TJ Wrangler - Leaking Master Cylinder?

Submitted: Monday, Mar 15, 2004 at 14:13
ThreadID: 11256 Views:1721 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hey all,

Just a quick question folks, I was wondering if anyone had had any problems with a leaking Master Cyclinder on TJ Wrangler. Accompanied with that I noticed a slight vibration and a minor grinding feeling feeding back through the brakes when there applied though this is only happens when the Wrangler is nearly at complete stop. I have checked the calipers and they seem fine, so I'm a little stumped at why this is happening? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jay
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: fozzy - Monday, Mar 15, 2004 at 14:40

Monday, Mar 15, 2004 at 14:40
know nothing about jeeps but could pssibly be compound of pads
drive a hilux ute round town a bit and if brakes get hot(ie quite a bit of heavy braking around side streets then pads grind-sensation like having metal on metal when no pads left. common problem in hiaces and hilux utes.
first time happened was a little bit nervous re stopping-but brakes still work ok
also could be a wear indicator on pads to alert driver they will need replacing shortly-quick call to dealer will tell u if problem with specific vehicle.
could be something wrong with abs??
AnswerID: 50397

Follow Up By: Jay - Tuesday, Mar 16, 2004 at 09:54

Tuesday, Mar 16, 2004 at 09:54
Thanks for follow up fozzy, appreciate it. I'll prolly strip her down on the weekend and have a good squizz, if all else fails i'll get a pro to take a look and get a couple of quotes.
FollowupID: 312300

Reply By: Baz (NSW) - Monday, Mar 15, 2004 at 20:30

Monday, Mar 15, 2004 at 20:30
Jay a leaking master cylinder is usualy an sign of dirt in the seals or just a worn seals a master cylinder kit fixes the problem. assuming there is no crack's in the master cylinder itself or in the lines. Oh Jay most master cylinders are made by a few companies not necessarily made by the vehicle manufacturer. You will find that the master cylinder is made by the same company that Ford or Chev.

Baz.
AnswerID: 50442

Follow Up By: Baz (NSW) - Monday, Mar 15, 2004 at 22:45

Monday, Mar 15, 2004 at 22:45
USE, thats should have been the last word in the sentence.
FollowupID: 312260

Follow Up By: Jay - Tuesday, Mar 16, 2004 at 09:56

Tuesday, Mar 16, 2004 at 09:56
Thanks for that Baz, I never really thought about that, so i'll check that aswell. The refiller @ the top seems to be leaking out of the bottom O-ring which is only rubber, but it also seems to coming out from under the lid but i dont see how as thats screwed on hand tight? I'm a little stumped on that aswell.
FollowupID: 312301

Sponsored Links