Help!! Setting up current Prado

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 16:19
ThreadID: 11216 Views:2946 Replies:7 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I have a current model Prado with the petrol engine. I am looking at doing the Simpson Desert in June with a mate and would like some suggestions on setting up my vehicle for the trip. I currently have the factory bull bar with a warn 9000 winch fitted. I also want to instal a GME TX6200 with an in car kit (help in arial choice would be good). I am going to install a tradesman roof rack and howling moon tent. Extra spare to go in the front storage section of the roof rack. An Engel 40ltr fridge is on the shopping list also. Not sure yet of the storage solution so some practical advice would be valued here.Driving light choice is difficult I would love to install the Lightforce 240 HID's but they are so large and I would have to install them fairly proud on the bull bar that they would be very sudceptible to damage so I am thinking of the IPF Super Rally with the alloy housings instead. How necessary is a snorkel? A bushranger air compressor (the $100 one) is also pencilled in for aquisition. Recovery gear is another big one, in a 4wd mag last month there was a comparo on most types I think I will settle with the T-Max recovery kit -only $250 and fairly comprehensive. Any advice on setting up would be greatly apreciated. Thanks in advance.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Glenno - Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 16:50

Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 16:50
If you dont have room for the Lightforce 240's get the Lightforce 170's. They rock.

A guide to choosing an Antenna can be found here :
GME Guide

Im biased towards the Engel, love my SS40 to death.
AnswerID: 50192

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 21:33

Saturday, Mar 13, 2004 at 21:33
Perf,
For a UHF aerial, you can't beat the POLAR, 6dB extended gain unit. Have a mounting spring built in, and compact enough for the 'burbs, but have performance of the bigger whips.

Hella produce an HID lamp, in the Rallye 1000 series, about 75% of price of the bigger HID's. Hella 4000's are good QH lamp, very robust, with best alignment system, of any light on market.

We've got a Black Widow storage system, which we're pleased with. A snorkel is cheap insurance, if you happen to have an attack of "bravado", when attempting some water crossings.

Might need some h/duty springs with all that "Fruit" added to the playdough.

hooroo...
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 50233

Reply By: Peter - Sunday, Mar 14, 2004 at 02:38

Sunday, Mar 14, 2004 at 02:38
We did the Simpson last year in our new Diesel patrol. Check out the fuel consumption are of the trip planning pages and make sure to carry enough - the Prado tank should be plenty.

I got drawers form Offroad Systems, Narellan near Camden. Quite a bit cheaper than others and work fine. Snorkel is worth getting. We have had an Engel (passed on to son) and now a Waeco. Both work well, Waeco is cheaper. Lightforce 170s are a good light and have the advantage of being light so they won't rattle loose on the corrugations.

Spend a bit more on the air compressor. You'll be letting tyre sdown a few times and it gets frustrating waiting for the cheap ones. We have an ARB mounted under the bonnet but there are several worth checking out. I hear the largest bushranger works well.

All that said, the Simpson is a great trip. Keep an eye out for camels.

Peter
Peter
VKS Mobile 1906

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 50261

Reply By: Phil G - Sunday, Mar 14, 2004 at 11:38

Sunday, Mar 14, 2004 at 11:38
Simpson desert will be fine with your standard 180 litre tanks - you'll probably use about 130-150 litres Birdsville-Oodnadatta. Winch won't be much use in the desert, but the extra weight on the front will mean that you will definitely need to upgrade the springs.

Check the spec for allowable weight on the Prado before buying the tent - 90series Prado had a 75kg limit for weight on the roof. While those roof tents are great if you're on the move every day, just remember that you'll have to pack it up every day when you're staying put, and may lose a campsite. I've had 2 engels and the latest model is brilliant.

Storage - I make my own, so I can change it when the needs arise, or I get better ideas. The steel drawers do weigh a lot, and waste space in my opinion. Also some of the drawers do not come out very far and the rear space is hard to access. Also, some offer the security of locks, but you can just unlock the fridge slide to get in the drawers. Its nice to have the engel at floor level so its contents are easily accessed. Lightforce are the first choice in lights. Ignore the snorkel, unless you're planning on water crossings. If you find the air cleaner dusts up quickly on dirt tracks, then maybe reconsider. Bushranger max air and the others ones out of the same factory seem good value - worth the extra money - this item doesn't depreciate much, and you can move it to future vehicles if needed.

Recovery gear - need a 9metre 8000kg strap, and a sling with two 3.25T bow shackles to use on the loop recovery points on the front of the 120 series.

You may want to check the 120scool tech section

Cheers
Phil
AnswerID: 50285

Reply By: srowlandson - Sunday, Mar 14, 2004 at 14:08

Sunday, Mar 14, 2004 at 14:08
G;day

I have a 120 Series Prado GX TD.

I did the Cape in it last year, and have heavily modified mine for 4wding.

Happy for you to fire any questions my way:

steven@offroadshoo.com.au or 03 9336 3340

Regards

Steve
AnswerID: 50292

Reply By: KIM - Sunday, Mar 14, 2004 at 20:12

Sunday, Mar 14, 2004 at 20:12
Perf
Contact me on kmcfarland@casey.vic.gov.au My Prado is being set up for a major three year project entitled 2006 Canning Stock Route Re-Enactment.
Cheers
Kim
AnswerID: 50319

Follow Up By: srowlandson - Monday, Mar 15, 2004 at 09:23

Monday, Mar 15, 2004 at 09:23
Can you forward info on your vehicle?

steven@offroadshop.com.au

I am keen to see how others have modified their 120 Series Prado

steve
FollowupID: 312162

Reply By: prado_95 - Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 23:52

Friday, Mar 26, 2004 at 23:52
Just keep in mind the the more weight you put up top on the rooforack, the more sercurely it will need to be fastened, and the more likely it is to fail.

Last simpson xing seen failures of 2/3 roofracks - overloaded. 2/3 would not stay on the roof in the expected locations (slid forward repeatedly).

Dave

AnswerID: 52162

Sponsored Links