Mitchell Plateau new entry fee

Submitted: Friday, Mar 12, 2004 at 16:22
ThreadID: 11202 Views:2313 Replies:14 FollowUps:38
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,
For those who intend to travel to the Mitchell Plateau there is to be a new fee you need to know about.
A decision has just been made that from the start of this season onwards the Wunambal Gaambera Corporation will charge an entry fee to the Mitchell Plateau.
The entry point will be the King Edward River Crossing and the Aboriginal people will set up a camp there to take entry fees.
This covers access to the popular King Edward River camp area as well as the Mitchell Falls.

COST
$50 per vehicle for a three day pass.

For tour operators $15 per person.

Travellers will no doubt have to be sure they have a spare $50 cash, as I will be surprised if they offer card facilities and although I take all cards for all purchases I do not offer cash out.
Sorry to bring this news but it is best you know in advance , rather than find out when you get up there. I will be putting up a notice in my shop but again better to know before departing from a town.
cheers, Anne
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Ray - Friday, Mar 12, 2004 at 17:39

Friday, Mar 12, 2004 at 17:39
What am I going to get for my 50 bucks? Bugger all I expect, but so what is new now everything is being handed over to them.And what will happen to the fees collected? I hesitate to pass an opinion on that subject.(and don't anybody bother to tell me I'm racist I couldn't care less)
AnswerID: 50110

Reply By: Mike - Friday, Mar 12, 2004 at 17:44

Friday, Mar 12, 2004 at 17:44
Well then there's one decision made. Under those circumstances you probably won't see us up that way at all. Not paying $50 to anyone after rattling our teeth on the road for a number of hours. Given that we are self contained they'd want to be offering hot showers and flush toilets under palm trees for that.
Jan & Mike.
AnswerID: 50112

Follow Up By: Anne from Drysdale River Station - Friday, Mar 12, 2004 at 18:07

Friday, Mar 12, 2004 at 18:07
Hi Jan & Mike,
Think differently, just come the 59 km up to us. The road from junction to us is good, often better than GR road ( & we do have flush toilets and hot showers) and then take a 2 hour scenic plane flight.
The flight goes down the whole Prince Regent river, waterfalls , mountains, coast and islands, it goes along the coast and then up to the Mitchell Falls.
That way you get to see heaps and don't have to bump up the plateau track. Will save you a couple of days ( and the entry fee ). Seat prices start from $200 adult for the just over 2 hour flight. See our web site for photos.
cheers, Anne
FollowupID: 311906

Follow Up By: Goran - Friday, Mar 12, 2004 at 18:41

Friday, Mar 12, 2004 at 18:41
Anne, do you offer anything on your property for a keen hunter?
FollowupID: 311910

Follow Up By: Coops (Pilbara) - Friday, Mar 12, 2004 at 21:04

Friday, Mar 12, 2004 at 21:04
Mike
It's well worth the fifty odd k's to Drysdale. They've got the best showers along GRR and the grub/wine/company isn't too bad either.
I agree on the Mitchell Plateau bit though. I'll not be donating one single cent to their coffers.
FollowupID: 311934

Follow Up By: Mike - Friday, Mar 12, 2004 at 21:28

Friday, Mar 12, 2004 at 21:28
Anne, seems like Drysdale River Station might be a good place to enjoy for a day or two, we'll see. Certainly can't see ourselves going anywhere further North of you. Sounds all too hard so we'll just vote with our feet. I suppose that if enough vote with their feet (or tyres, or wings) the message might get through. Actually I'd like to know under what pretence this action is being mooted. I don't recall having to apply for a permit from the authorities as I did with Kalumburu.I had better stop now before I really get on my box.
(Jan) & Mike.
FollowupID: 311938

Follow Up By: basecamp15 - Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 00:21

Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 00:21
Anne.
Has anybody told you how good you have it? It must be great working in heaven lol. Hope to see you there one day. I'm trying to organise a trip for next July.
Cheers, Mark.
FollowupID: 311960

Follow Up By: Member - Wim (Bris) - Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 12:18

Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 12:18
Anne.
Be carfull, the next thing you know you will be charged for the use of THEIR air space.

Regards
Camper setup
July 2012 - Hay River & Binns track
VKS 737 Mobile 0091
Selcall 0091

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 311993

Follow Up By: Graham & Ann - Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 15:07

Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 15:07
Anne we'll try your showers out in 2005

cya
FollowupID: 311999

Reply By: Member - Nick (TAS) - Friday, Mar 12, 2004 at 18:27

Friday, Mar 12, 2004 at 18:27
Looks like we'll be seeing Anne next year and the region by air.Hey its our land to-no stop!!!
AnswerID: 50121

Reply By: Willem - Friday, Mar 12, 2004 at 18:29

Friday, Mar 12, 2004 at 18:29
Anne,

Thanks for that info. A sign of the times, I guess. I am sure that given time facilities will be developed. $50? that's 3 packets of cigarettes for smokers or 25 cans of beer for drinkers. Funny, people pay $300 per ticket to go and watch some ageing rock 'n rollers make inane music for a few hours but don't want to pay to see a pristine part of Australia . Oh well. Glad I saw it all before it became popular.

Cheers,
AnswerID: 50122

Follow Up By: Goran - Friday, Mar 12, 2004 at 18:51

Friday, Mar 12, 2004 at 18:51
You are missing the point Williem. What are you paying for? What services are provided to justify that fee?
FollowupID: 311913

Follow Up By: Willem - Friday, Mar 12, 2004 at 19:01

Friday, Mar 12, 2004 at 19:01
What point are you making Goran? There are many National Parks in this country where you have to pay an Entry and/or a Camping fee and NO facilities are provided other than access to a particular area.

When whitefellas charge money for entry there isn't a problem...when blackfellas charge money there is a hue and cry. Get over it. Pay the fee if you want to go or don't go there. Its your choice.
FollowupID: 311916

Follow Up By: Goran - Friday, Mar 12, 2004 at 19:14

Friday, Mar 12, 2004 at 19:14
What point ??
I don't understand what is so unclear about it?
Where in this great land is "whitefeller" asking for access fees without providing services?
This is not about the colours of the skin mate. It is about services, fees and blackmail.
Oh, and i will not go there untill the fee is justified. They can stick their waterfall where the sun never shines.
FollowupID: 311921

Follow Up By: Willem - Friday, Mar 12, 2004 at 19:30

Friday, Mar 12, 2004 at 19:30
Goran,

If you drive Googs Track in South Australia you need a camping permit. There are no facilities. There are endless examples throughout all the States and Territories of user pays for nothing. But how do you know whether the access fee to Mitchell Plateau is not going to be justified? There may be plans to do just that. You are going off half cocked like a few others in this thread about nothing. Get real.

We can argue the point all night but there is no need. Pay the 50 bucks or stay home.

FollowupID: 311923

Follow Up By: Coops (Pilbara) - Friday, Mar 12, 2004 at 21:10

Friday, Mar 12, 2004 at 21:10
whitefellas don't slug you $50 Willem and what they do charge is generally put into maintaining tracks, light facilities and providing rangers to help preserve the area.
I don't mind paying ten or twenty bucks but 5 times that amount and they can do without my company. I suspect that you wouldn't pay it either had you not seen MP already.
FollowupID: 311936

Follow Up By: Willem - Friday, Mar 12, 2004 at 21:32

Friday, Mar 12, 2004 at 21:32
Allyn,

Maybe I would pay the $50 if I had to. It is a three day pass. So $16 something per day. You pay four times that to access Cobourg Peninsula in the NT. What Anne has posted is about an entry fee. She has not posted about any facilities or such. How can you make a judgement from that? Someone posted here "What are they going to do with the money?" To them I say "What are you going to do with yours?" Once again the perception arises that whitefellas can charge but not blackfellas. My guess is that if this entry fee is too excessive and visitors do not come through the gates then it will force the hand of those in charge. They may also lose interest after a while. It happens. Mitchell Falls is only one of thousands of falls in the wide country. Some years ago there was a hue and cry over the Jardine Ferry prices in Cape York. How many people say "NO" and drive through the river? Once again I say if you want to go there you will pay the money. If not, Don't worry Be happy......

Cheers,
FollowupID: 311939

Follow Up By: Goran - Friday, Mar 12, 2004 at 22:21

Friday, Mar 12, 2004 at 22:21
Williem, your logic is so simplistic. If you apply it elsewhere you wouldn't like it so much. On the end of the day we all have the right to ask where that money will go. Unless the corporation in question owes MF outright which i doubt.
FollowupID: 311946

Follow Up By: Chris (W.A.) - Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 05:05

Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 05:05
Well spoken Goran & Allyn...and don't forget you're already paying for the camping. Willem, you had too many drugs in your last operation mate!
FollowupID: 311964

Follow Up By: Coops (Pilbara) - Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 08:52

Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 08:52
It's my interpretation that you will still have to pay the CALM fees , which from memory is $10 per vehicle and a further $10 per day per person after that.
I don't really care what they do with the money and I dead set hate this B v W Bull bleep .
My tip is as less and less people opt to pay for this privilege (right?), it will fall by the way of places like Theda Station, Manning Gorges, Anna Plains, Callawa..............the list goes on.

Don't worry................I am happy !
Appreciate your thoughts
FollowupID: 311971

Follow Up By: locallaw - Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 22:35

Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 22:35
Gidday All,How does a daily charge of $35.00 per day per car sound to everyone.We are going to a place called PORMPURAAW on the Edward river in Queensland.When I get back I will let you know what you get for $35.00.
Haveing been to Mitchell Falls (A bloody long way from the camp area)
I wont be going back.
Anyone going there not prepared for the roughest road in Australia and you break something look forward to haveing to pay thousands of dollars to be rescued and freighted on the back of a truck to where it can be repaired.
Seeya Martin
FollowupID: 312056

Reply By: Goran - Friday, Mar 12, 2004 at 18:45

Friday, Mar 12, 2004 at 18:45
Funny, before i emigrated to Australia i was told this is free country to travel unrestricted by all. Excuse me for my observation that setting up a camp on the side of the road and demanding a fee without any road maintenance and facilities sounds like good old highway robbery.
I suppose it is just a question of time before CSR coppes the same treatment.
AnswerID: 50124

Follow Up By: ian - Friday, Mar 12, 2004 at 21:35

Friday, Mar 12, 2004 at 21:35
Goran
you ask where is whitefellas charging $50.
I just paid $80 to N.S.W. Nat Parks to take my kids to Mt Kosciusko (theres another bloody place they've changed the name).
We stayed at Thredbo and paid good money for the hotel (no nat park service there), and paid $50 for a chairlift (No nat park service there) so in effect I got nothing for my $80.
Although I think $50 at Mitchell Falls is way too much, its not the only place.
Ian
FollowupID: 311941

Follow Up By: Goran - Friday, Mar 12, 2004 at 22:41

Friday, Mar 12, 2004 at 22:41
Who maintains the road there?
FollowupID: 311948

Follow Up By: ian - Friday, Mar 12, 2004 at 23:07

Friday, Mar 12, 2004 at 23:07
Our fuel taxes
FollowupID: 311953

Follow Up By: Chris (W.A.) - Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 05:15

Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 05:15
ian, come to WA and get an education mate. I, booked a ski trip at Mt. Buller, got a ski guarantee, and got my money back because the snow was gone on arrival....and I suppose you didn't get showers or nice warm beds at your "campsite" in Thredbo - obviously you've been to the Mitchell area or Kalumburu otherwise you would'nt have mentioned it.

Last I heard you don't get a bogged shi*ter, no power guarantee up in rip off merchant northern W.A.
FollowupID: 311965

Reply By: rads - Friday, Mar 12, 2004 at 19:11

Friday, Mar 12, 2004 at 19:11
$50. What a rort. Where's the money going and for what ?.
AnswerID: 50126

Follow Up By: goingplatinumcomau - Friday, Mar 12, 2004 at 20:26

Friday, Mar 12, 2004 at 20:26
I can see it now .......... 2 sets of books when the $50 is paid

Well we intend to offer more facilitys when we get more money in

May be Govt grant >?? can see it now we aint getin the people because no facilitys << 2 sets of books.

Well i propose we get a grant from goverment to improve facilitys then we will have more people come visit.
FollowupID: 311928

Reply By: greendog - Friday, Mar 12, 2004 at 20:48

Friday, Mar 12, 2004 at 20:48
well i reckon it would be better to go and buy a big fat JOKE book at least you would get better value for your money ,why i say JOKE book because thats what it is a bloody JOKE cheer,s peter
AnswerID: 50133

Reply By: ianmc - Friday, Mar 12, 2004 at 20:52

Friday, Mar 12, 2004 at 20:52
Hot topic this one! Anne, you should set up a camp on your in road & collect $50 from every indigenous person who wishes to pay you a call!
Maybe one on the road to Derby or Broome to catch them also!
Sure they have in the past been treated badly & get ripped off by white traders ( as we do too) when in towns but I guess that is a product of location.
AnswerID: 50134

Follow Up By: Goran - Friday, Mar 12, 2004 at 21:14

Friday, Mar 12, 2004 at 21:14
This is what happens when we stay silent. For as long as we stay that way this kind of rip off will continue. If everyone wrote to their elected goverment representative maybe our voice will be heard again.
FollowupID: 311937

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - David - Friday, Mar 12, 2004 at 21:42

Friday, Mar 12, 2004 at 21:42
Well at least you get your 50 bucks worth when you become a member of ExplorOz.
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 50140

Follow Up By: miker - Friday, Mar 12, 2004 at 22:58

Friday, Mar 12, 2004 at 22:58
That's why this is called a FORUM...good stuff. One minute snippet of information and so many conclusions drawn. I don't know any more than the rest of you so I'll keep my opinions "moderate" at this point. What is clear, especially given how the bush telegraph works in this country (and off-road industries), is there should be some scrap of marketing (just a fax to the tourist commission, automotive club etc.) to "sell" the benefits, if indeed there are any. Truth is we're used to being stroked before we are slapped with any new charge. It's all in the marketing, or lack thereof.

Miker.
FollowupID: 311950

Follow Up By: miker - Friday, Mar 12, 2004 at 23:13

Friday, Mar 12, 2004 at 23:13
....and speaking of marketing one's self or situation...well done Anne!
FollowupID: 311954

Follow Up By: Chris (W.A.) - Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 05:17

Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 05:17
will u take credit?
FollowupID: 311966

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Monday, Mar 15, 2004 at 12:25

Monday, Mar 15, 2004 at 12:25
Of course we take credit and every other form of payment - unlike some.
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 312171

Reply By: Blackie - Friday, Mar 12, 2004 at 22:59

Friday, Mar 12, 2004 at 22:59
A lot of you have you have simply presumed that "they" will simply waste it on all those nasty things that us whitefellas sell them. What if they don't ??
What about if they did improve the road a bit and the place became more accessible and more tourists arrived. They make more money, the road gets better and even more tourists arrive. So much so that The Gibb River Road ends up sealed. Some bright spark from Sydney decides its a great place for a resort and leases the area .. Surfers on the West Coast , metre maids , retirement villages. What an enterprise !!!!
Do you really want the road upgraded?
AnswerID: 50150

Follow Up By: Chris (W.A.) - Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 05:24

Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 05:24
Blackie,

As sorry as I'm to say it's nearly already that way. Admittedly, I went on it in July 2003 and there were vehicles coming from the opposite direction with caravans in tow (normal cars!!)(gibb rd)

I think it's the same on the developmental road to Cape York.

One day we will have to rely on the little hideaways that we know about and not tell anyone else including giving the GPS co-ords to anyone even on this site!

As it is there's a friggin Telstra phonebox on the CSR...dammit.
FollowupID: 311967

Reply By: Member - Cocka - Friday, Mar 12, 2004 at 23:10

Friday, Mar 12, 2004 at 23:10
There are too many assumptions being made about Mitchell Plat based what services someone has experienced else-where. Whilst I have no problem with making a comparison to determin value, based upon an individuals experience, and we all have a different opinion/gripe about different places, how can you get so worked up about the issue before you have all the facts, find out first how it will all operate and what are their intentions. You don't know that yet.
For my money it's not expensive for a three day package. Last year SWMBO & I stayed at King Edward camp for three days and there was no fee. We got to use a beautiful site by the river, used the absolute cleanest ever long drop toilets, got excellent local info from the caretakers, swam in the coolest safest river, were given fire wood on our first night, told where to find good bush art, swam up the top at Mitchell Plat and used the toilets up there, got to take some great pics etc - you get the storey? Now if we did the same again this year we would be paying $8.33 per day each. Almost sound too cheap.

This year I have to pay $90.oo to whitemen so as to cross the Simpson. I get some maps & the rest goes to the bureacats to keep some guy in a job issuing the passes and another patrolling the desert to make sure I have a pass and to pick up all the white mans (and womens) crap that they leave behind. So the B's and the W's are as bad as each other if you want to consider and compare it this way.

Value is in the eye of the beholder.

AnswerID: 50151

Follow Up By: Chris (W.A.) - Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 05:33

Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 05:33
Get your point but....

how bout maintaining the plateau road..and as you would know at the same time last year a big sign says, " this road not maintained".

Perfect disclaimer....for damage to your vehicle.
I'll pay the $50 as long as the wa*kers grade the track...don't they know how to work for a dollar these days?
FollowupID: 311968

Reply By: Anne from Drysdale River Station - Friday, Mar 12, 2004 at 23:29

Friday, Mar 12, 2004 at 23:29
Wow !
I knew people would be interested but what a response. Let me try to reply to some of the questions. The toilets at the King Edward River camp and at the Mitchell Falls car park camp are provided by CALM as are the camp hosts and rangers. As I understand it there is no fee being introduced to camp in these areas.
The road is maintained on a share cost basis by Mitchell Plateau Bauxite, CALM and the local Shire. It is not a 'main' road, it was a private road which I understand Mitchell Plateau Bauxite needs to maintain in an ' accesible' condition as part of holding the leases up there.
I think they were the main ones I could give answers to, as for future plans for the money re facilities, I have no idea.
Goran, you will need to contact me direct for a reply to your first question.
cheers, Anne
AnswerID: 50153

Follow Up By: Chris (W.A.) - Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 05:37

Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 05:37
Apart from that how did the wet season go?
FollowupID: 311969

Reply By: Member - Bob - Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 08:58

Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 08:58
I have to laugh at some of you guys - talk about sweat the small stuff!

You lose half of what you earn as income tax before you even spend it. Half of what you spend on fuel, grog etc goes in tax. If you buy a TRUCK worth over 60 grand, they throw on luxury car tax, stamp duty, registration, and then tax all those taxes again. You buy a house the states slug you stamp duty (20 to 40 grand).

We have three inefficient levels of government all triplicating bureaucracy, but all blaming each other for inadequate services, but all retiring on massive unfunded superannuation that you and I pay for.

And you carry on like kids who've had their lolly ripped out of their mouth over a lousy $50 (which is probably the best $50 you'll ever spend).

If it gives the traditional owners something to do and a source of income other than the crippling welfare handout then I'm all for it. If as a bonus it keeps a lot of whining, tight arsed tourists out of a fanatastic region, then I hope they quickly increase it.

See you in the Kimberley
AnswerID: 50168

Follow Up By: Goran - Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 09:59

Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 09:59
Hahahaha......goodnes me!
They sell some good stuff nowdays. What have you been smoking Bob.
Bob, you need to spend couple of years up north.........it is a real aye opener. Maybe you will understand things a little better.
FollowupID: 311978

Follow Up By: Willem - Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 18:41

Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 18:41
Goran

You show your ignorance by making assumptions
FollowupID: 312018

Follow Up By: Goran - Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 19:10

Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 19:10
I am not being ignorant Willem, just sick and tired of the people not knowing what they are talking about. I have been living in North W.A.
for 15 years now,have seen the place and know what goes on up here.
I bet you and Bob are one of this guys that beleive Troy Dan when he musters the roos from one paddock to another. Come to Halls creek, Roeburne, Port Hedland etc.....spend couple of years here. I like to see how long it would take for your oppinion to change.
I think i said enough on this subject.......better stop before i say something that would go against the forum policies.
Thank you David for letting us say our bit on this matter.
FollowupID: 312019

Follow Up By: Willem - Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 19:35

Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 19:35
There you go again...making assumptions. You do not know who you are talking to on this forum. I cannot speak for Member-Bob but I do know he has travelled extensively throughout this country.

I don't have to explain myself but I will. I lived in Darwin for 20 years, Alice Springs 3 years, Kununurra 1 year, Broome 1/2 year, Burketown 1/2 years, Cairns 1/2 year. I know most of the ins and outs of Northern Australia... towns, communities, stations.

I know how the whitefella mind works and I have an inkling of how the blackfella sees things. So please don't try to preach your brand of bigotry to me and tell me that I do not know what I am talking about.

End of discussion.
FollowupID: 312020

Follow Up By: Goran - Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 20:52

Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 20:52
Bigotry? Hell no. I just see it like it is. You don't know what you are talking about.
FollowupID: 312025

Follow Up By: Willem - Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 21:10

Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 21:10
Well Goran,

Seeing as you know what you are are talking about (without, I might add, going in to any detail) and I am presumed to be uninformed.....PLEASE enlighten me. Lay your cards on the table and explain what you have learned in 15 years of living in the North of WA that Member Bob or I are unaware of....
FollowupID: 312038

Follow Up By: Goran - Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 22:05

Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 22:05
No worries.Email me. What i have to say to you is not suitable for this forum.
majaciem3@yahoo.com.au
FollowupID: 312051

Reply By: Member - Ray - Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 13:34

Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 13:34
Further to my post at the beginning of this discussion,my complaint stems from my last two visits to AYRES ROCK where we were charged a fee to go to the rock and then had it suggested to us we should not climb it due to "cultural signifigance".On attempting to use the facilities (on both occaisins) the discusting condition of them prevented anyone entering. The huge fees collected were not visible in any improvements to any way to the areas.
(Sorry about the ayres rock thing but the name only got changed when there was a quid to made for the locals and now even their kids are going hungry according to the papers)
AnswerID: 50183

Follow Up By: michael - Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 16:42

Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 16:42
member ray, the name change you refer to is only to the whitefeller reference to this Aboriginal spiritual place. I'm certain Uluru was known by this name or similar, quite a long while before some whitefeller latecomers like us decided it was a fantastic place to quickly visit and put on their ' been there , done that list ' !
Cheers DRC
FollowupID: 312007

Sponsored Links