine?

Do pod filters cope better with being splashed with water?

As for the homemade Hi Clone device. Personally I very much doubt the claims made by Hi Clone, but I can see that a similar device may have value for a carby engine that (I think) require turbulant air for optimum mixing. Pod filters tend to give fairly good smooth air flows. Hence to my decision to attempt to make one to sit close to the throats of the carby.

BTW is it possible to post pictures on this forum? i would like to post some pictures of this modification (if I go ahead) so that others may comment.

Cheers

Justin
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Andrew - Monday, May 13, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, May 13, 2002 at 00:00
Here we go again, hi-clone, justin, have a look inside your inlet manifold..is it all shiny and smooth, or a texturted finish, i bet the later.. well, that aids the turbulent flow of the fuel air mix below the venturi, as does the inlets at the head and wthin the combustion chamber .. some people wake up with a "fat" idea that circular tubulance is the answer.. but is it.. and major vehicle manufacturers have been around for a while..
if hi-clone was a success, don't you think they would be canvassing the manufacturers to fit them.. mass vehicles there, millions..
rather than the solitary sods who go to the local Auto Wank-mart to "wet" their dreams.
Why would you want to put a restrictor in a induction manifold that inhibits air flow, swirls it theoretically to some degree for a while maybe, but also theoretically reduces the volume of air to pass through a given circumference.
Give the money to the needy instead!!
AnswerID: 3510

Follow Up By: Justin - Monday, May 13, 2002 at 00:00

Hi Andrew

Sorry about the confusion, I think you misread my post. I am not going to spend any money on a Hi Clone device. My exact words were and "a homemade Hi Clone like device". I would never spend any money making such a device and I can understand your frustration in the blind faith other people seem to have in Hi Clones and Fuel Max devices. .......................................However I am aware that carbies are susceptible to altered air flows (as are some EFI systems). Some do rely on particular flow characteristics generated by the air filter assembly, and I have first hand knowledge of carby (original) cars that could not be tuned correctly because of the 'sports' filter fitted to the car. Having said this modified and performance carbies are another story altogether...............if I were to fit a Hi Clone like device it would be totally homemade and substantially less obstructive than the commercial devices....................I guess the other reason I want to make my own device is to simply prove a point, the point being that I can make the same device (that is perhaps of very dubious benefit) that some people pay $100? for nothing!!................So where is the best place to position the air filter?
FollowupID: 1421

Reply By: Ken - Monday, May 13, 2002 at 00:00

Justin there is nowhere in the engine bay to mount a pod where it wont ingest water during a creek crossing. The only solution is a properly sealed air filter box [use a finer filter or unifilter element] and a snorkel. The snorkel can be fitted with a forward facing scoop to help air flow, thats about the best you con do, forget the hi clone thpe devices. Regards Ken.
AnswerID: 3514

Follow Up By: Justin - Monday, May 13, 2002 at 00:00

Thanks Ken,

I think I will scrap the homemade Hi Clone idea, and avoid those deep river crossings (at least until I fit a snorkle!!)

Justin
FollowupID: 1422

Follow Up By: Ken - Monday, May 13, 2002 at 00:00

Justin just a point of interest regarding your Pagero, a mate of mine has a 1988 Triton almost the same running gear, he has had it from new and has now clocked 310000km still on original motor and gearbox , only uses 1lt oil between 10000k oil changes. it has been around Australia twiice including CapeYork ,Kimberleys and Gun Barrel Hwy he is currently planning a Canning Stock Route trip for next year! Regards Ken.
FollowupID: 1423

Sponsored Links