gps advice

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 16:09
ThreadID: 11215 Views:2408 Replies:6 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
I have asked for some help under another post but the heading doesn't allude to gps issues (only NT and fishing).
I am after a gps for both offroad work and fishing. My family and I are posted to Darwin at the end of the year and want something reliable, small and not overly expensive. However, I don't want to be left short of features. Budget around $500 or less.
Any help appreciated
Rob
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bob L - Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 16:38

Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 16:38
Rob
Have a look at the Garmin GPS 76 , www.gme.net.au .
This unit has,
1 - A good sized LCD
2 - Is waterproof and floats.
3 - Saves 10 seperate tracks
4 - Comes with PC lead
and lots of other good features and due to the Aussie Dollar price has recently dropped well below your budget figure.$479 RRP

By comparison the GPS 72 is cheaper by $100 but you would need to buy a PC lead if required and there is no external antenna connection.

At the other end of the scale the new Map60c at close to $1000 is very very tempting
Cheers

Bob L

AnswerID: 50189

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 17:12

Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 17:12
Looking at a GPS purchase too, and was quoted $379 for the GPS76, from Johnny Appleseed, "they" said it is a replacement for the older 12XL.

With external aerial, mounting cradle and extra 12volt power cable, price comes in under $600. Had a "special" arrive in mail, same setup, for over $700.

Think Johnny will get my loot.

Hooroo...
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 312011

Reply By: KiwiAngler - Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 16:38

Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 16:38
Much like the Toyota/Nissan and Ford/Holden issues GPS too has a Garmin/Magellen one. I have never looked at Magellan so all my comments are garmin related.

I have a GPS 12, GPS V and E-Map each has its use and each has its +ve and -ve depending on what your expextations are.

GPS12 an older model fairly basic but is the one I have in the boat
GPS V has auto routing but not if using Metroguide only City Navigator which doesnt have the 'street level' detail of the Metroguide
E-Map has removeable memory sticks, excellent detail when loaded with Metroguide, doesnt autoroute.

How do I use these?

I set my destination with the GPS V to 'get me in the ball park' then use the detail of the E-Map to 'drill down' to street or fire trail level.

All the above units have been superceded by the latest 'family' from Garmin but are still supported.

If I was to make a choice of the three I would go for the E-Map..... why?

Good for boat (but not waterproof so mount in protected area) good for 4by as it will show most fire trails (when loaded with correct mapping) can have memory expanded..can be hooked up to laptop for real time tracking, slightly bigger screen than the other 2 units

http://www.ja-gps.com.au/gpsprod_emap.html

IMHO
AnswerID: 50190

Follow Up By: BurnieM - Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 17:41

Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 17:41
The GPS V is still a current model and available at approx $700.
It has 19MB of internal memory for loading additional cost mapping.

Cannot work out why anybody would prefer the Emap to the GPS V (except perhaps for the larger removeable memory cards). In every other way the GPS V is superior).

I cannot recommend the Emap as the screen resolution is low, map redraw time is slow and it is not waterproof.

A basic GPSr will bo the job but only give you a grid based position.
Pretty much any GPSr will let you mark waypoints and let you navigate back to them giving you direction and distance to go.

If you raise your budget to $1000 then quite a few mapping units become options. Seeing your position overlaid on a map is very useful.
Both Magellans DiscoverAus and Garmins Metroguide GPSr loadable mapping CDs are very good products.

Cheers,
Burnie M

GPSmap 176
GPS V
FollowupID: 312013

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 18:14

Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 18:14
About to order a couple from USA this weekend...

But may just go the Platinums. Agree Eric?

theres some good prices out there

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All are in US$.

http://www.vanns.com/ CHEAP!!! Color GPS $285.02
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/405399503

www.buymagellan.com Meridian Color GPS Unit 329.95

www.gpscity.com Todays Price: US$339.95 (Save $159.05!!)
http://www.gpscity.com/gps/brados/4516.5.6959721707980576408/meridiancolor.html

www.mall24-7.com
http://www.mall24-7.com/cgi-bin/store.cgi?action=link&sku=980598-18&uid=6380
$319

http://www.compuplus.com/
Place that sells them for $263US thats for the colour Magellan!!!!

or in Aussie

Rudi Paoletti, he has Etreks new $190, hes on this board...
http://users.netlink.com.au/~maptrap/maplist.htm
AnswerID: 50204

Follow Up By: roblin - Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 20:55

Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 20:55
Truckster,
I noticed a few GPS's on ebay that were direct imports from the states with Australian maps already loaded. Is it viable and safe to import a gps?
What issues or problems are or may be faced with importing one?
Cheers
Rob
FollowupID: 312028

Follow Up By: roblin - Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 20:55

Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 20:55
Truckster,
I noticed a few GPS's on ebay that were direct imports from the states with Australian maps already loaded. Is it viable and safe to import a gps?
Cheers
Rob
FollowupID: 312029

Follow Up By: roblin - Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 20:56

Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 20:56
Truckster,
Cheers
Rob
FollowupID: 312030

Follow Up By: Member - StevenL - Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 21:40

Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 21:40
Roblin,

I have a Meridian Colour that I bought on EBay from a bloke in WA. It was in the original US box but had been loaded (probably by the seller) with the AUS basemap. The seller also include copies of the DiscoverAUS and GD Tracks CD along with a 128Mb SD card. All for $900.

Have used it extensively in SA and NSW so far with absolutely no problems.

StevenL
FollowupID: 312047

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce (San Diego) - Sunday, Mar 14, 2004 at 06:49

Sunday, Mar 14, 2004 at 06:49
Truckster (The Real One)

Look up the GPS units available at www.costco.com I've gotten a couple from them and found they have the best value, email me at
cycadcenter @ msn. com if you are interested

Bruce
FollowupID: 312067

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Mar 14, 2004 at 09:23

Sunday, Mar 14, 2004 at 09:23
Issues with buyign from USA

1) what to do with the other 50% of the price you save.
2) how to keep that 50% from the wife
3) Basemaps need to be changed, I had them, but lost them when lost my hard drive 6 mths ago, also lost 10 gig of maps and stuff :( they are a little hard to find.
4) figuring out if the units are refurbished or not.. but all on yahoogroup seem to think that its not a problem, and you can save even more buying that way.
5) Deciding which seller to go with, ive dealt with mall24-7 in the past, know they are genuine but their price aint competitive...

Bruce.
I had worked out who to order thru, but now I will check out that place you mentioned costco later, about to go and work on my train layout now... thanks good to know. Ordering tonight, one for me one for Eric! :-)~ complete with car mount, PC cables, the lot.
FollowupID: 312072

Reply By: EX7RHA - Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 21:23

Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 21:23
Rob.
I guess if your being "posted" your going to want it to be MILS/DEG and MGRS
capable.
I have a Garmin GPS12XL (discontinued now but you can still get them if you look around) and it will come in well under $500. I have had mine about 2 years now and use it for both work and play. I got it from a marine shop in Collingwood (Vic) and have had no problems with it at all. It gets bit of a rough time at work but has always come through with flying colours. Battery life is pretty good much better than my old GPS 38 and you can also fit it with an external aerial for the car. I also have the external aerial in my fourby and it never drops out under heavy canopies. Just remember as any GPS you do get, if it's got mils on it, it's a tax deduction!
Regards,
Nino
AnswerID: 50229

Reply By: EX7RHA - Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 21:25

Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 21:25
Rob.
I guess if your being "posted" your going to want it to be MILS/DEG and MGRS
capable.
I have a Garmin GPS12XL (discontinued now but you can still get them if you look around) and it will come in well under $500. I have had mine about 2 years now and use it for both work and play. I got it from a marine shop in Collingwood (Vic) and have had no problems with it at all. It gets bit of a rough time at work but has always come through with flying colours. Battery life is pretty good much better than my old GPS 38 and you can also fit it with an external aerial for the car. I also have the external aerial in my fourby and it never drops out under heavy canopies. Just remember as any GPS you do get, if it's got mils on it, it's a tax deduction!
Regards,
Nino
AnswerID: 50231

Follow Up By: Member - Cocka - Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 22:13

Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 22:13
You guys got twitchy fingers or what ?
EX7RHA I have the same Garmin as you but don't understand your MILS/Deg & MGRS abreviations, maybe I've had a whiskey too many tonight.
I'm not into using the computer mapping bits but I do use a lot of hard maps, compass and GPS for navigation. Even if the GPS fails I can still plot my way home, gee I must be old fashioned. I find my GPS allows me to position either by Lat/Long or UTM grid and...............
uh oh, I now just worked out what your abrevs mean. So forget the Q.

Rob there are some good references in earlier posts about GPS and books on their use. Mainly for fishing you will want to log plenty of way points (or Go To 's) and Track Back is handy for getting back along along winding mangrove creeks and shallow channels at night. Make sure to have 12v compatable and take the batteries out of the unit when on 12v -
Why ? beacuse if the 12v lead bounces loose the GPS will still run on the batteries & run them down, then if you need them for an emergency you are caught short. How do I know this - guess.
FollowupID: 312053

Reply By: Member - Des - Sunday, Mar 14, 2004 at 11:29

Sunday, Mar 14, 2004 at 11:29
There is a huge amount of info on these issues in the archives. See, for example,
Post 3794.

Note that:
- Magellan now sells maps of all of Aust in a single set, not State by State as before;
- Hema sells compatible maps of some regions;
- the exchange rate with $US is more favourable; and
- the Australia basemap is no longer available in the Yahoo newsgroup, but if you ask nicely someone will probably send it to you.

You need to ask yourself the basic question whether you need a mapping unit at all, or just one like the basic Magellan SporTrak. Its reception is very good, even in the vehicle; the works are the same as most of the more expensive Magellan models. If your budget is $500, a mapping unit - even from the US - will probably go over that once you add maps.

AnswerID: 50283

Sponsored Links