Simpson Desert Crossing

Submitted: Monday, Mar 15, 2004 at 17:05
ThreadID: 11262 Views:2489 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
I'm planning to cross the Simpson in the last week of march or so. I just read that the access routes are open again and the crossing is now possible.
But I'm not quite certain if it's a good idea at this time of the year. I fear the tracks will be quite rough (if not impassable) and what about the low sections? Will there still be some flooding, even if the tracks are declared open?
What will the weather be like that time of the year? Still too hot?

Thanks for your help
Tom
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Monday, Mar 15, 2004 at 17:42

Monday, Mar 15, 2004 at 17:42
Tom,

I think you are talking your self out of going on a great adventure.
The tracks can only get worse the latter you go across.
The water coming down from the north has now dropped the trackes are open, there might be some water around but how you get around it will be up to you.
It is mostly hot there all the time, but a look at a wheather chart for the area should give some idea of what to expect.
If this is your first crossing, go with someone who has been there before just in case. A 4WD club trip, or a tag-a-long if you cant find some to go with.
Don't rush the crossing, a minimum of 3 nights.
The end of March is a little early but some one has to be the first across this year.

Wayne
AnswerID: 50414

Reply By: Richard - Monday, Mar 15, 2004 at 19:53

Monday, Mar 15, 2004 at 19:53
Tom,

I'm doing the crossing West to East mid April with two other vehicles.
Did Innaminka/Coongie Lakes same time 2 years ago and there had been some rain with the roads just reopened. People had been stuck at Camerons Corner for three days. Road surface between Bourke and Wannering was difficult but OK at 30KPH. Temperature was comfortable.

AnswerID: 50428

Reply By: Crackles - Monday, Mar 15, 2004 at 19:55

Monday, Mar 15, 2004 at 19:55
First 20 cars through for the season will have a little more trouble on the wind blown crests and may take an extra day to get accross. Allow extra fuel for detours.
Get some local knowledge from Birdsville or Oodnadatta before you go. They're the experts. It would be wise to travell in a group this early. Craig......
AnswerID: 50429

Reply By: sean - Monday, Mar 15, 2004 at 20:17

Monday, Mar 15, 2004 at 20:17
We crossed about same time last year. Most others were doing it solo and there was about one vehilce per day crossing.

There was soft sand on the crests. The last 6 metres of Big Red was 45 degrees of soft sand but all the other dunes were ok.

It might rain while you are out there. It rained on us. And the flies were woeful.

I wold not be too concerned but consider fuel for detours and extra water if you get cut off by rain. You wont know if it is open until you get there.

Wish it was me.

Sean

AnswerID: 50437

Reply By: Member - Toonfish - Tuesday, Mar 16, 2004 at 02:27

Tuesday, Mar 16, 2004 at 02:27
being prepared of course with extra fuel and food and local knowledge from Ruth and Ian in Birdsville that early trip sounds like an adventure.

with others who have done the crossing of course
AnswerID: 50485

Reply By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Tuesday, Mar 16, 2004 at 11:49

Tuesday, Mar 16, 2004 at 11:49
Quote from Czeks who crossed east to west last week - 'Hardest 4wd ever done in his life'. absolutely no water in the Simpson Desert (there has been no rain at all) but due to long summer and very hot and windy there are large blows on eastern sides of the dunes, in some cases on the western sides of the dunes there is just a big dishing effect (that's fun if you are going too fast). The swales (between dunes) are dry as chips. Today is 16 March and weather has turned hot again - 35 now at 10:45 a.m. - has been nice at about 29. flies are really very very very annoying (due to green pick from the floods) - don't leave home without a fly veil. Only about 6 or 7 vehicles have been through and in some cases made tracks around normal track because blows too difficult. (More difficult east to west at the moment). Ranger has gone out to the Corner today for a look see. Tracks should not be rough at this time of the year - should be very soft sand. Only thing that makes tracks rough - TOO HIGH A TYRE PRESSURE (and trailers been dragged at too high a speed). Sorry, I think I was shouting just then. Have a wonderful trip - give yourself some extra time - you can normally average 25 klms/hour this might be slower due to sand blows and how much experience you have.
AnswerID: 50520

Sponsored Links